TRAK SHAK(Worth the Money????)

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:31
ThreadID: 55608 Views:9388 Replies:7 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Guys

Very close to buying a NEW TRAK SHAK,at 28K now that is with everything included,frigdes, generator,boat loader etc etc.

Are they good gear, obviously owmers feedback would be great.

MAtt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:39

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:39
Matt, there was a thread on here not long ago that was pretty critical. Seems they are now made in China. No personal knowledge on this, justt what I have read:

Trak Shak thread link
AnswerID: 293020

Reply By: Member - Jeff R (SA) - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:51

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:51
Made in China - so what?

I just bought a Trak Shak and the only thing I would say is to wait a couple of weeks until the final 2008 updates come through. The new ones use Anderson plugs for the fridge connections instead of lighter plugs which can rattle loose.

We will have ours in a week or two and after searching through a lot of different campers,we decided on the Trak Shak. The main reason being for the spaciousness of the inside area with 3 kids. Our second choice and preferred camper would be the Adventurer but it is just not big enough and more of a pain to put up.
AnswerID: 293023

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:58

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 21:58
Jeff

We yhave a 18' caravan and with a 15 yr old and 11yr old the front bunks are just not big enough for them so i say yes to the extra room with the two double beds and the lower room as well.

It looks like a really good deal with the boat loader,2 waeco 35 fridges,honda 2.0 genyy,kitchen,deepcycle battery setup,3 off 16x8 wheels not split rims,outboard carrier,independant suspension,6x 22 litre water containers,3 x22 litre fuel containers, 2x4.5kg gas bottles.Under floor storage containers.12 moths rego etc.

Dunno what has everybody else paid for a similar setup.

MAtt
FollowupID: 558630

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 06:21

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 06:21
Why support a company who deal with China when there as so many other options around?? Read comments on here from Track Shack owners who have the Made in Australia model and you will see that even they are distancing themselves from the made in China models.
FollowupID: 558675

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 06:25

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 06:25
Sorry forgor to add................Most of what we buy Made in China is about half price of what we buy Made in Australia.........so that would make the T/S on par with a 56K camper. I deal with made in china products on a day to day basis and although the quality is ok its not great.
FollowupID: 558676

Reply By: Musictomyeyes - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 00:42

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 00:42
I have a 2006 Trak Shak. Am really enjoying it. Lots of storage space, lots of living space. The boat rack - we use it as a roof rack for our table, boogy boards, bikes etc. Very handy and well put together.
Trak Shaks have been around for a very long time now, and are a well designed camper. We have not been having any probs with it.
At first I thought the stone guard was pathetic, until I worked out I didn't put it together right.....(duh...!)
Our 2 kids absolutley love it, and we have plenty of room for all their stuff. Expecting number 3 shortly, so the extra room is welcome. We had a couple join us on a camping trip, and they ended up staying in our camper. PLenty of spare room.
The little cubby room is fantastic for the kids. They love to play in there. And it is much cooler in there on a hot day!
I love the mobile kitchen as we often set up under a tree out of the sun. or behind one side of the trailer to get out of the wind.
I quite like using jerries compared a large single water tank. Works for me. Have water in any location I need it - or several at the one camp.(Just put a screw in tap in the bottom of the jerry). No noisy pumps in the middle of the night if the others go to bed early. Have heard people put water tanks and pumps etc on.....each to their own.
The karge interior space is just awesome if the weather gets wet. Doesn't feel cramped with the whole family in the floor area.
The fridges are fine. Extra room next to the fridges to carry the generator. Can fit a HOnda Eu20i there. Won't fit the 24000w yamaha though.
LED trailer lights are great. Never had an issue with them.
Brakes work well. Tyres are 265/75/16 and a nice chunky all terrain tread.
The only thing they should include is a properly installed lighting system. For the price, it should be included.
From my own experience, I have no hesitation in recommending the Trak Shak.
Regards,

Eugene
AnswerID: 293042

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 01:09

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 01:09
Eugene

Thats great so you think for 28K im not getting a bad deal then,its just a complete setup for everybody,kids got there own room so to speak they can spread there stuuf out however they want without imposing on the other areas.

Boat rack is good cause i just bought a 3.5 metre tinny that was going to go on the car but now will go on the trailer.

Only thing missing i think is internal lighting in main room.

MAtt
FollowupID: 558671

Follow Up By: Musictomyeyes - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:53

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:53
Hi Matt,
With respect to value, really, only you can judge. It sounds to me like you've pretty much made up your mind - so go for it. It really is a very nice camper, and you won't regret it. They do hold their value well.

Personally, I think they are a little overpriced new, which is why I bought an as-new 10 month old trailer with all the features of the new ones, and saved a bundle of cash. I have the same attitude to cars, and probably won't buy new again, but rather a low km model and keep the extra for accessorising. But that's me....
As well as on this site, there are currently lots of trak shaks on tradingpost.com.au.
When I was looking for a 2nd hand trailer, I also looked at Ebay and http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader.htm

When doing a search on trading post and ebay, make sure you look up both "trak shak" and "trakshak" .

If you prefer to buy new rather than second hand, it still is a hell of a lot of camper, and I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy the quality and flexibility it offers.
My wife is really enjoying the camper too. She is currently 7.5 months pregnant, and we're heading away in it for Easter. She loves it. She says now at the end of a camping trip, she is no longer hanging out to get back to her 'own bed'. She's very happy being away in the trailer, and especially having all the sleeping areas out of the walking/living area. And the flyproof area when the files are out, is just fantastic. We get people gatecrashing us to get out of the files.

As to other wholesale dismissals of Made in China goods.....well, I think the key is to check the quality of the item you want yourself. There are lots of us with good Chinese-made Trak Shaks, but there are some who have had some problems. My guess is that they would have had some quality control teething problems when they started manufacturing over there. To generalise and say Made in China stuff is no good, is just wrong.....For those who have had problems with their Aussie made campers, it's not becuase they're Australian made, it's because their quality control failed at that point in time.

If I could have gotten an as new Aussie made TS I would have, but fact is, they don't make them here now.(Consequently they are not into the $30000+ range (yet!!). )

Good luck! Go with your gut, and just enjoy the thing!!

Eugene
FollowupID: 558839

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 22:54

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 22:54
Had a good look on trading post, they have what i want but they are all interstate and by the time i get it transported ,licensed etc i maybe wouldnt save anything and dont get a warranty.

Anybody have any idea on transport from VIC/SA to WA.

MAtt
FollowupID: 558901

Follow Up By: Musictomyeyes - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 23:22

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 23:22
Sorry no idea on transport to WA. (Might be an idea to post a new thread on that topic and see other people's ideas).
Getting the trailer registered shouldn't be expensive at all. Rego transfer in VIC cost me about $25, I think. Because it's a trailer, it was way cheaper than a car.

The other option is to take a couple of days off and drive to pick it up and tow it back. Though I think there may be some funny rego laws in WA if I remember correctly..
You should still make a few thousand dollars savings on a late model trak shak.

Eugene
FollowupID: 558909

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 23:50

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 23:50
Eugene

Yeah the rego doesn't really bother me,its just time constraints are getting low.Im leaving for warra station on the 28th of next month and trying to get ot here and sorted before then will be tight.

BTW i have no license unitil midnight on the 28th so im screwed either way.

So looks like the order will stand,i have the option of cancelling up until tomorrow arvo.

Matt
FollowupID: 558910

Follow Up By: smifffy - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:33

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:33
Matthew ,United Fuel,

i had a trailer freighted from vic to qld & it only cost me $495.

i could not do it myself for the price of diesel.

search google under caravan / trailer freighters,

thats how i found my guys.

cant remeber who they were but the job they done was unreal.

good luck.
FollowupID: 564397

Reply By: Member - John T (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 05:12

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 05:12
Morning Matthew,

I collected my Trak Shak in May 07 after paying a deposit on it the previous August - thought that was OK. Went to Adelaide from Tamworth to collect and the folk at Trak Shak spent quite a while showing us how it all works. I paid $26K for mine - did not opt for the solar setup cos I have a 1k Honda to charge the batteries. I travel with friends so the 2nd QS bed is perfect. I love the storage under the beds - so much room for more "stuff" - chairs, dual fuel stove, shower room etc - the CT is ready to go at a moments notice cos everything is always packed - just fill the water jerries and put the cold stuff in the fridges and GO. I run the fridges 24/7 through the 3 stage charger that I fitted. Also fitted 2nd deep cycle battery next to the fridges so I don't have to charge the batteries every day - can get 3 - 4 days.
I was skeptical at first when I learnt about the Chinese manufacture but having looked at lots of different CT's and quite a few Oz made Trak Shak's, I decided that the quality control is good and to date cannot fault the workmanship.
I too would like lighting in the main tent area but have 12volt flouro's rigged so I can move them about where I want. Have fitted a 12 volt LED for the 2nd QS bed to keep friends happy with a reading lamp.
Takes only a few minutes to setup for a quick O/nite stop and only a few more minutes to put a few more pegs in for a longer stay.
I have removed the gas bottle bracket and fitted a box for my Honda - I use dual fuel stove. And there is even room in the storage area for the clothes washing drum - clothes in, water in, detergent in and away we go - clothes out , rinse and hang up.

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 293050

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:02

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:02
G'day Matt,

Willie has one for sale in the trader section on this site, take a look, might suit you.
AnswerID: 293056

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:28

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:28
Thanks bushfix , but I sold it yesterday for $17,000 . I bought it for $20,500 in 2003 , so they hold their value well .

Trak Shak "GOOD"
Two queen sized beds .
Huge floor space .
Huge storage space .
Proven great off road design - strong , but not heavy.
Low ball weight .

Trak Shak "BAD"
Have to undo stone guard to get to fridge .This is a struggle and a dirty job .
Time consuming to erect and especially to pull down and stow away. In fact , we used to swag it , if stopping for two days or less.
Poor underbody and general paint protection . As soon as a dirt road is travelled , they start to rust up ( rock chips ) . I would treat the entire underbody with a two part tar finish , if I was buying one today .

I have no knowledge about the quality of the Chinese made models.

Cheers ,

Willie

PS .
If you get one , and you get a water tank , make sure you also have provision for three jerry cans of water as well as fuel . If you find water somewhere and it is OK for washing only , you cannot mix it with you drinking water . I preferred six water jerry cans and long range fuel tanks in car .
FollowupID: 558691

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:57

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:57
Good stuff Willie,

now, quickly get the Tojo in there before the space gets filled with crap!

btw, hope your waterhole is complete so you were able to take advantage of the recent rains.
FollowupID: 558697

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 15:40

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 15:40
Willie's wallow is progressing very well . We laid a huge waterproof rubber mat down , ringed it with bloody big sandstone rocks and built a two stage waterfall which has 10,000 litres an hour flowing over it .

I am now planting a forest around it , in fact I have just returned from the nursery with some cycads , small palms and ferns .

The night after it was filled , l the marsh frogs had an orgy which lasted for four days . Now they are all lying around on their backs smoking and looking pleased with themselves .

Willie .
FollowupID: 558754

Reply By: Member - michael H (NSW) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:08

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:08
Hi Matthew, Are they worth the money?? If you can afford a new one and are happy with the set up maybe they are. But if it was me I would be looking second hand (two in the trader section approx 18k) that would leave 10k for what ever fridge/s, genny,solar panel and accessories you prefer.Willie's one has a boat loader I think ? with only a half a dozen trips under its belt.
I personally wouldn't use the fridges in the storage area probably leave the fridge in the back of the car.
I have lighting inside my camper (see rig pics).
I have seen the the new Chinese version at the camping shows and "My" opinion is. The stainless steel welding looked less than perfect, the feel of the canvas was a lot thinner than the aussie version. Overall I'm happy with my 1996 unit.
Re the boat loader I have gone a different way, I figured that if I wanted to leave camp and take the tinny I would throw it up on the car and go, so you have to have racks on the car or a folding boat trailer.
For transporting I am about to mount some unistrut channel to the camper so if I want I can slide the tinny off the back of the car onto the camper or vice versa just to cover all options.

Michael
AnswerID: 293063

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 15:31

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 15:31
Michael ,

When I had my Trak Shak , one of the best features was the boat rack. I put a tinnie or a couple of canoes on there and also threw firewood on there at the end of the day .

It takes 10 seconds to swing it out of the way when you want to set up camp .

Willie
FollowupID: 558752

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 15:18

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 15:18
So many products designed and made in China are totally suss these days - the products designed elsewhere but manufactured in China under supervision are a different story it seems - the Trakshak is one of the latter I guess - for that price, you seem to be getting plenty of hardware in the deal. That company took over Campomatic Trailers (I have a Campo) - they were totally unresponsive to me when chasing up a part - as I recall, others have said the same - as for their customer support these days, others can say................

AnswerID: 293122

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew ,United Fuel- Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:30

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:30
Exactly

Designed here built there with cheaper labour, spoke extensively with there manger today and he pointed out that.

The stainless was 306 grade for about 25 trailers and is now 316
The canvas is made in the hunter valley shipped to china to be made up as we see it.
There is a new dealer in my state WA (winnebago agent also and they dont sell bleep ) to cater for any problems.

He has heard all peoples concerns and i offered him some negative feedback that i had heard, BUT at the end of the day it IS all about personal choice and circumstance so i parted with a gregory peck today and will pick it up next week.

MAtt
FollowupID: 558855

Sponsored Links