chasing rocks

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 18:53
ThreadID: 55639 Views:2159 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G;'day - just thought I'd share a great day we had yesterday - not strictly 4WD topic - but a great day nonetheless.

Headed off to Launching Place early morning to meet some other members of our local gem club - were going gold panning, but as it was top 30"s decided too hot out in the open, so changed venue to a creek spot we know near there - well what a day - standing in a creek, in gum boots, shorts and top - digging holes, sieving through the rocks to find yellow citrine, clear crystal or smoky quartz - got fair bit of all three - only fell in the water once - looked like I was a gilded statue - covered in mica from the creek - stepped into a hole that came half way up my thigh - water inside gumboot - fighting blackberries - legs scratched to billyo(??) - but how much fun is this.
Hardly another sole was seen apart from a couple of walkers, and a couple of trailbikers - who slowed down so as not to cover us in dust - just pristine bush - beautiful straight gum trees, crystal clear creek - and a whole lot of stones to polish or cut or just admire, along with the other several thousand we have.
Hope this post is not too long and boring for you - or off topic - but just wanted to share my beautiful day with some others who love this country as much as I do.
jules
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:11

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:11
Not boring at all Jules,
Sounds like a beautiful place. What a shame about falling into the water!

Laura
AnswerID: 293173

Reply By: obee - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:37

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 19:37
This is the sort of post I want to read more of. I won't bother you with my exiting day at home cleaning the gutters and sorting the reticulation problem that grew with the tree roots. It was a jungle out there I tell you but although I absorbed a few scratches too I did not find any gems to boast of. Unless a successful outcome could be described thus.

LOL

Owen
AnswerID: 293178

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:36

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 20:36
I love rocks , especially anything clear or translucent . I'm always bringing them home and never know what to do with them .

I think at 30 degrees you should have fallen in more than once .

I like rock / gold posts , because that's the sort of stuff a lot of us like to do .

Thanks ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 293205

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:30

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:30
Image Could Not Be Found

I don't know if I uploaded the photo correctly or not, but its of 3 sapphires we had cut from one stone we found near Rubyvale, Qld. last Winter.
AnswerID: 293224

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:36

Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:36
Apparently I did do it right !!!!!! The original stone was about thumbnail size, with a few flaws, hence the three small stones, rather than one fairly substantial one. In the photo they're shown on the lens of a small LED torch to show them up. They are a beautiful deep turquoise colour. SWMBO will have something made with them when we return to the Gemfields this Winter. At the moment there's a fair bit of water on the fields. Cheers all.
AnswerID: 293228

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:31

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:31
A beautiful post Julie,

Many of us are out there doing things like you; it may be bird watching, canoeing, photography etc and being the reason we are out there, a post like yours is certainly not off topic. I wish there were more posts like yours to read. Thank you.

Regards

Brian
AnswerID: 293282

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 17:51

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 17:51
Thanks for all your positive comments re our great day rockhunting - we are off this weekend to a place near the Western Grampians chasing some black Mooralla crystals -
am going to try and post a photo of some aquamarine we got in North Qld a couple of years back - was originally about 50 carats - got three good stones of of it - just waiting to have them set - here goes with photoImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 293812

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 17:52

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 17:52
Sorry for the quality.
FollowupID: 559511

Reply By: Member - Lost Dog(WA) - Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 19:06

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 at 19:06
Gday Julie P. Don't stress about it not being a 4WD topic. The site is Explore Oz. Not 4wd Oz. Looks to me that you explored in Oz and are therefore ON topic.
Cheers
Col
AnswerID: 293833

Sponsored Links