EASY to MEDIUM 4x4 and CAMPING close to Orange

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2008 at 21:43
ThreadID: 55649 Views:1702 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A few months ago I posted a thread asking for suggestions for a good camping and easy/medium 4x4ing 1/2 way between Wagga Wagga (NSW) and Sydney ( see post 53658 ) for which I thank all those that responded.
We did the "Bendethra Trek" using maps and waypoints d/l from the ExplorOz website and had a great time. My mate conquered hid fear of water crossings and has begun to set up his 4x to enable him and his family to do more camping etc.

Which leads me to this latest request

Does anyone have any suggestions for a easy/medium terrain with good camping within 100kms of Orange that I can take my mate to?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul C (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 14:34

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 14:34
Have you tried Wyangla Dam.
Pretty easy driving with a couple of hills that will test a beginner.
Campings alright and fishing as well

Paul
AnswerID: 293338

Reply By: sfletch - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 19:25

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 19:25
Not sure how far Hill End is from Orange,but the Turon river was a good place to camp yrs ago when i was last there.Did see a segment on a 4wd video about Ophir which is not far from Orange tho i have never been there.
AnswerID: 293409

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:28

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 22:28
Depends on what sort of party you have.
Do you have a truck load of ankle biters and that sort of thing?

Google "Turon Gates" on the upper Turon River below Capertee, the property has a camping area as well as their log cabins for rent.

One area I would recommend to any person in driving distance is to visit the old mining town of Yerranderie. This is an old silver mining town that declined at the end of their thirties. A privately owned town locked between the Warragamba Catchment Reserve and National Parks. Google for info or come back on the forum and I will post all I can. A number of the original old buildings have been restored and are available for o/night or weekend accommodation. The town also has a camp area with showers and camp kitchen.

I personally camp in the Police Paddock adjacent to the old court house and police station which is outside the boundary of the private town and thus free of charge.

Ian
AnswerID: 293483

Sponsored Links