Great Ocean Road Question??

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 17:21
ThreadID: 5580 Views:2172 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
For those who have travelled the G.O.R.....

I'm planning the big trip from WA across the bottom and into the Flinders Rangers.

From the flinders I have to get to Melbourne. I want to see the grampians and do the G.O.R.

I figured I would cut into the top end of the Grampians via Horsham, do the National Park then cut straight down to Warrnambool and do the G.O.R. from there to Melbourne.

If I do this, can anyone tell me if I will miss any MUST DO's along the Nelson to Warrnambool stretch of the G.O.R.????

Any advice appreciated

Cheers
Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 17:51

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 17:51
And just as a bit of a twist..

I've only got about 2 weeks to get from the flinders to melbourne. With this amount of time, should I forget the Flinders this trip and concentrate more on the goodies in Victoria???? That would mean about 3 weeks up my sleeve to have a look around Vic. I have to be on the boat to Tassie around the 24th/25th Oct.
AnswerID: 23160

Reply By: Member - Motley - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 18:16

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 18:16
Andy,

A couple of web sites worth looking at

Great Ocean Road - Beyond the 12 Apostles

Great Southern Touring Route

All towns along GOR are spectacular, but the standouts (for my money) are Port Fairy, Apollo Bay, Lorne

Things to do include walk along the Moyne River in Port Fairy, lunch at the Wye River Pub - between Apollo Bay and Lorne - best view from any pub in the world! Lorne Foreshore Caravan Park is a great place to stay- right on beach

From top of Grampians, take Victoria Valley Road to Dunkeld - it's the netter scenery of the two. IF your are pushed for time you can head straight to Port fairy from Dunkeld, via Mt Eccles National Park and Tower HillMotley
AnswerID: 23161

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 20:45

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 20:45
Ive done the GOR heaps on a bike, there are things to see but I wouldnt say 2 weeks worth.. We do the Melbourne to Port Campbell section in 1 day, so thats the majority of it all!

Search Google, and travel Vic sites for other things to see, but I'd give it 3-4days TOPS.
AnswerID: 23165

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 22:45

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 22:45
Andy,

Of course your biggest drawcard would be to call in and see me in Terang about a half hour on the Melb side of Warrnambool.....but failing that, dont miss the following:

Grampians: Take a tour around the upper reaches of Victoria Valley, southern part of the Grampians, near Dunkeld. Make sure you climb Mt Abrupt its a refreshing climb but well worth it! Jimmys Creek, on the road from Halls Gap to Dunkeld is a nice "bush" campsite but not much firewood in camp (drive up the road a bit and throw some in/on the car).

Mt Eccles mentioned elsewhere is worth a look between Hamilton and Port Fairy, Port Fairy itself is great and dont miss the "horny angel" at Warrnambool at night, its a great tragedy of design....Ask a local for directions and best viewing position.

The GOR really starts through Allansford (10km east of Warrnambool) but go through Timboon and drop into the Timboon cheese factory for some delicacies and locals like no other. Hook back from Timboon towards Peterborough and take in the GOR things like London bridge and the apostles, just before Lavers Hill there is a small park with glowworms galore and they are well worth the visit as is the forest giant tree there, an easy walk from ther carpark. (although coming from WA this tree is are just like Walpeup). Have a coffee at Lavers Hill and admire the view at the Restuarant on the top of the hill.

Take you time along the GOR, there are heaps of falls and drives just off the road and if you have the time theres exploring to do, just watch the road surfaces, its wet there in the middle of January, and if you intend getting serious take two winches. Theres heaps of caravan and camping parks along the GOR to drop in about 4pm when the day starts to wind down. Aplool Bay and Lorne and Anglesea are the major towns (villages really), but hook thru to Torquay just past Anglesea and take in the surf culture with "seconds" shops of RipCurl, etc etc etc as well as the real thing along the Surf Shop esplanade.

Making me jealous now, might drop down that way next weekend.

Have a good trip, email me if you want a guide!!!! Or a cuppa and a rest.

CyaSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 23176

Follow Up By: Andrew - Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 23:57

Saturday, Jun 21, 2003 at 23:57
Bonz

Thanks for that, a really helpful bit of info.

I have printed this one off and put it in my (Vic) file for reference when I get there.

Put on the billy, 'cause I'll be up for a cuppa by the time I reach Terang!

The minister for home affairs was happy with the cheese info....gives her another excuse to down a bottle of red while sampling a few delights close to her heart.

Appreciate your response. And all the others of course.

Be there mid October.

Cheers
Andy
FollowupID: 15375

Follow Up By: Andrew - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 00:05

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 00:05
One other thing Bonz

Would you then be agreeing with what I put in the original question about coming in from Horsham...doing the road to Halls Gap, onto Dunkeld then straight down to the GOR T section just west of Warrnambool (near Killarney Hill)

Would I miss anything doing it this way?

Its seems the most logical way with out back tracking anywhere.!

(I'm looking at a map in the Explore Australia 2003, book) If thats helps.

Cheers
FollowupID: 15376

Follow Up By: Geoff - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 07:52

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 07:52
Hang a right at the T intersection and take a look at Port Fairy. It's only a few k's down the road and well worth a look. Also, don't miss Mariners Lookout at Apollo Bay. It's a few hundred metres past the town centre on the Melb side. One of the best views along the GOR IMO.
Cheers
Geoff
FollowupID: 15379

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:19

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:19
Andy, from Horsham drive down towards Hamilton and take the left hand turnoff towards the Grampians through Brimpaen or Wonwondah, that brings you in the back of Halls Gap, stop at Zumsteins and feed the kanga's and have a cuppa, then on to Halls Gap and then Dunkeld.

That road brings you out near Koroit, but Port Fairy is worth a look and its only 10km from the T intersection on the Princes Hwy.

Its all good thru there. Lotsa cows and dairy area
So many places to go!
FollowupID: 15394

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:03

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:03
Andrew try to include a bit of the SA coast. You can legally drive on the beaches in SA and i'd recommend the Robe to Beachport (or part of it) run and also crossing the Coorong and driving on the ocean side of the dunes. Absolutely fantastic and there are designated camp sites fronting the ocean.
AnswerID: 23191

Follow Up By: Andrew - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:16

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:16
Mick

How soft is it???

I'll be travelling with just my family(wish we a another group)...don't want to be digging myself out!

I'll be towing a 1 tonne camper van.

cheers
FollowupID: 15389

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 23:47

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 23:47
Robe is a famous 4wd destination... sometimes it can be done alone, but I wouldnt be doing it with a camper alone.

YMMV
FollowupID: 15446

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 14:37

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 14:37
Andy,

If you are coming all that way, drive past Melbourne, up past Mansfield and go see Craigs hut in the high country, it would have to be the most amazing scenery, apart from Bluff Hut that I have seen.

So many places to go!
AnswerID: 23201

Follow Up By: Andrew - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 17:34

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 17:34
I can see Mansfield on the map Bonz, but where's the hut from there???
FollowupID: 15412

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 17:59

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 17:59
Andrew,

You might need a Vic high country map to find it. Basically head for Telephone Box Junction, up thru Mansfield towards Mt Buller and then for the circuit road, on which Telephone box juntion sits. depending on the time you are there, that may be as far as you can get but if you follow the circuit road, left or right you'll come to the turnoff (if you turn left at the Junction its on your right and vice versa).

Well worth a lok but the High country is such a nice place it all well worth a look.

If you email me Andrew I may be able to get a seciton of map to you that would help.

Renegarde

So many places to go!
FollowupID: 15557

Reply By: Pete G - Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 18:47

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003 at 18:47
Andrew,
Strongly suggest that you do from Portland and pick up Port Fairy on the way. We did Melbourne to Port Fairy in one day and got out of the car a lot, bit of a stretch but can be done.
I guess it is whether things nautical appeal to you - there is a lot of history in this area and if you have kids it would be a very lesson for them . The maritime museum at Warnambool can easily occupy half a day. If the whales are about then well !!!. The wreck of the Loch Ard between Port Campbell and Warnambool is well worth a visit.

Honestly, 3 days would be ideal but if you plan things out and don't mind long days then 2 days would give you a reasonable look. There is an excellent info book put out free by Vic. Tourism - this is almost mandatory.

The Flinders could be done in 4-5 days if you come in through Hawker and leave via Arkaroola out via Yunta then Wilcannia down to Wentworth. Arkaroola to Yunta is about 5hrs, After that it is all 110 kph to Wentworth and if travelling we reckon on calculating the days average at 10 to 15km below the speed limit if you travel at it and take the minimum recommended breaks.

Regards

PeteG

AnswerID: 23221

Sponsored Links