Cape York - June 2008

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 20:59
ThreadID: 55954 Views:1868 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi - we are first time travellers to Cape York and heading from Nr Sydney to the top and back - leaving Syd 31 May. We have a Prado ULP and off road camper trailer. Its my husband, our 3yr old and myself. ( I am also new to this forum in case I missed something obvious I am asking in other posts)

Any tips generally? I have done lots of research and prep.

Just noted comments about snorkle which we dont have.... should we and what if we dont? We dont want to do the real rough stuff and have done a fair bit of 4WD before so familiar with the basics.

Plan is to check in at local stops to check raod conditions etc as we go to see how things are once we are there as I understand it can change day to day.

Keen to chat with others heading up around the same time

Sonja
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Angler - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 21:34

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 21:34
Drive slow and watch out for idiots, especially any hire 4WD's they go faster than any known other 4WD and they usually cannot stop. Unsure your UHF if tuned to channel 40 as most of the larger trucks have theirs on 40. Be very careful behind anyone as the dust will mask any oncoming vehicles.

Check out a couple of members storys on www.ansa.com.au

Pooley
AnswerID: 294913

Follow Up By: Lunny0204 - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:04

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:04
Thanks for that... yes we decided to fit the UHF instead of the sat phone. There are pros and cons for each.
FollowupID: 560821

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 21:17

Saturday, Mar 29, 2008 at 21:17
Specially watch out for "Doc" as he travels too slow and "Fuller" will be picking up pieces of his camper, so watch out for him too, LOL
Ron, did Foxy tell you about the hash key?
FollowupID: 561508

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:06

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:06
Ron Moons Cape York Guide is probably still the best info on the area & will answer 90% of your questions.
Pack light & travel at a steady pace as many so called offroad trailers get demolished on the rough roads. Cover your back window to avoid glass breakage.
By June the creeks are normally at a relatively low level so a snorkel is not a necessity but is good insurance. Many just walk the creeks to check then tarp up when required.
You will be arriving at peak season so expect to see 200+ 4by's a day, dust is a real problem.
Have a great trip.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 294921

Follow Up By: Lunny0204 - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:21

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:21
Yes have that book its great reading. I have done a fair bit of research but also wanted to talk to people who have been there done that recently too. Have not heard about the back window bit what do you suggest to cover it with?
So many people say you HAVE to travel with someone else or do a tag along. I also figured it was peak time and would be busy. I travelled the Oonadatta track a few years ago and it was like a highway with cars. When the axel mounts ripped off the trailer we had at the time someone stopped to help and even had an angle grinder so we could take th eterg with us !! Travellers are alwasy the most friendly, helpful people you will meet and everyone is always helping complete strangers - its great. Thanks for the comments
FollowupID: 560834

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:47

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2008 at 22:47
I simply tape a sheet of plastic corrugated cardboard (Coreflute) but others go to more trouble using perspex so they can still see out. Willem had a post a while ago with photo's of how he did his.
I almost always travel in a group for the security but at that time it's certainly not required. Although you don't want to make yourself a burdon on others if a lone traveller did break down there would be plenty of others passing by more than willing to help out.
Cheers Craig........
FollowupID: 560839

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:29

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:29
you say you don't want to do the real rough stuff, if this is the case then it's easy enough to take the developmental rd at bramwell junction and come in for a look at gunshot from the alternate side track. you can also do the first bit north from elliot falls and then cut back onto the developmental rd missing nolans croosing. we did both these options on the way north as one of our group wasn't prepared for any decent 4wding, he left us at punsand bay to head home alone and we did the OTL on the way back south. the road out to chilli beach is also pretty easy going if it hasn't rained.
hope this helps alittle.
AnswerID: 295090

Sponsored Links