Innamincka add-ons

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2008 at 22:43
ThreadID: 56138 Views:2857 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Following on from a thread a little while back, I'm looking for some comments about destinations/route on the way to the Innamincka gathering.

The base data: just myself and our 8yo (Liam) travelling, need to be back on the Monday after the gathering (need to fit into Vic school hols this time) so a window of 2 weeks Melbourne-to-Melbourne. Driving an NP DiD Paj with 600km dirt road range, water and supplies for 5 days between stops, AT tyres, UHF and possibly satphone plus basic recovery and full first aid etc. Whilst taking into account the reality of "sole traveller" limitations, we camp around 30 nights a year so average offroad/semi remote is ok for both of us.

Ideally we'd like to go to Coober Pedy, Birdsville and the Innamincka surrounds (Coongie, Cameron Corner and the Burke & Wills links). My gut feel is that Coober Pedy adds too much distance for 2 weeks. Does it make sense to include Birdsville in an Innamincka/Birdsville duo or should the trip be something like meandering through Broken Hill (is there a fossicking experience for Liam to replace Coober Pedy?), then Cameron Corner and a week around Innamincka? Were were in the Flinders Ranges in 2006 and don't want to go back yet.

All suggestions much appreciated.

Adrian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 06:23

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 06:23
Adrian, if you want to do some fossicking for opal, I would suggest White Cliffs.
You can go anywhere on the fields at White cliffs without any hassles.
AFAIK, Coober Pedy is a bit restricted now as to where you can go.
It would also be a bit more convenient to get to White Cliffs on your circuit than going all the way to Coober Pedy, consequently cheaper.
Sturt National Park is a great park to visit as well, with, of course links to Charles Sturt at Fort Grey and Mt Poole.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 295907

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:14

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:14
Adrian,
There is a really cheap caravan/camping ground at White Cliffs with hot showers etc cant remember if it has a bar b que we didnt use it i dont think but that was three years ago. barb
FollowupID: 561951

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:21

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:21
Watch out for Jock :)
FollowupID: 561977

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 22:44

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 22:44
Thanks Dave & Barb - I hadn't thought of White Cliffs but have now got the maps out and a plan has come together!!

Dozer, who's Jock?

Adrian
FollowupID: 562321

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 17:44

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 17:44
Jock has a mine in White Cliffs and he'll show u thru it I do believe.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 562897

Reply By: wendys - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:45

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 11:45
Endorse White Cliffs remarks, and it is an interesting place for a kid. What about a night or 2 at Mungo on the way to White Cliffs? If you include Birdsville, you have to think about the route/s you would use: you could finish up either having to backtrack the same route, or else adding a lot of km just for the sake of it. Might be better to leave birdsville for another trip and focus on the areas mentioned in replies, as well as Innamincka/Coongie.
AnswerID: 295941

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 22:48

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 22:48
Thanks wendys

Mungo's now definitely on the list. Youre right about Birdsville - it was on the list pretty much just for the sake of it (no offence to anyone!!).

Adrian
FollowupID: 562322

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 13:44

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 13:44
I would agree with the White Cliffs suggestion.

If you go to Coober Pedy you will probably drive the balck top from Pt Augusta and that, compared to the country between White Cliffs and say Cameron Corner, is a pretty boring run.

The shorter trip will also alow more time for looking around. There is plenty to see in NW NSW and SW Queensland.

Duncs
AnswerID: 295951

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 17:05

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 17:05
What about heading up through Mungo to Menindee Lakes. Should be a heap of water in there about that time. Good Burke and Wills camp site there on the Darling. Then up to Wilcannia and Whitecliffs. I'd head across to Tibooburra (there's a good camping area at Dead Horse Gully just near town) and then to Cameron's Corner. Have a feed at the Family hotel there. Alternately there is a camp area at Fort Grey just short of Cameron's Corner.

After that I'd head along the short few km towards the Strez to Bollards Lagoon Station and then head north up the bore track to Innamincka. The run thru Cordillo to Birdsville is quite achievable in the two week time frame. You equally have plenty of options for the trip home from either B'ville or Innamincka by heading east and then down thru NSW to Echuca.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 295972

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 22:53

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 22:53
Thanks Mick

Great info.

Adrian
FollowupID: 562325

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 20:00

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 20:00
goodday adrian
white cliffs is a lovely place and you also have mootwindgie n/p if you havent been before and also silverton just vout of broken hill

steve
AnswerID: 296005

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 22:57

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 22:57
Thanks Steve

From not even considering stopping in NSW it now looks like this is where we'll spend at least half our time! All good.

Adrian
FollowupID: 562326

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 20:47

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 20:47
Coober Pedy almostt includes the Painted Desert across to Oodnadatta too then Adrian as another centre to spend a day or so. It depends a bit on how much time you want photographing landscapes and the like. Facinating though pondering the old sea bed and the mica reflections beside the road between the PD and Oodnadatta.
AnswerID: 296018

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 22:59

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 22:59
Thanks John,

From the other replies I've decided to skip Coober Pedy this trip. Another trip up the Oodnadatta track and surrounds will be a must in a couple of years.

All the best

Adrian
FollowupID: 562328

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 07:55

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 07:55
Hi
Jock is the local who comes arround and asks if you would like a tour of his mine/home/area...quite a personality :) He even has a bottle of the Burragarang Bock in his collection (home made beer made only at a Picton pub NSW)
I realise there will be so many places to visit....If you like bush camping with only a toilet and tables supplied, and plenty of walks to see Aboriginal rock art, Mootwingie NP is on your way.
Mentioned earlier is the Bourke and Wills depot camp at the lakes....this is a nice place to stay, simply because you will be tracing their steps somewhat to Innamincka, and the lakes was their starting depot camp, with a blazed tree called the Wills tree.
Fort Gray is another lovely place to camp, as it has pure water to replenish supplies, and a lovely short walk to some ruins.
Have a gr8 time exploring :)
Andrew
AnswerID: 296296

Sponsored Links