Comradery with 4x4 Drivers,

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 21:34
ThreadID: 56165 Views:2195 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I have noticed over a period of time, that whilst driving,in different
locations, that 4x4 drivers seem to show a common courtesy to each
other, it might be when traffic is merging, or giving way to one an other,it seems more so than the average motorist in sedans ect,
its like the truckies, showing courtesy to each other, or if a 4x4 is
broken down, they seem to go out of there way to assist,
I dont think its my imagination, in this Dog eat Dog world we live in.
some of you might say ya dreaming mate, but who cares.

Cheers
Daza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 21:51

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 21:51
i think your spot on mate. as a patrol driver i go out of my way to be Courteous to all people on the road, due to the stigma 4x4s have.
it does not take much, and when these reports come on the media i like to think i do my bit to prove them wrong.
AnswerID: 296040

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 14:03

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 14:03
Same here Shane, most times the other driver does a double take if they are not a 4x4'r. Probably because they themselves are not courteous generally. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 562178

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:35

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:35
Daza,

Happened to us the other day (Sunday) - went for a day trip up Marathon Rd, down Billy Goats, into Talbotville and along the Bulltown Spur Track (Vic High Country).

Met up with a lifted 4x4 on a narrow section. He found a spot to get off the track and we passed with a "G'day" and a wave.

About 15 mintues later we stopped for the kids to have a run and a look and the same fourby arrives. A quick chat with them and a suggestion on which way they should go to save time and they're off.

As we left the tracks, at the intersection of the High Plains Road, I stopped to air up the tyres. Back open, bonnet up, and the same fourby passes us, stops and reverses. They check that we haven't broken down - I tell them we're just airing up and thanks very much - and they're off, heading back to their camp.

Common courtesy and Australian mateship is not dead in the 4by community down here either!

Tim - Stratford.
AnswerID: 296052

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:36

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 22:36
Sometimes, maybe, but over the last 3 years I have continually come across 3 4X4's in particular who are absolute boof heads.

One white GQ patrol, one lifted bronze new model GU patrol and one lifted 80 series around the Cannington area.

Tailgating, not letting people merge, generally showing a poor attitude to all and sundry and they p$ss me off.

I realise that there are Kings Jokers Princes and Thieves in every group but all the bad press 4X4's get isn't helped by these blokes.

It shouldn't matter what you drive - give way, be courteous, let people change lanes and give people room to move.

Do unto others, someone once said!
AnswerID: 296053

Reply By: Oldman - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 23:05

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 23:05
Howdy,
In the Paj Forum I visit there is a thread giving a wave to other Paj drivers.

Why limit it there.

Why not give the wave to all 4wd. It is a nice touch and when you have driven miles without seeing some one much appreciated.

It happens often with caravaner's and when out off the road a bit but rarely in cities etc.

Why not give it ago :)

Oldy
AnswerID: 296060

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 23:11

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 23:11
Sorry to correct you but it is one of my pet hates, it is "camaraderie"

I agree with you in one respect, that is in the bush or Outback, on the road though, I totally disagree, & it seems the higher the lift or bigger the wheels, the less respect for anybody or any thing.
AnswerID: 296064

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 23:57

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 23:57
Shaker, I dont know what your problem is with "camaraderie"

But I definitely agree that the bigger the wheels and the higher the lift the worse the attitude
FollowupID: 562106

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 07:54

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 07:54
Now , what's the difference between the anty 4x4 movement and you guys ? Well probably nothing,the way you thinking! I have a very high lifted vehicle that I drive every day , and a even bigger lifted play car. Should I class myself as a rat bag ? I think its rude, to put everyone in a lifted vehicle, in a category, as it is to put 4x4 owners in one group.
FollowupID: 562133

Follow Up By: Redback - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:42

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:42
Personally i think it doesn't matter what people drive, rude drivers don't care, period, 4WD or not.

Baz.

FollowupID: 562136

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:30

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:30
I don't have a problem with "camaraderie", I have a probelm with it being bastardised to comradery, even by journalists, that certainly should know better.

As far as taking offence to my comment about highly modded vehicles, 'if the cap fits .... wear it'!

Unfortunately I can't name the people with modded vehicles that are model citizens, but I stand by my previoius comment, that generally the more mods, the less respect!

Also re the comment that we are as bad as the Anti 4WD league, if it's modded & illegal .... GET IT OFF THE ROAD!
FollowupID: 562145

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:43

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:43
I think its sad for you to have this opinion of people . So tell me , when are you taking your vehicle off the road? I bet you anything you like ,mine is more legal than yours lol. Yes it in enginnered to be on the road with all its modifications. I will suprise you with whtas iligal on your vehicle but the local RWC bloke turns a blind eye.

No one has the right to point the finger and condem someone for what he drives or likes . There are idiots in all walks of life .
FollowupID: 562151

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:53

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:53
If it's legal, I have no issue.

After spending 19 years in the motor industry, nothing would surprise me.

As far as when do I take my vehicle off road, I live on the edge of the Victorian High Country, so what do you reckon?
FollowupID: 562152

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 11:04

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 11:04
My coment ment , off the road , as in not to be driven .
FollowupID: 562160

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 12:57

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 12:57
Well Shaker I have to agree with you on that.

It does seen the 4x4ers who have there vehicles with a 6+ inch suspension lift and other mods resembling one of the vehicles from the out back challenge seem to have little respect for others and the enviroment.

They wreck tracks and or they just make there own and tend to drive in places where they are not ment to be.

For some it is like a race to see who can get somewhere the quickest with the least amount of damage to there vehicles.

Over easter we were camping in the Little Desert National Park in a quiet area when all of a sudden two modded GQ Patrols came flying in kicking up dust and driving through .....not around our camp area with a fair bit of speed where we were sitting with the group........they were doing an trial.

The other more normal 4x4's who came in for the same reason did so at a sedate pace and drove around our camp site and showed respect.

Regards Richard

FollowupID: 562175

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 16:23

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 16:23
Hey Shaker

Comradery: Chumminess, Camaraderie, Camaraderieness,
Comradeship, OK JUST BEING BLOODY FRIENDLY.
I havent got any Pet Hates.

Cheers
Daza

FollowupID: 562206

Follow Up By: Rock Crawler - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 18:34

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 18:34
Were starting to show our age lol
FollowupID: 562259

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 23:12

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 at 23:12
Gday,
Yes your right!
But if everyone showed the same courtesy it wouldn't be just amongst 4x4's.
I reckon...don't judge a book by its cover. and do unto others!
I've stopped to help people who were buggered but said they weren't just because they didn't like the look of us! After sorting the problem they realised we weren't bad people and swapped addresses and become friends.

What goes around comes around.

Cheers
AnswerID: 296065

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:52

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 10:52
I've stopped to help a number of your locals out a bit further, and you can't judge a book by it's cover. Even if the cover was a bit dark :) I've met some delightful people and some proper B's, black white pink or yellow, a good bloke's a good bloke. And the others are still the others.
FollowupID: 562159

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 03:24

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 03:24
Ever driven around a farming community? Everyone gives the little finger wave (as opposed to the finger salute) off the steering wheel.

If they don't then it tells you one of 2 things: 1, they're from the city or 2, it is a difficult bit of road and they're concentrating too hard.

It does make you feel comfortable when you've spent a whole day in the fourby and the first other car you see gives a wave, you then know if you broke down then a friendly person will help out.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 296081

Follow Up By: Wayne David - Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 11:55

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 at 11:55
Hi there Barnesy - You are spot on about farming communities & the finger wave. Although around these parts it's the index finger off the steering wheel & a slight nod of the head. Others give a wave. Either way it's a lovely thing.

I was visited by the brother in law from Sydney over Easter & he commented on the number of drivers who wave to each other and how nice it was.

In rural Japan they even kind of bow while driving. Yikes!!!! Scarey stuff for first time passengers from Oz.
FollowupID: 562166

Sponsored Links