Broome North or Kununurra South?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 07:13
ThreadID: 56224 Views:2135 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
In late May or early June am wanting to take an elderley bloke who is passionate about photographing a particular finch found at Mornington Station and as flying in via a charter is soooooo expensive I am looking at getting a 4wd hire vehicle and either driving from Broome or Kununurra. Which would be the better way, from both a time point of view but also from the interest perspective?
Also would anyone out there know of bird friendly B&B's in the area betweenKununurra and Broome where we could add on a bit for his bird site seeing. We would be flying from Ballina into Darwin(via Brisbane) so even somewhere around Darwin would be great - It is such a long way to travel so be good to do a bit more to try and justify the expense. We have looked into going to the Cobourg area but his mobility would be too tested so sadly we have shelved that idea.

Many thanks for your help.

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 11:27

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 11:27
Mornington is about halfway between Broome and Kununarra. The quickest way in with more bitumen is probably from Broome, head towards Fitzroy Crossing then go up through Tunnel Creek and Windjana Gorge then east and down to Mornington. Could try Mt Hart Wilderness Lodge while in that area - not many B&Bs in that part of the world!
Plenty of Stunning scenery whichever direction you go.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 296341

Follow Up By: arbe - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 12:00

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 12:00
Hi Val,
Mave made a booking at Mornington Stn but will now also look at Mt Hart . Thanks for your reply

Cheers

Richard.
FollowupID: 562399

Follow Up By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 22:17

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 22:17
Try this site
http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au/sites/kununurra.htm
FollowupID: 562569

Follow Up By: arbe - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 06:10

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 06:10
Hi Oldsquizzy,
What a great site - just perfect for what we are looking for. The only problem is that we will have to spend far more time up there- not really a problem really as by all accounts that whole area is so interesting. Can't wait to visit your area with my wife in our Trayon when we can roam at our leasure - but that is for 2009.

Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Richard.
FollowupID: 562608

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 12:24

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 12:24
I presume that would be a Gouldian Finch. I think that Mornington Station is the spot but when we were in the Kimberley a few years ago a traveller was telling us this story about doing exactly the same thing and not finding any until he came back to one of the main centres (It may have been Kunnunurra) where he spotted a small group near a water dish.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 296357

Follow Up By: arbe - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 06:14

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 06:14
Hi Beatit,

Yup it is the Gouldian - eyes will be pealed as am sure they are hard to see.

Cheers,

Richard.
FollowupID: 562609

Reply By: wendys - Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 14:46

Thursday, Apr 03, 2008 at 14:46
If he is also interested in seasbirds/waders, consider a visit to the Broome Bird Observatory. Not sure whether there is catered accommodation out there, but it is not far from Broome. From Broome to Mornington is much more scenic than Kununurra to Mornington. However, near Kununurra there is also the Parry's Lagoon reserve, where there is usually a variety of birds to be seen on the wetlands. You could see the same range of birds, however, by taking him out to Kakadu, from Darwin - Mamukala bird observing area is recommended, also a sunrise or sunset cruise out of Cooinda.
AnswerID: 296386

Follow Up By: arbe - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 06:19

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 06:19
Hi Wendys,
Thanks for your info - Broome Bird Observatory is on the list - hope we have enough time up there.........

Cheers,

Richard.
FollowupID: 562610

Sponsored Links