Buyer Beware EPIRB service cessation

Submitted: Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 08:42
ThreadID: 56268 Views:4152 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Been looking at EPIRBS on ebay. I did some research on the subject and came accross this:

The International Cospas-Sarsat System will cease satellite processing of 121.5/243 MHz beacons from 1 February 2009. All beacon owners and users should begin taking steps to replace their 121.5/243 MHz beacons with 406 MHz beacons as soon as possible. A good time to consider purchasing a 406 MHz beacon is when the battery on your 121.5/243 MHz beacon needs replacing. Typically, batteries need replacing about every five years. The sooner you upgrade, the better the service that the Cospas-Sarsat System can provide you if your beacon is activated in a distress event.

Beginning in 2009, only 406 MHz beacons will be detected by the Cospas-Sarsat satellite system. This affects all maritime beacons (EPIRBs), all aviation beacons (ELTs) and all personal beacons (PLBs).

Why Switch?
Cospas-Sarsat made the decision to cease satellite processing at 121.5/243 MHz in response to guidance from the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the International Maritime Organization (IMO). These United Nations organizations mandate safety requirements for aircraft and maritime vessels and have recognised the limitations of the 121.5/243 MHz beacons and the superior capabilities of the 406 MHz alerting system.

The digital 406 MHz beacons offer many advantages over analog 121.5/243 MHz beacons. With a 406 MHz beacon, the position of the distress can be relayed to rescue services more quickly, more reliably and with greater accuracy.

Obviously, the older GPS's are not going to be much good for much longer.

Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Craig M (QLD) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:04

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:04
Must be too early in the morning...........
Scratch GPS's and replace with EPIRB's

AnswerID: 296569

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:12

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:12
Craig, the closure of the old system has been getting advertised for about 3 years and has come up on this forum many times.

The new range of PLB's ( that should be used for anyone on land) are much smaller and with the GPS option much more accurate.

There are two grades of PLB's, one that can be used world wide and one that only can be used in Australia.

PLB's are cheaper the EPIRBS as PLB's don't have automatic water activation nor the upside down activation.

PLB's are the size of a small camera case.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 296573

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:18

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:18
Don't throw your old EPIRB away - it's still better than no EPIRB - or if you can't afford the $500 for a 406 EPIRB.

If you are in area with regular overflights of commercial aircraft, it MAY even be localised faster than a non-GPS 406 EPIRB, as all QANTAS aircraft keep their second receiver on 121.5.

Even if no aircraft or satellite picks up your initial signal, when eventually planes start searching for you, they will be able to home in directly to the 121.5 (also sent by all 406 EPIRBs). This will be much faster and more reliable than an aircraft searching endlessly for you under tree cover, or when you are immobilised with two broken legs.
AnswerID: 296575

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:42

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:42
Mike R,
It's not as simple as homing in to a 121.5 beacon there is still a 20k radius which has to be systematically reduced even with the use of a direction finder it does take a while. The other issue is that when a QANTAS aircraft does pick up a 121.5 signal the pilot can only pinpoint that signal within a 20k radius of the aircraft's present position, if the epirb is directly under the aircraft I guess the radius is determined a little easier. But if that signal has come from say 30k west of it's position the 20k search pattern is harder to determine. All the pilot can give is an approximate area to search. The higher the plane the harder it is as far as I am aware.

The reason I say that is because I was involved in an aerial search over the Swains Reef off Mackay many years ago as a result of an plane activated alarm. The Rescue Coordination Centre in Canberra were going to activate 3 search patterns because of the guess work involved. There was a plane sent from Mackay and there were 2 aircraft and teams of spotters on standby at Rockhampton and Gladstone, I was with the Gladstone team.

From memory a satelite went over the area and picked up the beacon's distress signal so Canberra were able to provide a more accurate search area and diverted the plane that was already out there to that area. This new system is going to be much better and personally I think for $500+ one would get better piece of mind than waiting around injured hoping that an aircraft has picked up the signal from a 121.5.

FollowupID: 562650

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 14:58

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 14:58
“when a QANTAS aircraft does pick up a 121.5 signal the pilot can only pinpoint that signal within a 20k radius of the aircraft's present position, if the epirb is directly under the aircraft I guess the radius is determined a little easier. But if that signal has come from say 30k west of it's position the 20k search pattern is harder to determine. All the pilot can give is an approximate area to search. The higher the plane the harder it is as far as I am aware.”
- Overflying aircraft do not localise the EPIRB to a circle. EVERY pilot - from Glider to 747 needs to be familiar with the Emergency Procedures documented in the Enroute Supplement. This details how to carry out an Electronic Search and Final Homing using a standard aircraft VHF receiver. This localises the EPIRB to a line while flying a single straight line. If the commercial flight is not directed to divert, then a second flight should be able to localise it within a few kilometres.

“This new system is going to be much better and personally I think for $500+ one would get better piece of mind than waiting around injured hoping that an aircraft has picked up the signal from a 121.5.”
- read what I actually wrote - nowhere did I imply that the 121.5 EPIRB was as good as 406.
FollowupID: 562680

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 16:21

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 16:21
Every Qantas aircraft may monitor 121.5 now - but will they when the service is discontinued? I doubt it.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 562701

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 16:29

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 16:29
Wrong.

121.5 isn't just the EPIRB frequency, it's the aviation emergency frequency for voice calls, because EVERY aircraft with a radio can call on 121.5 and listen on 121.5.

NO aircraft have receivers on 406MHz now and no aircraft will have 406MHz receivers after 2009.

That's why EVERY 406MHz EPIRB must ALSO have a 121.5 transmitter.
FollowupID: 562703

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 19:27

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 19:27
Mike R,
I didn't take it that you implying a 121.5 was as good as a 406.
All I was saying was if you can't afford the $500 for a 406 think twice about that decision.
What I was challenging you on was a perception that "even if no aircraft or satelite picks up your initial signal when eventually planes start searching for you, they will be able to home in directly to your 121.5"
Sure they will eventually home in on you but I don't agree that it's that simple from my practical experience. First of all there has to be a search area established otherwise the pilot will be looking for a needle in a hay stack in terms of picking up the epirb's transmission. The searches I have participated in the pilot searches the grid pattern provided by the RCC in Canberra. Once the signal is picked up from my obversations the pilot establishes the strongest signal within the direction finders arc and this can involve a bit of mucking around particularly while the signal strength is similar across the arc. For instance the pilot might veer off left but start loosing the signal then there has to be a direction change. Once the pilot gets closer and gets better signal strength then it starts getting easier.
What I was alluding to is that don't expect someone to be at your location within a few hours it is not as simple activating your 121.5 satelite or plane picks up the distress signal your position is immediately established search is immediately commenced helicopter/search party finds you in an hour does NOT happen with a 121.5.
FollowupID: 562734

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 20:01

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 20:01
"What I was alluding to is that don't expect someone to be at your location within a few hours it is not as simple activating your 121.5 satelite or plane picks up the distress signal your position is immediately established search is immediately commenced helicopter/search party finds you in an hour does NOT happen with a 121.5. "

- and it won't happen with a 406 EPIRB either - unless you get the one with GPS built in.
FollowupID: 562740

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:03

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 09:03
Yep that's right but the search area is somewhat less so in theory it should be quicker than a 121.5. Anyway, the very reason I'm getting the 406 + GPS don't want to wait around while the RCC gets their act together working out search area etc; they can just tell the chopper to go find me at x.
Enjoy your weekend.
Roscoe
FollowupID: 562827

Reply By: jeepthing - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:55

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:55
Craig,
Cospas-Sarsat decided back in 2000 to cease processing 121.5MHz analogue signals by satelite on 01.02.2009. The 121.5 beacon analogue signal has an accuracy to 20k. These new 406 digital beacons have a global accuracy to within 5k. However if you get the one that has GPS included this goes down to 45m. However this one is around $160 dearer.
The good thing about these new beacons is that they are registered in your name and when activated will identify you, if you're a boat owner the description of your boat is also identified.
I guess the downside to them is that they are considerably dearer than the 121.5. But having performed a fair bit of spotting work in planes when I was an active member of a marine rescue organisation searching for people within a 400k grid area is hard work, 25k is better but 45m would be a breeze, so I've decided to go with the beacon that has gps.
Roscoe
AnswerID: 296584

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:23

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:23
Roscoe,

I don't believe the dearer cost is really a "downside".

It gets down to how much one values their own life and those of the family members traveling with them. I found it easy to justify the cost. It's the single most important safety device for remote areas.

As for hoping a commercial plane may pick up the old analogue signal after February 2009 when the US monitoring satellite is "switched off", IMO that's almost as bad as not having one at all.

When in a life or death situation, I want something that is reliable, accurate and will definitely work.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 562645

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:31

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:31
according to a letter read out the other night at club, they are decommissioning 2 satellies earlier than planned originally..

but something to be aware of.
FollowupID: 562648

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 15:11

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 15:11
Sand Man
I'm glad you don't think the cost is a downside and I agree with your view that's why I'm going for a beacon with GPS. If I have 2 broken legs or have some other serious injury I don't want to be lying in agony for hours waiting for planes/helicopters land search parties to do a grid search to find me...I want them to come straight to me.

Notwithstanding, I guess some people will find the cost a governing factor and not get one, which I think is a big mistake.

I have been involved in marine rescue for many years and have located people who have been floating around in the water for many hours and taken people off vessels that has been wrecked on a reef with crew still aboard, some injured battling the conditions whipped up by heavy weather. I've experienced the distress these people has suffered and I've seen the relief exhibited when rescued. I agree with you I want a device that is reliable and will get rescuers to me in the least possible time.

I guess what I was also getting at when I said downside is that it is a shame there is not a government subsidy to defray the cost. When considering the huge cost involved in carry out lengthy searches the more people who have them will make work a lot easier for the rescuers and save the community a huge cost in the long run.
FollowupID: 562682

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 16:03

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 16:03
I believe there is no GST on EPIRBs.

When Gowings were still operating in Sydney (before they sold out to commercial managers, shortly before they went bust) they sold them at cost price !

But I agree, the government should really do more to make them more affordable - it would actually be repaid in reduced government search costs and reduced medical costs.
FollowupID: 562692

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:27

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:27
Supply and demand issues seem to be the major issue in the next year or so.....with an estimated 150,000 121.5Mhz units requiring replacing. Apparently these figures aren't including the major purchasing by various Government Departments eg Defence, etc due to OHS implications.

Kinetic Technology International (KTI), another Australian company, should be bringing out a PLB in the next couple of months to add further competition and bring prices down.

Andrew
AnswerID: 296600

Follow Up By: Angler - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 19:22

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 19:22
Andrew,

Could you tell me the major difference between PLB and EPIRB

I use the old one maybe three times a year and I for one will find the expense will limit my future fishing excursions.
I am always in sight of land when I venture out in open sea, not that this limits or improves my chance of survival.

Poole
FollowupID: 562733

Follow Up By: Angler - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 19:37

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 19:37
Andrew,

I had a look at the differences and find that the PLB's main difference is they may not float and they only last 24 hours not 48.
GPSOZ has a 410 for $399.00 delivered.
Battery lasts five years, thats $80.00 a year so not too bad really.

Just check via google
FollowupID: 562738

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 12:21

Friday, Apr 04, 2008 at 12:21
The new gps satellites also now carry epirb receivers which are replacing the epirb receivers in the old dedicated satellites.

A 406 MHz beacon emergency signal is picked up by a satellite immediately it is switched on. However, it can take some considerable time to actually 'fix' a position (up to several hours in a worst case situation) as it take two passes by a low level satellite to triangulate the position of the beacon. A beacon with a combined gps instantly passes on it's position to the rescue authority.
AnswerID: 296609

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 14:23

Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 14:23
Many of the questions have some fuller answers in this article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPIRB

Under the heading "Advantages and disadvantages of the various beacons" there are some very good reasons why the 121.5 MHz beacons are being phased out.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 296790

Reply By: Member - Craig M (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 22:52

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 22:52
Thank you to all who contributed to my original post. I can now wax lyrical upon the subject of EPIRB's.

I will take the position of letting the new technology develop some before outlaying the hard earned. I can surely see the value but as with everything techno, I am sure that there will be a price reduction as soon as all the mainstream manufacturers start fighting over the price points. Yes, I was one of the first people to buy the Pioneer cd player for $1499 back in the 80's. Now I get one free every time I go to Singapore.

Until then, back to the trusty HF

Regards,

Craig
AnswerID: 297481

Sponsored Links