Been to Darwin

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 19:00
ThreadID: 5631 Views:1791 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Well - haven't been on for a while - just back from NT - first time past Alice - wow! what a fantastic place - Kakadu - great - and for all the idiots going around saying "Kakadon't" - let people judge for themselves - ok Litchfield might be a bit more accessible - but Kakadu is still a wildnerness area in lots of places - pretty good in my opinion - Ubirr would be the most beautiful place late afternoon and into sunset (even allowing for spraining a ligament on the ascent - husband, by the way said "are you okay - I'll just keep going, see you up there!") though I will admit he got the most fanatastic photos - 3 of which we have had made into a panaorama and in the process of getting framed. Yellow Water - lovely - Noarlangie rock - terrific - worth the walk to the lookout - nearby billabong and flat rock great scenery -Darwin - great city - stayed at Palms resort - great park - crocodile tour on the Pathfinder at Adelaide River - crocs just feet away - very scary and awesome! Darwin museum is terrific - and free! sunset market at Mindl beach - spectacular - food yumm! Katherine Gorge - pretty good - flying foxes by the hundreds! Heaps more - too much to mention - car (Nissan Terrano 2.7 turbo diesel) towing Dingo Off Road camper - fantastic - fuel consumption approx 10l/100k - not too shabby at all. Can't wait to be off again - where next???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOB member vic - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 20:29

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 20:29
hi jules we will think of you in 6 weeks as we head for darwin then .was up there in 95 and looking forward to this trip because i wont be working where did you stay in katherine.we are stayiny at the palms aswell although i must start booking the sites or we will be sleeping on the beach sounds like you had a great time but as they say all great things come to an end
steve89 nissan looking foward to august and more travelling
AnswerID: 23396

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 21:56

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 21:56
Hi Jules, sounds like you’ve been bitten by the Top End Bug! It sure is a great place.
We too get annoyed at people calling Kakadu – Kakadon’t – a couple of people that were telling us this had never even been to Kakadu! I’m sure if you just drove in on the black top, out to Jabaru and back out again you would not think much of the place. But spend a week or two there and explore the place and WOW!
Cheers
Alex

AnswerID: 23408

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:26

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:26
Jules, I agree with you about Ubirr rock. Looking out over the flood plain from the rock I felt as if I had gone back to the era of the dinosaurs (OK, I am one). Its one of those images you never forget. I hope you can post your panorama somewhere so we can all have a look. I remember the mozzies were pretty fierce, and was grateful for the fly screen on the swag.
AnswerID: 23437

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:22

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:22
Jules,

Top post! We had the pleasure of living in Darwin for a year in the late 90's and had a fantastic time. So much to see, so much to do and a real camper/4WDriver paradise. It annoys me when I hear people say give Kakadu a miss, go for Litchfield. Honestly you can't really compare the two. We loved both places but visited Litchfield more often because it is easily accessible as a day trip from Darwin. It is much smaller than Kakadu with spectacular waterfalls etc because it basically encompasses sandstone escarpments. BTW, did you do the 4WD southern access route along the Reynolds River to the Daly River Road? Excellent drive!

Kakadu on the other hand consists of the Alligator and Mary River floodplains and is bordered by the Arnhem escarpment. It is much bigger than Litchfield so as you say, you really need a week or more to see it. We had the pleasure of visiting Kakadu through all seasons, with something different to see each time. One word for Yellow Waters - WOW!!! When we first visited on hols years ago, everyone said do the morning cruise for more active wildlife etc. Now we've had the pleasure of doing it at all times of day and throughout the dry and wet seasons. The reflections across the water of the huge thunderheads seen on the evening cruise during the wet season have to be seen to be believed. WOW!!!

Can't wait to go back.

:o) Melissa Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 23460

Follow Up By: jules - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 11:21

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 11:21
Sorry all to be so long getting back to this post - usual atime of the year at work - feel like I haven't been away - anyway thanks for your responses - and yes I have been bitten by the NT bug - or more correctly the travel bug - would love to just go - but need the means - not long now tho - couple of years maybe we can just go - in answer to to the question re Katherine - we stayed one night on the way up at the Red Gum which is close to town and very neat and tidy - but we stayed at Katherine Gorge campground for a couple of days on the way back - very nice campground plenty of room, good facilities quite reasonably priced as well - we chose to have power but there are non powered sites everywhere. have got our panorama back from framers - don't think we can post it on site - it is 33 inches long x 8 inches - huge looks terrific - great memory! we tend to leave some spots that we don't go to so we have a real good reason for going back - i.e. Litchfield etc -
keep moving - jules
FollowupID: 15881

Sponsored Links