Old Andado Track- Mt Dare to Alice Springs

Gday All

We are doing another desert crossing this year and after that we thought we might go from Dalhousie springs via Mt dare (refuel), up the Old Andado and into Alice springs. I am trying to work out If we could do this in a day or would we be best putting a night in at the station to break it in two. It is hard to know what speeds we will be able to travel, any Information on the track and road conditions would be greatly appreciated.

Also what are the current prices for Unleaded at Mt Dare at the moment?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jock M (SA) - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 12:49

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 12:49
Hi
We did exactly what you intend doing in Early Feb this year. We left Mt Dare at about 8:30 & arrived Alice 4:00 .We stopped at Old Andado for about 2 Hrs. I did not think the road was that bad, however the managers wife at Andado thought it was a shocker. In a couple of places I agree. I drove to the conditions & had no problems, top speed was about 80 kph

Regards Jock
AnswerID: 297159

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 13:14

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 13:14
G'day ingo,

keep an eye on this and maybe contact them as you get closer.

the Mt Dare to Old Andado track is a beaut drive through tightish tracks then out into the swales and red dirt. Would be a shame to rush it all in one day. If poss, make it an overnighter I reckon. You may want to do this anyway as a contingency after coming out of the desert if anything needs attention.
AnswerID: 297163

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 13:23

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 13:23
Ingo57
What is the hurry. It might not look far on a map, but you will be pushing it hard to do it in 1 day. Don't risk the damage to you and your vehicle, take a minimum of 2 days. There is some unreal scenery on the way, as well as a good look at Old Andado. Just after you cross the SA/NT Border, you think that you will be in another world, with the vegitation and tree cover right over the track. It is a good track and well worth the drive, but not in 1 day.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 297166

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 13:44

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 13:44
Last Sep. I came across lots of camels between Old Andado and St Terasa. We had bush camped about an hour out of Old Andado and found the camels on the red dunes in the morning light made for some great photos. I like to call that type of road a 'sucker' road. You slowly let the speed creep up and all of a sudden you come across a spot where you are going to fast and a voice somewhere says 'got you sucker' !

AnswerID: 297169

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 14:50

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 14:50
What a load of bulldust :-))))
FollowupID: 563184

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 20:32

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 20:32
I was referring to all the bulldust holes that catch you out on the Old Andado Track - it comes over the bonnet pretty easily!
FollowupID: 563274

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 07:49

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 07:49
Hi Phil,

Yeah, yeah - Ozzie humor I know :-))

Actually when I was up there the bull dust wasn't too bad (except one spot near a big gate), it was the old wheel tracks that had been made in soft mud, dried out and then been disguised by a coating of dust over the top. They can be a big reality check.
FollowupID: 563332

Reply By: ingo57 - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 21:01

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 21:01
Thanks everyone for your imput. Guess we will be taliking the two days.

Cheers
AnswerID: 297275

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 22:16

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 22:16
Mac Clarke con res. is worth looking at , its a stand of waddi trees. They only grow in 3 or 4 places in the world . The reserve turn off is 38k north of old andando . You can also camp at Old Andando and look at Molly Clarkes house there or just bush camp . As said 2day trip better
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 563305

Reply By: Greg - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:00

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:00
Have just got back from Mt Dare via the Old Andado track on the 12th April, returned to Alice.
An absolutely top trip with the scenery ever changing. Highly recommended it to anyone.
We thought we might do it one day but then reminded ourselves we where in holiday mode!Do it two.
At present a couple of areas to watch out for is around the Mayfield bore area where there is some bull dust patches but fairly easy to negotiate and also from the Mac Clark Reserve turn off all the way back to Santa Teresa.There are trucks servicing I think an oil exploration area near Mac Clark. These heavy vehicles have chopped the track up in various places making it heavy going through some dunes and has caused some lengthy bull dust areas. The moral to this track,as with all other tracks, is drive according to the conditions and enjoy.
We left Mt Dare at about 9.30am, drove to Old Andado and had lunch there. The caretakers Liz and John with Liz's mum a pom, an absolutely lovely couple, showed us around the homestead and told us a bit about the history of the place.
Cruised on after lunch, stopped and took some photos. It was at about 4.00pm when we both decided that there was no rush to be at home tonight so we found a track went down it for about a k, turned off that and went bush for about a 100m and that is we stayed for the night. Bloody perfect. Returned to Alice the next day.
Top trip.
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 298646

Follow Up By: ingo57 - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:31

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:31
Top stuff.....Thanks for the info mate, glad you had a good trip

Cheers
FollowupID: 564762

Sponsored Links