Adjustable Legs

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 14:11
ThreadID: 56589 Views:2152 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I'm looking at designing my own camper trailer kitchen, it'll probably be a pull out one and I was looking at idea's on what to use for legs, I'd want them to be adjustable for uneven ground. Any idea's would be great :)

Thanks
Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 14:37

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 14:37
Have a look at the pics in my rig page. You can just make out the legs. Basically i have telescoped 3 different diameters of square tube steel with the thickest one bolted to the kitchen.

A supporting bracket is welded between the bottom legs. Legs are secured when the kitchen is out by welding a nut to the larger tube steel and screwing a bolt through it.

It was easy to make, very strong, the only thing is the supporting bracket between the bottom legs has to exactly square.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 298268

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 15:12

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 15:12
Pretty neat Barnesy and your rig pic is a purler mate
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 564385

Reply By: mfewster - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:08

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:08
Neil, I have seen a couple done using extendable tent poles (cut down of course). Secured to the side of the unit using hose clamp brackets (bolted down tightly). The inner tube leg just get dropped to the height you want and secured with the screw lock on the tent pole.
AnswerID: 298314

Reply By: Louie the fly - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 08:57

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 08:57
When you make the legs out of RHS use the heavier wall section as your outside part if possible. And weld the nut for the lock screw on the corner, not the face (like the pic below). This provides for a more stable lock as it pushes the inner part into the corner.

Image Could Not Be Found

If you want a self levvelling foot for the base contact someone that sels standard machine parts. UES, D&D BArry in Sydney, Dotmar EPP, etc.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 298408

Reply By: kcandco - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 19:40

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 19:40
Hi Neil
I have been through the same exercise. I started of with a 2 legged attachment that folded down to support the leg. It worked fine on flat ground but with a slope it was a pain having to chock up one side or the other to get things level.... so I ended up buying a metal fitting from a local shop which was basically a tube within a tube that when pulled out had a small pushbutton pin pop out into a hole in the outer piping. There is a hole about every 2 cm in the outer pipe so the range of extension of the leg is from 2cm to about 50cm. The fitting is strong and because the kitchen is supported at the other end by the trailer, it is very stable. The outer pipe is attached to the middle at the end of the kitchen by some fitting I made up. Because it is only on one leg it doesn't matter what the slope is as along as the camper is reasonably level.

regards Kc
AnswerID: 298513

Sponsored Links