Crocs in river crossings

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:19
ThreadID: 56628 Views:4205 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
HI, I have been researching this trip and have found that people seem to be always swimming in the various crossings etc. Is this advisable, I will have an 8 year old and a 2 year old with me. Also what about Billys (somethingorother.....landing I think) I have seen footage of this on various DVD's and it looks like agreat place to spend a few days but not sure about being there with the kids if they cant swim in the water due to crocs.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:23

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:23
Many of the crossing early on the OTL (southern) flow to the west and are a long way from the sea, and elevated. Some of these are OK to swim in, and wade crossings. The Jardine and near the Jardine is not. I wouldn't swim in the ocean.
AnswerID: 298460

Reply By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:29

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:29
Be Croc wise and treat the issue with balanced knowledge

Croc Wise

It's like sharks and snakes, if you understand them, you can defend yourself, with confidence, from them.

Look at the link and use the info wisely.

Captain Billy Landing is IMHO one of the Capes best spots, I have not seen a crock there before, as I have also not seen a shark there before.
Get Ron Moons guide to the cape, good reading.
Enjoy your trip
Colin.
AnswerID: 298464

Reply By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 18:52

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 18:52
I refuse to swim in croc country you can never be too careful.

They pulled a 6 metre monster out of Twin Falls in Kakadu in 2006 and how far is that from the ocean/salt water. There was a recent attack in Litchfield in the freshwater where they'd never seen a croc before.

From what I understand big male crocs are loners and will not inhabit an area where there is another male so they move and with floods they seem to be moving further up into fresh water and this is what happened in Twin Falls and Litchfield.

These creatures are lightng fast out of the water and the people who have survived have been very lucky.

Better to be safe than sorry I reckon.
AnswerID: 298491

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:06

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:06
That is the biggest load of Rubbish I have read on this forum.

They have never pulled a 6 metre croc out of twin falls ever.

There is not a 6 metre croc in Kakadu, In fact in the 35 years I have lived in the area I have seen 1 croc that came close.

Where did you get that rubish from, as it is not even close to the truth, the story about the woman at Lichfield is short on the truth as well.

Please tell me where you herd that info, and when I have calmed down I will respond to that info.

My main source of income is tours to Twin Falls Daily when open, and I take offence to people righting this sort of rubbish on a public forum, as it is detrimental to my business.

If it seem like I am annoyed you would be correct, the reason being is that if you post on a public forum you should post factual info.

Cheers Steve.

FollowupID: 564632

Follow Up By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 03:12

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 03:12
Steve,
There was an 18 footer in Yellow Waters about 20 years ago, don't know if it is still there or not, never been back. Got a photo of it stored away with all my other belongings in Perth. My other half saw it too, along with all the other passengers on the trip out of Cooinda.
Seem to remember a 'freshy' gave some tourist on a li-lo a scare a few years back in Jim Jim or Twin Falls.
Not having a 'go' at you.
FollowupID: 564695

Follow Up By: Fnqt2 - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:57

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:57
could this be the said croc in 06? Saltie removed from Twin Falls Gorge
FollowupID: 564708

Follow Up By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:44

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:44
I got the information from a Ranger who was giving an information session on crocs at Merl Camp. As you probably know they run these sorts of sessions a few nights a week at Merl during the tourist season. The Ranger was talking about how they don't open any area such as Twin Falls until they are cleared of crocs and mentioned they had pulled this huge 6m one out of the plunge pool there and it was the biggest they had ever seen that far up in Kakadu.

From what I recall the ranger saying, this particular croc died during the capture process due to adrenaline shock? We were in Merl camp during late June, early July 2006. I've spoken to my wife about her recollection as to what the ranger said and she confirmed what I have said. She also said that there was an article and photo in the Darwin newspaper but I haven't been able to find the article.

The story about the women at Litchfield is as reported in the newspapers and internet. So if they have it wrong take it up with them.

The fact of the matter is that each year they pull crocs out of Twin Falls and do not open it up until the rangers are satisfied there are none left, it's public knowledge mate.

I take it that you would not be allowed in there until this happens? So I fail to see why you are getting so upset by the time you get in there it should be croc free shouldn't it?

Maybe you need to take a boat cruise at Yellow Waters and also the one that runs at the East Alligator River just up from the crossing near the border store. I've seen crocs there that are over the 5m mark.

If you wish to continue this discussion we'll do it offline you have my email address

FollowupID: 564735

Follow Up By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:54

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:54
"These creatures are lightng fast out of the water and the people who have survived have been very lucky." - LOL -
Have you ever seen the length of a crocodile's legs??? Have you considered how heavy they are??? Have you ever seen one actually running??? This is a rural version of an urban myth!!! Sure crocodiles strike quickly when they attack prey from within the water, but that speed is generated by their powerful tail. On land they are cumbersome and whilst they must still be treated with respect should not be a threat.

tessa

FollowupID: 564754

Follow Up By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 14:04

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 14:04
Tessa,
I was not referring to a croc chasing someone on land.

Most attacks generally occur on the banks of a river etc. I said they are lightening fast out of the water meaning a strike with the water as their base. Nothing to do with running on land OK.

I have actually seen one strike from the waters edge and it was pretty awesome. It occurred on a tour I did out of Timber Creek down the Victoria River. If you are ever over that way it's a tour worth doing leaves late in the afternoon and it takes you some 30k down the river, brings you back just after dark. Anyway late in the afternoon there are numerous wallabys along the bank coming down for a drink. We saw one of them taken at around 2m from the waters edge by a reasonably large croc it all happened pretty quickly.

I haven't fished in croc country from the waters edge since.

If you are up Rockhampton way go and visit the Korana Croc Farm they do a couple of demos as to how fast they come out of the water, and how quick they can be on land, you will get a surprise. Summertime is a good time as the females are nesting on land.
FollowupID: 564781

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 18:25

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 18:25
Hey Roscoe.

Firstly let me apologize on this forum for making it personal, in hind site I should have guessed that your info came from another source.

I have spoken to the operations manager of the Jim Jim district about this miss information and told him where the source came from, unfortunately during the dry season parks employ seasonal rangers to do talks etc, and these people are mainly uni students getting browny points for there course, so some time their info is not the best.

There is a good chance I can go out and help catch some crocs this year and help get the place open for the season.

I will post a thread soon about the way parks do their croc surveys and the proses of opening areas to the public, so people like your self can come to these areas and have a swim in those awesome waterfalls in the Top End, with out fear.

Hope there is non hard feelings.

Cheers Steve.

FollowupID: 565061

Follow Up By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:06

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:06
Steve,
Your apology is accepted and I can assure you there are no hard feelings.

Roscoe
FollowupID: 565166

Follow Up By: Redback - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:10

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:10
Tessa, don't be fooled into thinking crocs aren't fast on land, because they are very fast, and lighting quick off the mark too.

11KPH he can get up to in a very short time, thankfuly it is only in short bursts.

Baz.
FollowupID: 565174

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:14

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:14
If you are camping in a spot for a few days then talk a walk along the mebankment and look for slide marks in the sand OR wait until dark and then shine your torch over the surface of the water. If you count lots of little reflections two by two then you know whats in the water.

Normally crystal clear running waters are safe for swimming but there is always an exception to the rule.

There are a lot more crocs about these days since hunting them was stopped in the mid 1970's

Cheers
AnswerID: 298522

Reply By: pete - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:56

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:56
You're right Steve - should stick to the truth - a 2.6m saltie was pulled out of Jim Jim in August 2006 along with another 10 crocs. And I guess a 6 meter croc in the East Alligator is outside Kakadu NP..........
AnswerID: 298537

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:07

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:07
What 6 metre croc in the East Alligator are you referring to??

There are several small crocs pulled out of Jim Jim creek and Twin Falls creek every year.

They have never pulled a croc out of Jim Jim falls plunge pools.

The public are not allowed into the area until all the crocs are removed, then traps are put in place.

Cheers Steve.

FollowupID: 564662

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 23:12

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 23:12
On our travels, as soon as I'm North of Capricorn, I'm on 'Croc Alert.I even become wary of puddles!! I think they're wonderful creatures, but I'm not in any hurry to meet them. We fished from a boat for 6 weeks last Winter, in a Nth. Qld. creek without seeing one croc. I had the funny feeling though that more than one croc. had seen me.
AnswerID: 298578

Reply By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:53

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:53
CAPt Billy's landing on Cape York is a nice spot but be warned it is open and exposed and little shelter if the winds pick up there is a enviro friendly toilet and a sheltered picnic table and an cleared area about 1/2 the size of a footy field, there is no beach driving allowed (and the landing the beach is barracaded to vehicles) but it is a nice place to fosick etc.. not sure that I could spend more than a day there as there isn't mch else there..

regarding crocs, sharks etc they are in the waters everywhere up there.as far as taking tape measures out and measuring them.. if you have time to do that before they eat you.. you probably don;t have to worry becuase they are too small to eat you.. if you don't have time to measure them, then it's big enough to eat you.. As has been said before, there are some places you can swim becasue they are high, above series of waterdllas etc and every day there will be significant numbers of peole swimming there.. the lower levels are defenitly risky. I have swum in the Jardien plenty of tiems but I know I am riskingit and key an eye out and don;t go deep and stay where I can see into the water for a long way around me..
AnswerID: 298603

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:39

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:39
You'll never see the one that gets you. I lived in Papua New Guinea and would frequently see Nationals swimming in areas that would be, from time to time, inhabited by crocs, and from time to time Nationals were taken by crocs.

Exercise extreme caution even if it seems safe.......
AnswerID: 298652

Reply By: tukka - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:31

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:31
I have heard some pretty wild theories and opinions in my life on the subject of crocodiles and i must say everyone is different and have experienced different things but they are wild animals and they dont have laws. I have grown up around crocodiles my whole life, living in the far north Kimberley in CROC country. I have seen these animals a long way inland at famous swimming spots and fishing spots and i too have swum at places were large crocs were later seen. I used to catch them at night with a spotlight so i know some of the places they can get too. Everyone seems to be just worried about the fact of swimming were they are but i have had a croc walk 100 metres from the water and into our camp to steal bread from the camp table. They are silent assasins both in water and on land, they will wait hours in one position for a an attack. You really have to treat them with respect and caution cause they wont hesitate in attacking. Our golden rule is only swim in water that is rather shallow and fast flowing. Being clear is always a positive. I have had many close calls with these animals both fresh and saltwater and let me tell you they are not slow on land, especially if its on mud or soft sand or slippery rocks. They will outrun any average beer gutted bloke over about a fifteen metre area. And dont always think that the bigger the meaner, crocs around 7-12 foot are the ones we call cheeky. Very curious and not frightened they come right up to the boat when fishing, always on the surface of the water or on the bank sunning themselves and always the ones that get your fish before you can reel it in. And they are also the quicker, fitter and quiter crocs. And dogs and small children attract crocs like you wouldnt believe. So remember always keep your eyes on the kids and dont leave food or scraps lying around anywhere.
AnswerID: 298727

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 19:04

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 19:04
Good advice - thanks.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 565071

Follow Up By: Member - David.M.C - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 19:27

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 19:27
I'll second that Mike. Great stuff Tukka. Appreciated mate.
FollowupID: 565074

Follow Up By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:26

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:26
Tukka,
I think it's fair to say copped a little flack from my previous post.

I don't think people realise how dangerous, cunning and fast these creatures are. The people who get taken don't follow the rules and I think there may be a lack of education or understanding about them. I to have lived and fished in croc country to and what you have said is 100% correct and I'm glad you submitted your post.

I was fishing in Hinchinbrook a few years ago and observed a large croc stalking my mate who was fly fishing out of his boat it was getting very close to strike range, lucky I had seen it otherwise I would hate to think what could have happened.

I remember seeing John Lever the owner of Korana Croc Farm near Rockhampton have to scale the fence during one of his feeding sessions in one of the big croc pens because the a 5m plus croc came blasting up out of the water too quick, John didn't go back in there he left the croc to the bucket of feed!!

There was an instance recently where a women in Cairns, I think it was, was swimming in the swimming enclosure and what she had thought was a log turned out to be a very large croc, she was very lucky.

People really do have to be very cautious, clearly the numbers of crocs are increasing and out of necessity they are venturing into areas where they have not been previously seen.
FollowupID: 565169

Follow Up By: tukka - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 13:47

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 13:47
Roscoe totally agree with ya mate nothing you have said should of been taken the wrong way. As an ex croc catcher mate i know that sometimes it is too much of a risk for authorities to tell of a recent crocodile removal or sighting in popular swimming areas. It is only ever the media that wants to let the public know, believe me been there seen that. But as for Stevowner of Top End Tours well he would most certainly know as to what the situation is thats if he has been given correct information. Cause remember if a croc is in there and you capture it and take it out then what is stopping another from making its way in ther during the season, im not having a go at anyone or referring to anywhere in particular its just good to know all the different variables and scenarios when dealing with these creatures. Believe me i really enjoy seeing people travel the top end and experiencing the natural beauty of it all, i wouldnt want to turn them away or frighten them from coming. There is many great great swimming spots around the top end believe me, there is no way we could survive up here without a regular dip. Cable Beach is a very famous swimming and recreational spot yet from time to time there is a croc swimming past (2-3 per season roughly sighted) and taking refuge not too far away in Roebuck Bay. Its just a matter of ask a local or if you really wanna enjoy it book yourself a local tour and really get to experience whats out there. Then you can always go back on your own and you know what to do and what not to do.
FollowupID: 565180

Sponsored Links