Precipise Park, Taroom-Cracow. Rating please

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 08:36
ThreadID: 56652 Views:4716 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Interested in a visit (seeing we live in the Cracow suburbs, Emerald, and camp at Precipise Park on the mighty Dawson River between Taroom and Cracow. We always just hurtle past those areas, about time we explored / enjoyed them. One of you Exploroz members been there and like to give us a clue if it would be worth a weekend there. Road is 4x4 only so that is a real plus, Firewood? Ok for offroad camper Aussie Swag? TIA. RockyOne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 08:49

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 08:49
Can't comment on the road but the meals at the Taroom Bowls club are good. Steak $10.50 and good! Why would you cook, we didn't :)
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 298619

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 14:13

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 14:13
Thks LK..Renowned as great cattle area there so look frd to some great local steaks..Soon to be on the mainline as the new rail line is gong through that area to link Toowoomba,Chinchilla,Wandoan to the Gladstone port. Heaps of coal all through there. Why can't coal be under desert country instead of all the prime Brigalow cattle country?
FollowupID: 564783

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 16:55

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 16:55
My sister stayed in Taroom a couple of weeks ago and went down to the river with the kids and they were catching yabbies by the dozen with a bit of meat on a string. So you might be able to have a steak topped with yabbies as well :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 298708

Reply By: Member - John R (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:25

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:25
Went there for bushwalking years ago, just after the park was first gazetted. It's more like Robinson Gorge (now Expedition NP) than Isla Gorge (which is just across the highway, and definitely worth a look). When we went we had to get permission from one of the landholders. There were no facilities whatsoever, and I assume none now either.
Cheers, John
AnswerID: 298738

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 07:34

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 07:34
Thks Kev, Darkie, John, Sounds like just the ticket..Facilities! Can take or leave them as we are well kitted in the Aussie Swag. Yabbies will go well with some local steaks. I admire bush walkers John, but am not about to join the throng. They find / see things us 4x4ers just drive past, often just meters away. We had been going to Kaca Mundi (other end of Carnarvon Gorge) for years. Took a coal train driver / bush walker with us last trip. He showed us a cave up on a steep rock hill. Skeleton in a little cave. One of an earlier local tribe. Rocks covered entrance. Bones still there then. Enjoy driving those areas anyway now we have replaced the original blacktop rubber on camper. Put commercial on. No more sidewall puntures.
AnswerID: 298809

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:08

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:08
RockyOne,

We went through Cracow a couple of years ago and Fred Brophy (Boxing Tents) owns the pub there. He was in the bar when we called in for a chat. Also I read that the stone bridges on the road were built by the Italian interns during the war. We didn't explore off road but it was a beautiful drive and certainly would like to go back and have another look.

Here are a few extracts from articles that might interest you.

"The Eidsvold-Cracow Road is quite famous as it was the Defence Road in World War II. Italian Inturns built this road, stretching 78km. Some of the bridges along the way were hand made of local stone by the Italians.

The bridges are no longer suitable for vehicular traffic, however they are still standing and in relatively good condition.

The very small community of Cracow lies to the southwest with an unusual feature being the Inland Defence Road to Theodore — a great drive for 4WDrive enthusiasts built during WWII. The old Ceratodus Railway Station has been relocated to a road stop about 10 kms north of the town and makes an ideal picnic spot with historic photos of the history of rail. Lake Wuruma can be accessed from the west.

There’s another secret to Cracow, and it’s not the location. It’s the beach about 15km out of town on the road to Theodore. A sandy reach of the Dawson River surrounded green Livistonia tree palms which stand out in stark contrast to the brittle silvers of the surrounding countryside. Cracow Beach is a popular getaway for locals and backpackers working in the pub, and for the occasional camper who passes through."

Enjoy yourself

Viv
AnswerID: 298815

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:41

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:41
Thanks heaps Viv. Lots of good reasons to get down there and have a look. Always wanted to see the gorge the Dawson River flows through. Good fishing there I'd reckon. All what you mentioned ties in with the Possum Park Motel & Camping near Miles. Motel units built into concrete caves made during WW2 for ammo I expect. Was a high wooden lookout tower and yank built roads at Columboola, a 'suburb' just east of Miles. We climbed the crumbling ladders when I was 15 (don't tell Mum & Dad;-)
FollowupID: 565006

Reply By: Isuzumu - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 15:50

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 15:50
Looking in my Hema atlas 5th Edition under the National Parks info bit it says no public access, but shows a tent on the map.
Also if you have Dirty Weekends in CQ under tours..."Isala Gorge" there is some good info about Cracow Beach 25 11 02 S 150 11 18 E page 124.

Cheers Bruce.
AnswerID: 298869

Sponsored Links