Sydney to Grampians

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:46
ThreadID: 56656 Views:4511 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am heading down to the Grampians tomorrow from Sydney. Is the best way via the Melbourne bypass or would it maybe better to cut off via Shepperton or maybe further on via Bendigo?

Hope you got some cheap fuel down there. Where I filled up this morning (w'worths) diesel was 25c/l more than petrol. $170 to fill the tanks and I haven't left home yet. Ouch!!!
Fred
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KSV. - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:58

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:58
I would not go via Melbourne. Just use straightest route (probably from Shepperton)– those small “local” road usually good enough for 100 km/hr. Going vis Ring Road does not make any advantages. BTW where you plan camp?

Serg
AnswerID: 298645

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:36

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:36
Thanks Serg. Always prefer to get off the highways so will take the Shep Rd. I have an off road caravan and plan to stay at Buandik - after getting a few ideas from previous postings. Looking for somehere quiet/private. If you have a better suggestion I would love to hear it.
Cheers
Fred
FollowupID: 564764

Follow Up By: KSV. - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:54

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:54
I have been numerous times in Grampians and love this place very much, though nothing that exciting about 4WD. We always been camping in Pines – IMHO very good place with plenty of spaces, plenty of trees and far enough from main places to be populated last. There is water over there – not drinkable, but good for washing dishes and ourselves and hiking truck starts just across the road.

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 564766

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:22

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:22
Serg, where is Pines - can't see it on the map - only pines rd which ends at the Plantation Camp..... or am I going blind!
Fred
FollowupID: 564769

Follow Up By: KSV. - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:46

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:46
Fred,

If you going by Grampians Rd (C216) toward Halls Gap then almost at entry to Halls Gap immediatelly after bridge there is right turn to Mt Zero Rd. 8 km or so on good unsealed road there is camping ground on the right immediately after T-intersection. Probably they call it “Plantation Camp” on your publication, but I am pretty sure that I seen somewhere “The Pines”, but it could be old maps or probably I am getting older :-))))

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 564773

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 13:04

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 13:04
yip, must be the same place. I downloaded the map from the Grampians NP website this morning and it is described as 'clearing in old pine forest just outside the park'.
Cheers
FollowupID: 564777

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:36

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:36
Fred,

Google maps suggests Hume Hwy to Benalla (VIC) then across to Shepperton, Bendigo and then Stawell. 1075K and 14 Hrs driving.

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 298650

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:38

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:38
http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/mynrma/hs.xsl/travelplanner_pop.htm

This site suggests bendigo as the shortest route, Type in where you are and where you want to go and any via points.
AnswerID: 298651

Follow Up By: Max - Sydney - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:44

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 18:44
Bendigo is a beaut place to spend a night or two on the way too - we did that earlier this year and found a lot to look at and do.

We travelled via Shep, following the Google Maps suggestion.

Max

FollowupID: 564837

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:55

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:55
Its a good road thru Shep to Bendigo, then Stawell across teh back of the Pyrenees. Buandik is beautiful I have fond memories of the place
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 298740

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 21:47

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 21:47
Fred, I am with Bonz, but have a look at the Pyrenees for a night or two. You will find a map on the Members File Swap place. Serge says the Grampians aren't exciting but there are plenty of tracks at the Pyrenees. If you are there the Anzac weekend you may catch up with other EO people.

Having said all that, I expect to be Southern Grampians, the first June weekend though.
FollowupID: 565261

Reply By: carswell - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 20:27

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 20:27
Fred

I'd suggest you turn off the freeway at Violet Town and go to Bendigo via Murchison (on Goulburn River) and Rushworth (old Gold town and lovely ironbark forest. Dodge Shepp: it's just another big town.

At Buandik there's a great 4WD track along the top of the Victoria Range. Steep climb up from Buandik, and closed after April I think. Lots of rock art in the vicinity, and rock shelters and caves that are fun if your don't mind a scramble through the scrub.
Tom Carswell

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 298744

Reply By: outback epicurean - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 22:22

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 22:22
Hi

Boreanang on the Glenelg River Rd in the central area is a nice spot to camp. Will be very quiet, better caming areas and you can actually camp close to a fire pit. Buandik suffers from Pine Post Postions by Park Person disease and you can't get close to anything. Also more likely to have to share as its close to the Highway. Neither spot will have water so BYO. Some rain in the region and Halls Gap is green but no creek flow.

As previously said, the drive over the Victoria Range rd is the best in the Grapms, alos look at the Asses Ears road to the north, an interesting road. A steep challenge is Launders Track which links to the Asses Ears.

The main rock art site is about 1 km east of where the Victoria range road joins the Goat track. No sign, look for a pull off area and walking track.

If staying at Buandik, there is a good unsigned walk into a large cave. Walk about 150 M south of where the Goat track turns off the track to the picnic area. Walk uphill through the clearing towards the bush and you should see some tracks that converge and head east into the scrub. The track becomes clearer as you get further in but there is no attempt at any formation. After about an hour you shoud come to a rocky area where the track peters out. Scramble up over the rocky (look for tracks and marks) and you will coeminto the back of a very large cave that looks outto the south west.

Have fun
AnswerID: 298776

Reply By: Member- Tony C - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 23:12

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 23:12
Fred,
I go across that way a fair bit and avoid the freeways.Castlemaine to Maryborough then Avoca,Moonabel and either Landsborough or alt via Navarre to Stawell and Halls Gap is the way i go.If your comming across from Violet Town you would probably go from Bendigo direct to Maryborough.
I agree with the other comments re Buandick and Plantation campgrounds and are well sheltered.Smiths Mill is another good one but can be a bit exposed if the weather cracks up.Another good site is off Glenelg River Rd a short distance up Philip Island Tk called Boreang.
If i see you around the place will say hello.
Cheers.
Tony
AnswerID: 298783

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 21:28

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 21:28
Thanks Tony. Got some things to do in wadonga tomorrow (Fri) then heading down that way. Might only make it by Sat though.
Cheers
fred
FollowupID: 565258

Reply By: Member - Paul C (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 23:30

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 23:30
Did this trip in reverse last year.
Went through Stawell, Swan Hill, Moulamein across to Hay then to Wagga Wagga and up the Hume.
Pouring rain right through till Wagga.

Paul
AnswerID: 298789

Sponsored Links