Lake Eyre camping - advice please

Submitted: Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:48
ThreadID: 56766 Views:4346 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Am currently planning our trip up Googs Track, Painted Desert, Lake Eyre, Flinders Ranges and need advice on camping locations at Lake Eyre.

I notice there are two designated camping spots at Lake Eyre. One accessed from William Creek on the west side of the lake and one accessed from Marree at the southeast corner of the lake.

Would those in the know please let me know which of these camp spots is the preferred option? Is there much difference between the two?

Thanks for any advice given.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 08:37

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 08:37
Best campsite is Muloorina, north of Marree. The station owners have generously provided a nice shady large area, with a hot spa (runoff from bore) nearby. Fee is donation to RFDS. Its about 50k from Level post Bay, which is where you access Lake Eyre North, which of course will be dry.

I haven't camped at Halligan's Bay but people say its open, and more regulated.
AnswerID: 299269

Follow Up By: Plasnart - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 13:54

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 13:54
Thanks very much for the info Phil. Was leaning towards camping at Halligan's Bay but your advice sounds good so will reconsider.

Thanks again, very helpful.
FollowupID: 565483

Reply By: wendys - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 17:59

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 17:59
Muloorina is excellent. Also, it is a bit off the straight-through route taken by most people, so a great place to spend a few quiet days.
AnswerID: 299320

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 18:10

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 18:10
We enjoyed Muloorina a few years ago. Nice spot with a flushing loo at that time!. It is an easy drive over to the edge of Lake Eyre South from the camp site. Not much to see there except vastness. Judging by the wheel tracks, some peanut had tried to drive out onto the lake despite warning signs. No evidence of the Donald Campbell site other than a sign describing the world land speed record.

Oh, there are a few gates to open/shut, including one through the dog fence.

Kingo
AnswerID: 299322

Sponsored Links