another debate for y'all

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 19:59
ThreadID: 56781 Views:1981 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
What are the pros and cons for broomstick aerial vs the ones that stick on the windscreen.

give it your best argument....

Laura

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 20:27

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 20:27
ANY on-glass antenna loses serious amounts of signal. Avoid them if you're interested in getting good coverage in remote areas.
AnswerID: 299342

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 21:01

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 21:01
Yep, what Mike said.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 565530

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 21:45

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 21:45
Not interested, just bored ad never thought of getting one...!!
FollowupID: 565535

Follow Up By: Notso - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 22:18

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 22:18
Cripes mate, think of all the wasted effort by the members answering your post???.
FollowupID: 565536

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 22:21

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 22:21
Mike is right, but Laura, you could get a hard wired one off your gutter or roof bars. Similar gain and higher location to get through.
FollowupID: 565537

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 00:04

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 00:04
Ill be the first to admit that if it gets sooo strict that we cannot ask how so-and-so is going, or have the odd bit of fun then my membership will expire, I probably dont use half of the ''membership" bonuses anyway!

If you take a look at things you will notice that those serial chatters, ie Kev & me, actually do more serious replies than the funny ones where we give each other bleep e!

Your words Kiwi & "Mahindra"

And these are your word:

Not interested, just bored ad never thought of getting one...!!

When you have something decent to post post it, and when you have something decent to say say it.

When I saw your post on the To chat or not to chat thread, I was ROTFLMAO.

Steve.

FollowupID: 565549

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 14:17

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 14:17
Steve,

How about I ask how to change an oil filter......I dont actually intend to do it, let alone need a new one but ask anyway...thats how I learn. I was 'bored' because I am constantly reading and learning things and was having a down time.

This was intended to be a serious post, thanks for making it a painful one to learn from!

Thanks to everyone who answered me without too much of a problem.....

Have a good one anyway Steve.....

Laura
FollowupID: 565597

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 15:12

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 15:12
I opened this thread fully prepared to give you an informed answer your question, I have 4 cars with and external aerial, Then I see that you were bored and didn't really care whether you got an answer or not, so you were wasting my time, that in itself is neither here nor there, but after reading your post in the To chat or not to chat I got p1ssed off, as you say you actually do more serious post than funny one, when we all know that is rubbish.

By the way others on this thread have similar thoughts than me on you wasting peoples time, are you going to give them a spray as well?

Steve.

FollowupID: 565604

Reply By: Dirty Smitty - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 23:31

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 23:31
Just use a coat hanger. I think I may have a couple of spares in my GARAGE! You must be bored.
AnswerID: 299372

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 01:08

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 01:08
Any hard wired antenna out in the open is better than the through the glass ones.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 299379

Reply By: coll964 - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:27

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:27
Why dont you go to a chat room instead of cluttering up the forum Kiwi??
AnswerID: 299411

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:31

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:31
Jees there are some touchy people on this forum at the moment.

I thought Mike's reply was factual and brief and I replied in kind.
No crap, to the point.

However, it would appear that some people just like a long winded reply, wrapped in cotton wool, so here goes.

Once upon a time, I installed a Nokia car kit in the vehicle because I didn't want to be pinched for talking on the phone by the constabulary. Now this car kit had an "external aerial" connected to it, but it was a "through the glass" solution.

Now as time went by, I upgraded both my GSM and CDMA mobiles and they could both be used in the same cradle.
However in implementing this solution, it was necessary to change the "through the glass" GSM only antenna to one which incorporated a dual band that both GSM and CDMA would work on.

So I went along to my "local" supplier, who was experienced in these things, with the intention of buying a dual band antenna.
The advice I was given, and thus took up, was that a CDMA antenna was all that I needed. As well as providing the correct frequency response for the CDMA phone, the supplier advised that the GSM frequency was so close that the minor losses I may experience using the GSM phone, was far less than I previously had with the "through the glass" antenna, which were "the worse solution of all, excess when in strong signal areas. And as the Next-G network operated on the same frequency as CDMA, this aerial solution had an extended lifespan, so my investment was well worthwhile.

Now I have an antenna base sitting up on the gutter area of the roof, which I was assured is the best location for any antenna to work at its peak performance, and in implementing this solution, I also relocated my UHF antenna to a similar position, but on the other side of the vehicle.

When in the metropolitan area of the city in which I live, I employ a short stubby antenna which doesn't get in the way and when traveling into the outlying, or country areas, I change over to the 800mm fibreglass antenna which improves reception even more.

So, does that satisfy you whingers that have nothing better to do, than take a swipe at others who provide factual, although abbreviated, responses.

Laura,
Just for your own information, It is just as easy to run the coaxial cable through the firewall, via an existing rubber grommet, into the engine bay and then to whatever location you decide on for the antenna. Even a "fender" (mudguard) mounted antenna will be far far better than a "through the glass" solution. The TTG solution is only "adequate" for use in the metro areas of cities and will not give you a worthwhile improvement for GSM, or Next-G reception in outlying areas.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 299412

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:44

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:44
What are you talking about????

Steve.
FollowupID: 565583

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 14:13

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 14:13
Cheers for the fun Bill.

Like I said, bored but was actually wanting to know what others thought on this, even though I dont need a new aerial and would never get one anyway....its a bit like asking a question on changing an oil filter - dont need to do it, dont need a new one but wanna know anyway!LOL!

Laura
FollowupID: 565595

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:28

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:28
what a long winded reply Bill
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 565841

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 20:17

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 20:17
At least in future people will know not to waste their time answering any questions from you.
AnswerID: 299508

Sponsored Links