Off Road Box Trailer

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 22:25
ThreadID: 56837 Views:8158 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at buying a 7 by 4 off road box trailer. Now I now zippo about welding and what steel etc so what do I need to look for strength wise. There was talk about how the A frame is welded etc which I have no idea about. Have been told make sure no less then 100x75 tubing ??? and goes all the way through ??? Any replies can send via member email so not to load up this forum unless other people are interested in reading it as well. The trailer will be used off road. Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phantom (WA) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 23:07

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 23:07
Hi Stephen,
I had my 7x4 trailer made in Woy Woy a couple of years ago.
You can see a pic of it in my pics. I have also had a boat rack made to fit and recently had a vinyl top made as well for general useage. It also has Cruiser wheels.
I think from memory it cost about $2500 and the company has now closed up.
If I can help any more pls let me know.
Steve
AnswerID: 299546

Reply By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 23:40

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 23:40
Hi Stephen,

Was looking at campers on Ebay and found this mob,
www.austrackcampers.com
they go into great detail about their trailer specs.
120249105369 is the item number on Ebay, well worth a read.

Dennis
AnswerID: 299547

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 03:01

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 03:01
Yeh it's important to get a strong off road trailer if going bush. A standard trailer will break. Have a look at as many different trailers as you can and notice differences. You don't need to know a lot about welding just common sense, after seeing a few it is easy to tell strong ones and weak ones.

Goes all the way through: the draw bars on many trailers are only long enough to end at the start of the tub and are only welded with small spot welds. In proper off road trailers the draw bars continue right through almost to the axles and the welds are continuous (not just in a few little spots).

The stronger the axle the better. Mine is 2 tonne but 1.5 tonne do well. The frame on mine is about 50X50 tubing the whole way arond the trailer. The tub itself bears no structural weight. Many others are spot welded flat plate to plate as structural supports. The tub is actually the strenth of the trailer! No doubt mine is far stronger. Have a look at pics in my rig page where I have placed gas bottles to see what I'm talking about.

Spring hangers (if it has leaf springs) are a weak point and make sure the hangers aren't the slipper type but are the strong and durable shackle type. When fully loaded for a trip the trailer could weigh over 1 tonne so make sure the springs are tough enough. Mine has about 9 springs with rebound brackets.

Don't believe it if someone states a trailer is off road. Have a look for yourself. Basically the bigger steel, more welding and stronger frame the better.

Barnesy

AnswerID: 299550

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 03:10

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 03:10
You can see what I mean talking about the draw bars (A-frame) on the pic of vehicle set up at Nullarbor. The draw bars go right through to the axle. That welding is continuous and welded to other square tubing to make the frame, NOT spot welded only to the thin plate steel tub.
FollowupID: 565749

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:21

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:21
Steve,

You probably know that I have an 8 x 5 off road box trailer.
Can you make it to Innamincka?? Cause then you could check it out in real time and I presume that Willem will have his there as well.
If not let me know and I'll take some more pics as I think there is only 1 in my rig profile and that is the suspension set up.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 299554

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 21:48

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 21:48
Hi Kev, sorry but for some reason not getting all the replys via email. Same as last time with the post about the fuel cans, didnt get any of your replys between you and Stefan. Did leave a reply from all your comments LOL. Not sure wether you are receiving myn or not or at least some of them. Some more pics would be appreciated if you dont mind. Selling the old box trailer so putting money towards a new or even a good second hand one (depending on build quality and age) reason for wanting to know what to really look for in strength etc. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 565874

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 08:24

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 08:24
Have a yarn to Glenn at All Terrain Camper Trailers in Seven Hills, both he and wife Tricia have been our guides since we embarked on this wonderful lifestyle. I am like you and know zilch about welding.

We did around 37,000km in our first (AT) trailer which was for light off-road work (that was all we would need) as I wasn't confident Fiona would continue on our camping escapade (I am a photographer). I was wrong, she did and we have had to move on to an off-road trailer, but I would recommend this bloke to anyone.

http://www.allterraincampertrailers.com.au/
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 299573

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 08:44

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 08:44
I approached Glen to build my trailer for me, I found him to be very abrupt and not willing to change his design for me. But I may be just an isolated case.
I still don't see the advantage of having the water tank outlets going through the floor of the trailer and be left unprotected from equipment stored in the trailer. Just one of the many changes I wanted done but he would not change.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 565763

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:59

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:59
Well that is surprising from our point of view we found Glen great and he went to great lengths to demonstrate how to put our trailer up on a couple of occasions. He even upgraded our trailer (strength wise) when I (the boss tried to talk me out of it) started going places we weren't meant to go.

Seeing some telltale signs of where we had been he made sure we weren't going to get stuck anywhere and we were new at this caper, so we appreciated his help, so I assume or would like to think it was an isolated case Kev.

He added the water tank to our trailer and it did take a little room, we didn't know so we packed stuff around it and it suited us, on the other side of the coin I can visualise where problems could arise.

The boss got a part time job recently, not for too long I hope, our long distance travelling has been curtailed for a while, which is a bummer because we met so many great people in our travels. I hope we get to meet up with some of you regulars in this forum sometime for a cuppa or a coupla beers, whichever.

We are the pair in the Subaru Forester that now tows an Outback Magnum 340 around.
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 565783

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:14

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:14
I think it is a bit like where people camp, what fridges they run etc.
Everyone has different experiences and that's life I guess.

I had a trailer built how I wanted it and life goes on.

Look forward to seeing you on the road somewhere in the future and hopefully it's not that far into the future ;))

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 565784

Reply By: splits - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:11

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:11
Reading this post reminded me of the old Army box trailers that I used many years ago so I checked in Google to see what I could find.

The site below has a few good pictures and a bit of info on them.

The single tubuar draw bar is different but I can't remember ever seeing one break. Apparently they could be filled with water and used as a bath tub. Empty jerry cans tied to the drawbar and a few orrs or an outboard got you across a river. If you happen to take one out to sea then be careful of submarines because it looks one surfaced under an SAS modified trailer off Jervis bay and had to return to port with the thing stuck on top.

They sound like a handy thing to have on a bush trip but be careful on river crossings if the Navy is in the area.

On a more serious note, these trailers have been pounded around the bush for what seems like forever and a day and are still in use. It would be interesting to compare their design to commercially made camper and box trailers.

Brianhttp://www.remlr.com/trailers.html
AnswerID: 299597

Follow Up By: Ingtar - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 13:07

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 13:07
Interesting link. I think there were some important points in in, one being the picture labelled Recovery trailer (used for Land-Rovers, made by RAEME).

And the maintenance advice:
its always good policy to regularly service the nipples -they are there for good reasons
FollowupID: 565797

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 21:43

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 21:43
Thanks Brian. Not sure whats going on but not getting all the replys via my email. Only have seen a few of them because I have checked the actual thread. David ???? not sure why. Thanks everyone for the replys. Worth checking certain points of build quality. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 565872

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:40

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:40
Glen From AT builds his trailer the way he wants to and he has to warranty the trailer . I have a AT full of road CT and i asked him to do a mod on the tow bar First of all he said he would not do it and i explained that i had a prob with the back door of the vehicle he said he would do it and would not warranty the mod. He does not take your order straight away at shows he will tel you to go away and think about and attend the BBQ at his factory the next week end to make sure that is what you want
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 299598

Reply By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 13:53

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 13:53
Stephen
I was in the trailer industry in NSW and know many of the trailer builders in Sydney, if you wish I will help you when you are ready to do something. MM me and I will arrange something for you if you wish. Its the least I could do for you as I also got one of your Jerry cans that now sits proudly next to another yellow one on my camper.
Colin
AnswerID: 299620

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 21:57

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 21:57
Thanks Colin will do that. Bloody Stefan probably put in on Ebay did he and you ended up buying it LOL, only kidding, they were just sitting around in shed and since getting rid of hilux I didnt want to use them for petrol.Were held in the back of hilux with wide strap up against water tank but had rubber under,behind etc so would not slip about or get damaged and covered with tarp mainly for security reasons. Pretty much like new. Would rather get the appropriate cans/colour etc. Mind you the only way I will carry them if needed will be on a trailer, not keen on having them any where mounted to the prado been petrol, possible roofrack if needed but even then I think I would get the smaller ones so there not sitting so high. Luckily the prado has 159L (needs it v6) tanks so would only need the cans for outback trips none planned at the moment. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 565876

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 17:20

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 17:20
Stephen,

If it is a true off-road trailer you should have no trouble in going anywhere with it.

I have a 7x4 off-road trailer which I have taken to the top end and back with a tinnie on top of it and also to Birdsville, Innamincka and environs.
The only problem I have with it is it has been "sand-blasted" and now has surface rust in some spots.
The A-frame on my trailer is made out of U-channel and will outlast me. It is obviously a fairly heavy trailer, but I could still take it anywhere with extreme confidence, although I have now "upgraded" to an off-road camper trailer 'cos I'm getting soft.

Providing the trailer is a "name brand" of considerable standing and reputation you will be fine.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 299665

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 22:02

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 22:02
Thanks Bill, havn't heard of u channel before, will check that out. Sand blasted,stone chips etc to be expected. Have been told to get all the extras added later eg gas bottle holders, jerry can holders etc so to keep the weight for rego cost down and put brakes on it after also that way wont need to get rego checks yearly. Am going to do some more checking on the rego,brakes etc.Dont want nothing illegal going on.Thanks for the reply. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 565877

Reply By: TrailerTent.com.au - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:36

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:36
Visit us at www.trailertent.com.auto learn about our on and off road camper trailers $3200 (on road) and $4400 (off road).

All out campers have 25 sqm including an annex with some great features. Visit the website for more details.

DAVID
Sales Manager
Camper Trailer Tents Website (Click Here)
AnswerID: 300862

Sponsored Links