JAYCO WESTPORT - WATER TANK

Submitted: Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:40
ThreadID: 56844 Views:9038 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Can anyone help with our problem. We have had ourJayco Westport now for 12 months, great van, however we are always running out of water. We used the van at the weekend had two short showers and filled a couple of kettles and the water ran out. We had the van back twice to the dealer and cannot resolve the problem. Surely the water must last longer than this. Can anyone help out. Appreciate any advise you can provide. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:59

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:59
How big is the size of the tank?
AnswerID: 299602

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:05

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:05
grangey,

Perhaps your "2 short showers" were longer than you thought:-))

A 'normal" capacity water tank on a van should be in the order of 60 litres or so and it is unlikely that you will be using this much as you describe. In fact I think most Jayco models have a 90 litre tank and sometimes two on models with showers.

Firstly, remove the drain plug from the water tank to confirm if there is still water remaining. With a "dry" tank, measure how much water you put in to give you the capacity of the tank.

Check the tank, connection points and hoses to ensure there is no leakage.

If there is plenty of water remaining in the tank, perhaps you are getting an airlock. Confirm that the breather hose (usually incorporated in the filler neck) is not blocked.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 299603

Reply By: grangey - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:28

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:28
Thanks for the info. Will follow up on your advice. We have learnt now not to leave the water running when we shower. Instead soap up with the water off and only turn back on to rinse. So I don't believe we use a lot of water, however can be deceptive sometimes.
Cheers
AnswerID: 299605

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:32

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:32
We have a 75L bladder that we take on trips and that is generaly enough for 2, 2 min showers, water for cooking, washing up and drinking for 2 people over a 3 day weekend
FollowupID: 565792

Reply By: grangey - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:57

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:57
There are two 70 litre tanks on the van.

Cheers
AnswerID: 299611

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 13:11

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 13:11
We have a different model jayco. I have found that with our jayco, if there is some water caught in the air breather tube for the water tank, you will not be able to completely fill the water tank, even though you will have water spilling from where the hose goes in.

One way to check if there is water caught in the breather pipe is to climb under the van and look at the 12mm diameter clear tube running from the tank to the fill cap area. This is usually caused by a section of the breather pipe hanging a bit lower than the tank. A cable tie will hold the breather up a bit higher.

Another way to check is to take the fill cap off, take a big breath and blow air into the tank and if water is in the air breather pipe, the water should blow out of the breather. But beware that the breather outlet is connect just above the filling pipe so the water in the breather will probably hit you in the face.

Once the breather pipe is clear, the water tank will fill to the brim.

AnswerID: 299612

Reply By: grangey - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 13:47

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 13:47
Thanks very much for the info, will try that and see what happens. Cheers
AnswerID: 299617

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 14:36

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 14:36
Hi Grangey,
On our last Jayco we had the same problem Hubby checked the amount of water that went into the tank there was a problem so check this first to see if the right amount of water is getting in. It wasnt with ours I will check with the other half to see what the remedy was and get back to you
barb
AnswerID: 299628

Reply By: grangey - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 15:20

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 15:20
Thanks, will wait to hear back from you.

Cheers Rhonda
AnswerID: 299637

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 17:47

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 17:47
Howdy Grangey, We haven't got an answer for you but are watching the responses with interest. We have an 04 freedom with two tanks, we have only had it for a couple of weeks.
We took it away for the weekend, leaving Saturday, filled both tanks up before departing, the two of us used the shower once each & pretty minimal use otherwise & ran out of water this morning.
At the time of filling up I thought it overflowed a bit to quick, emptied and started again & got the same result. Both vent hoses were clear, so it is a bit of a mystery to us as well. We have put a "thread watch" on your post, so if you solve the problem we would appreciate it if you were to let us know. Cheers.
AnswerID: 299670

Reply By: 93maverick - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 19:58

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 19:58
Check the equalizer pipe between the tanks. Mine was run higher then the tanks, I ran the hose though conduit and installed a valve in the line. This stops the water over flowing from the tanks going up and down hill. Hope this helps.....
AnswerID: 299697

Reply By: awill4x4 - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 00:01

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 00:01
A lot of caravans (our Galaxy is one of them) have terrible breather hoses into the tank/s. You fill them and end up with an air blockage and think the tanks are full when they really aren't.
A simple solution on our van is fill them via the water pump drain plugs the bottom of the tank. the nozzle is the right size to slip the hose over, just open the drain plug and fill the tank, that way the normal filler hose becomes the breather hose and it fills in no time. When water comes out of the filler neck you know it's absolutely full.
Just be careful when removing the hose at the bottom because most the fittings are plastic and need a little extra care so you don't damage the screw on fitting going into the tank.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 299756

Sponsored Links