Caravanning & Bike Racks

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 16:35
ThreadID: 56890 Views:2318 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

I'm looking to buy a bike rack that will need to hold at least three bikes for when we take the 'van away. Does anyone have any recommendations on good type/model etc that will still give good access to the tow bar and, preferably, one that will fold down?

thanks for any advice in advance, much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 18:15

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 18:15
I've just mounted a Mac rack on mine but I put it on the draw bar instead of the rear bumper.

It's a three bike rack but I only carry two bikes, both fairly solid mountain bikes. about 12 to 15kg each. The bar weighs about 10kg.

I originally mounted it on the rear bumper of the old van but I didn't like the look of the weight of the new vans rear bumper material.
AnswerID: 299881

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 18:27

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 18:27
You should be able to resolve the matter but keep an eye on the weight increase - too much and you could cause your van to become unbalanced and possibly unstable. Just keep an eye on your T.B.W. and see that it doesn't decrease below recommended limits.
AnswerID: 299885

Reply By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:17

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:17
Actually I have never had one but I have been looking at 2 bike racks and the Fiamma gear looks the goods. I saw them at the Sydney Supershow and got a catalogue. The "Caravan XL PRO 300" holds 3 bikes and folds forward so you can open the caravan boot without taking off the bikes...I think it will be expensive though...??
AnswerID: 299911

Reply By: Grassparrot - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 09:02

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 09:02
Stevo-z
I have recently purchased a bike rack that holds 4 bikes from repco for $110 about 2-3 months ago. I only carry three bikes on it as I havn't worked out how to pack them properly. I have it mounted to the rear of my camper along with tool boxes and it also does fold down. Have done 2 trips and all is well. I have an extra ratchet strap from the bike rack to a secure point under the camper to reduce rack movement/sway.
Parrot
AnswerID: 300017

Reply By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:11

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:11
Stevo I can picture where exactly you wish to mount the bikes...drawbar or at the rear of the van, but might I make a suggestion.

I bought a reece style rack for my bikes for about $70 and it is very sturdy. Can be mounted on the vehicle when no trailer and I intend to mount a reece receiver at the rear of my camoer trailer when Im towing it.

If your van will suit a hitch being welded to the rear bar on the caravan I beleive this will make a very stable, reliable and easy option for transporting bikes with and without the van.

All the Best

Matt.
AnswerID: 300041

Sponsored Links