Camping in NT

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 17:41
ThreadID: 56929 Views:3254 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I understand that free/bush camping in the NT is a little restricted. Can someone please tell me the official and non-official 'rules' in relation to camping outside caravan parks in the NT.
All suggestions welcome as we have an aversion to caravan parks except for a hot shower and a laundry.

Thanks Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 17:44

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 17:44
I have lived in the Territory for 35 years and have no idea what you are talking about.

We don't have special rules for free camping.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 300110

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 21:42

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 21:42
Steve
As I hope to have my business sold within the next month to 6 weeks and am planning to do a trip through the Kimberlies and the Territory and allowing for the fact that I am a little slow on the uptake are you saying that there are no restrictions other than the obvious to free camping in your neck of the woods?

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 566326

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 18:12

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 18:12
G'day Bob

The Northern Territory Government has gone out of its way in recent years to stop people from camping by the side of the road.
Pressured by the NT Caravan Parks Association who would like to have all their parks full 24/365, they have bulldozed many of the regular gathering places along the Stuart Hwy. From the SA Border to Alice Springs there are only two places to free camp and that is about 25 north of Erldunda and at the Finke River. There is also a place a short weay out of the Alice but these places are so close to the road that you will get some sleep deprivatrion from road trains and other noisy vehicles.

North of Alice there a a few places but as before they are only really roadside stops. Once you get past Katherine the whole bloody road is fenced off and all our hideaways of the past have now been encompassed into private land.

I tend to look at my map and see where a station road goes off the highway and if the station is 50km or more off the hwy then I would toodle down there a km or two and have a quiet camp.

Last year I found a lovely spot under the new bridge at Edith Falls turnoff. The track had been bulldozed before but there was a 4x4 way in and we had a good camp right next to the bubbling Edith River. A train passed by at 4am and stirred the possum!!!

This may have changed recently but before Kaherine there is Gorrie Airstrip and other places after Katherine going north are MacDonald Airstrip, beyond the back of Adelaide River dump, Adelaide River itself driving past the local encampment and so on. But its all developing too fast. In the Top End it is either National Parks, Conservation Reserves or Caravan Parks(if you can get in!!!)

If you stay off the main drag there are more possibilities but local knowledge is helpful.

Cheers

AnswerID: 300114

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 13:08

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 13:08
Gday ,
Not quite right Willem...
Jims Place has free camping, and If they dont mind getting off the road a bit there is Rainbow Valley,Owen Springs, The Junction, Wigleys etc . Most National Parks are free camping or very cheap.

Cheers
FollowupID: 566574

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 14:29

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 14:29
Read what I said Mr! RV and OS etc are all Conservation Reserves

Did'nt know about Jims Place. Did'nt know that Jim gave anything away for free....lol. Maybe he wants to go to heaven...hahahaha

Will call in and say G'day when we get back from our trip into the scrub west of Alice.

Cheers
FollowupID: 566587

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 14:41

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 14:41
"Read what I said Mr!" ????? Errr...I think that should have read
"Read what I said SIR!" !!!!!

Get with it Willem.....didnt you read post 56818???

LOL
It'll will be good to catch up again
Cheers
FollowupID: 566589

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 17:31

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 17:31
My apologies yer Majesty...err Lowliness. Won't happen again

G'day te ye, King Hairy of The Gap

Salutations.........
FollowupID: 566603

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 18:24

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 18:24
youve got the NT mixed up with WA where free campers are considered lower then kiddiefiddlers and grannyrapers.
Plenty of free with no facilitys and modst priced with showers etc on the way into and in Kakadu.
Flora river on the way toKatherine from WA has showers etc and BA people. I rarely have a problem free camping
AnswerID: 300118

Reply By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:17

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:17
Hope this is not doubled up but I have a small book titled Camping guide to the Northern Territory by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage. Boiling billy Publications.
AnswerID: 300238

Sponsored Links