Road Conditions Wentworth to Renmark

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 19:52
ThreadID: 57123 Views:4041 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I would urgently like to know the current condition of the Wentworth to Renmark road.
I am following the Murray River from source to sea, towing a caravan that is okay for good dirt roads, but not built for rough roads.
Does anyone know current condition, or how I can find out the condition - did a Google search, and checked the Road Conditions section of this forum, but so far not much help.

Many thanks,
glids
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scoey4 (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 20:11

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 20:11
Greetings,

Travelled the road below Lake Victoria north of the River over Easter - no worries - didn't have a van but good road.

SCOEY
AnswerID: 301197

Reply By: Garbutt - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 20:40

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 20:40
No probs at all, the road is never bad, just sometimes a little slow. You will be fine.

GB
AnswerID: 301203

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 21:50

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 21:50
Hi Glids
This is a great road and make sure you follow the Old Coach Road, South through Ruffus River and then follow it through the Chowilla Games Reserve. Make sure you have plenty of time and check out all the Historical Features that this area has to offer, Perry's Sandhills just outside Wentworth, Todd's Obelisk, Suicide Bridge, the Old Scab Inspectors Building etc.

Far more history in this area than the other major tracks, eg Birdsville etc.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 301219

Reply By: donk - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 21:58

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 21:58
I was wondering how to get on to this road from the renmark end

Regards Don
AnswerID: 301220

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 22:59

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 22:59
Hi Don
From the Renmark Paringa Visitor Information Centre, Head North up Ral Ral Avenue to Renmark North. 3 Kilometres out of town, turn to your right, Wentowth. About 30 Kilometres from Renmark, again take the road to your right Signposted, Chowilla 8 Kilometres.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 567304

Reply By: Grassparrot - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 13:02

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 13:02
It always has some corrugated patches but you should be fine if you drive to the conditions. Road is nice and wide and as the others have said check out some of the scenery and historic stuff if you are into that type of thing.
AnswerID: 301306

Reply By: glids - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:44

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:44
Thanks for all the replies guys, but we have decided to save the van and give it a miss...

I made enquiries with a fellow from my ex-works, and he called another chap based in the area - the road is currently guff as ruts, as the grader has not been through since the last rain and that was some time ago. Also, possible showers may be in the area today/tomorrow.

A dawn service was organised for last Friday, 100 or so turned up and the main topic of conversation was the state of the road.

We will stay a couple of days in Renmark and make day trips from that end to Chowilla etc - I would have liked to see Rufus River and Lake Victoria, but it is not worth the risk of damage to the van.

Thanks once again,
glids
AnswerID: 301323

Reply By: balko - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 15:32

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 15:32
Thats bulldust went through last week towing a van stayed at camp 7 on Chowilla station for 3 nights its not bad at all maybe the odd sand hole but no real damaging corros if you stay at chowilla make sure you get the book called ( a man called possum) great read. meet the auther,s wife in renmark lovely lady she is. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 301327

Follow Up By: balko - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 15:33

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 15:33
and dont forget a hat for the hat tree
FollowupID: 567420

Reply By: glids - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 16:30

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 16:30
Update, 2nd May ’08.

We brought the caravan across from Mildura to Renmark via the highway, then stayed in Renmark and checked out Lake Victoria, Rufus River and Chowilla by car (4WD) without the van. Certainly glad we did not bring the van across the Wentworth-Renmark Road.

Road conditions will vary because at least 2 graders were working in the area, but we found the following as at 2nd May ’08:
• Main Wentworth Road from Renmark to the junction of Main Wentworth Rd and Renmark Rd (GPS 33o 53.2’ S; 140o 57.1’ E) was rough in places, and newly graded (good) in others. Grader had reached approx 10km from the border. The rough bits would shake any van.
• Main Wentworth Road from Renmark Rd junction (above GPS point) to Rufus River and the Causeway was rough in places, and newly graded (good) in others (second grader). The rough bits would shake any van.
• Road from GPS 33o 58.1’ S; 141o 07.85’ E north to GPS 33o 55.42’ S; 140o 07.88’ E (9 km long) was rough and would shake any van.
Renmark Road, from GPS 33o 55.42’ S; 140o 07.88’ E west to GPS 33o 53.2’ S; 140o 57.1’ E was very rough. Part of it will improve if the grader continues to the border, but then again he may turn down Main Wentworth Rd to Rufus River. Unfortunately he had knocked off for the day when we came back through there, so we couldn’t ask his plans. (Note: Renmark Rd goes over the top of Lake Victoria.)
• Road to Chowilla Station off Main Wentworth Rd (starts at GPS 33o 58.0’ S; 140o 48.95’ E) was rough in places, but not too bad. A decent van would handle it. However, any rain and it gets sticky.
• Do not try to access Chowilla Station via the Lock 6 road and Old Coach Rd with a caravan or low trailer as there is a small levee bank near the Chowilla end that is only around one metre high, but very abrupt. Even a high-articulation off-road van would struggle. (Lock 6 sign is at GPS 33o 57.1’ S; 140o 51.0’ E on Main Wentworth Rd)

Hope this helps anyone going that way.

Cheers,
glids
AnswerID: 301705

Follow Up By: balko - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 10:16

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 10:16
Great indepth update Glids But he did say he has a semi offroad van. If that area is beyond its limits i would take it back . I went in lock 6 and turned right at the Island gate and fell upon that new levee bank reversed up and went around it. The levee bank just short of Chowilla wool sheed has also a easy way (30mts to the right) . I just get a bit PI%&$#ed when people ask and the people that answer talk the track up and scare the bleep out of them and so they miss out on a great place . I would understand if it was the simpson or the canning then saftey is a factor but i suppose each to his own just my thoughts Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 567900

Sponsored Links