Alice to Boulia, Marree and Oodnadatta back to Alice

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 20:19
ThreadID: 57155 Views:2685 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Planniing a trip end of may, has anyone used any parts of this route recently? Loooking at times and track conditions.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 20:30

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 20:30
I spose your gonna head to Birdsville, then down the B'ville track to marree then back up again yeah??? Never done full length of Birdsville track so cannt help there but most people do it in a couple of days or 3.......

Alice - Boulia give yourself 3 days...(in oppsdite direction we camped on Georgina River / Glenormiston station, then Jervois station then altunga ruins...)
Boulia - Bridsville 2 days....camped north side of bedourie....

Oddnadatta track...well...depends I guess...I think we did 4 days...(camped east of Kulgera, then at Dalhousie, North? creek - about 15km out of oodnadatta, cant remember if we were in lyndhurst the next night or somewhere else...) Kulgera - Alice 1 day, but if you go up andado it could be a couple more days......

Hope this helps a little.....

as for track conditions, Ill leave that to others....its been nearly 2 yrs since I was out there....

Laura
AnswerID: 301378

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 21:00

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 21:00
Glenormiston station is now closed to camping. Gemtree and Jarvois are the only fuel supplies that I know of.
FollowupID: 567471

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 22:37

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 22:37
we camped off the road to the right just before the bridge/causeway.....it gets a little dusty if a road train goes past!!
FollowupID: 567487

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 04:25

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 04:25
Thats the way Laura,,

I was just about to tell "those2" exactly the same route !

Funny about that !

All should be relative easy, except if it rains, then look out..

Take a Jerry can just in case. ( you never know )

I recon your longest stretch should be from Jervois to Boulia, ( but I could be wrong ) and you should have that bit covered with your standard fuel tank

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 567494

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 09:12

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 09:12
Funny huh! Did I see you on that route the same time???!!!!LOL!!!!!
It would have to be the longest i reckon too! Its a hard going day....make that 2 days with a stop over!

I still look at the photos a think "how did we think that was clean?!" we must have been halucinating to think the river was clean! Although it was a damn good swim! and even though the clothes came out dirtier, they smelt sooooo much better!
FollowupID: 567512

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 09:20

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 09:20
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

Have fun "those2".....these photos are bringing back memories!
FollowupID: 567516

Reply By: wendys - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 13:18

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 13:18
You can do Alice to Boulia in 2 days, but they would be very long days. Would advise overnight Gemtree, then somewhere along the route, into Boulia the 3rd night. Check out the fuel availability, given whatever is your range. Boulia to Birdsville is an easy day - could get further south if you did not want to stop and look around and enjoy Birdsville. We did Birdsville Track comfortably with one overnight stop (in bush where Cooper Ck crosses track), towing van, so not speeding. Next time, we'll try the station camp area a bit south of Cooper Ck - looked ok when we passed it. You can also camp (fee) at Mungerannie RH but it was a too busy for us. A look at the wetland bit there is worth the stop though. You can stay at commercial CP's at Marree - we prefer Drovers Rest because it is not in centre of township and we like the old drover. Nothing flash but adequate. If you want to detour, camping out at Muloorina wetlands is great. Both the Birdsville and Oodnadatta Tracks are pretty well maintained, though you can get some corrugations and dustholes, depending on when graders have been through, weather etc. Be very wary of either track if rain is likely!! Went up O.Track with van last May, taking time and looking at ruins, springs etc. Camped 1 night at Coward Springs - a return visit 'cos we like it. Next night at Neales River/Algebuckina Bridge - we don't like long days! Then camped at Arkaringa Station after visit to Painted Desert (a must),then a night by the road on SA/WA border, then easily into Alice next day: total 4 nights Marree to Alice. But if you want to linger and really enjoy the bush, that sort of circuit could be extended over weeks!
AnswerID: 301447

Reply By: Holden4th - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:00

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:00
Last May I did Gemtree to Boulia in a day but I was trying to outrun the rain. I succeeded and they closed the road behind me. On this trek I left Gemtree at 6:00 am and after one trying section through heavy mud on the Plenty got to Tobermory at 1:00 pm. By this time I'd outrun the rain but could see it coming in behind me so I carried onto Boulia and the safety of the bitumen. Got into Boulia at 4:45 pm.

Based on this I'd do the run from Boulia via Jervois (night 1), Gemtree (night 2) and then a small drive to the Alice. My original intention had been to drive Alice to Tobermory and the next day head out to Boulia. Unfortunately Tobermory no longer encourages guests for camping but you might like to ring them to see if you can stay. They do have amenities there though fuel is definitely no longer available.
AnswerID: 301511

Sponsored Links