viscount caravans(gazal?)

Submitted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 11:03
ThreadID: 57165 Views:15004 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I was about to buy a Viscount caravan when I came across this in a google post.
Fair Trading welcomes action against crooked caravan companies
31 January 2007
Fair Trading Minister, Diane Beamer, said today she supported the action of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) in banning Mr Nahi Nasri Gazal from managing corporations for five years.
Ms Beamer said Fair Trading had worked closely with ASIC to ensure that Mr Gazal of Punchbowl in Sydney was prevented from working in the caravan construction business.
“The Fair Trading investigations began after complaints were received alleging that defective caravans returned to Mr Gazal for warranty repairs had been resold to other consumers,” Ms Beamer said.
The investigation identified 16 consumers who had bought new caravans but on taking them to the dealerships for repair were told to return them to the manufacturer.
“In each case the consumers dealt with Mr Gazal who promised that he would provide a new replacement caravan,” Ms Beamer said.
“Only one consumer received a replacement caravan and the rest were left high and dry. Consumers had no redress due to Mr Gazal’s conduct and the use of seven phoenix companies to avoid liability.
“Fair Trading helped 15 of the 16 consumers to receive insurance payouts for their missing caravans.”
According to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission all seven of Gazal’s companies were involved in the manufacture and sale of Viscount caravans and were wound up owing debts to creditors totaling $13,048,778, comprising outstanding statutory liabilities and money owed to customers and trade creditors.
Mr Gazal set up a string of phoenix companies by creating a series of new caravan manufacturing corporate entities, each without the liability of the previous failed entity.

The seven failed companies were Gazal Leisure Pty Ltd, Viscount Manufacturing Pty Ltd, RV Manufacturing Pty Limited, Vehicle Assembly Australia Pty Ltd, Mirage Caravan Manufacturing Pty Ltd, Goldstream Caravan Manufacturing Pty Ltd and Gazal Caravans Pty Ltd.
“Mr Gazal’s companies have caused enormous collateral damage but it is pleasing to see that Fair Trading assisted consumers in gaining some compensation and helped ASIC mount its case against Mr Gazal,” Ms Beamer said.
sorry about the long post but I am now wondering if it is worthwhile even considering a Viscount van
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 12:11

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 12:11
I thought they went out of business around end 2006 or thereabouts.

I own one of their late 2005 Dual Axle Sportz vans It is fine as far as vans go, All good quality fittings but not so good workmanship generally.

Having said that it has done 20,000 ks so far with no problems.
AnswerID: 301441

Reply By: disco driver - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 14:54

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 14:54
Hi Graham,
You don't say whether you are buying new or 2nd hand.

Viscount caravans pre 1990's were not associated with Mr Gazal in any way. He bought the Viscount name some time later.

Those early vans were well designed and built. There are still many on the road.

The later vans (Mr Gazal's) were a reasonable build quality and finish.
Having said that, most of the complaints were about his manner of doing business and not about the products he sold, although there were the odd "lemons".

Most caravan manufacturers have had the odd lemon come out of their factories at one time or another.

IMHO if the van suits your purposes and price range and looks to be in reasonable nick, don't knock it just because it's a Viscount.

No connection with any caravan reseller or company, just a happy Viscount owner (1983model)

Disco.
AnswerID: 301457

Follow Up By: graham7773 - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 17:33

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 17:33
I am reassured, I think I will go ahead with my plans. thanks for all your replies. Cheers
FollowupID: 567596

Sponsored Links