A bit O/T..calling all ex smokers

Submitted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:31
ThreadID: 57179 Views:3831 Replies:50 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,

The decision has been made, and a promise to my young daughter has been made as well.

Its time to give up the gaspers, while different things work for different people. I am after your personal experiences so I can tailor a plan that will work for me to get rid of these buggers.

Like when was it the hardest??? having a beer??? what helped you keep your mind off the cravings???

When they are gone I might be able to afford a FULL tank of diesel!! LOL

Thanks Stefan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:36

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:36
My missus has done really well for ages a few times and ends up slipping but its always the same problem- the workplace
everyone smokes it pretty much the social event
AnswerID: 301521

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:51

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:51
thanks....they are making it harder at my work so thats a plus
FollowupID: 567632

Reply By: moorez - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:48

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:48
well done Stefan, i have been smoke free for 7 weeks now. 3 weeks of patches and im all happy!

having a beer is the hardest but think how well you are breathing and how proud your daughter is.

good luck Stefan
AnswerID: 301524

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:34

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:34
she gave me untill x-mas to do it, I am planning the best method for me at the moment
FollowupID: 567619

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:49

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:49
G'day mate,

look, I've never been a smoker, but my best mate was for many years. He did a stint in hospital a few years ago (for pneumonia) and
has not smoked since. Not that the smell of one does not make him pine for it, but he is a strong fella.

what i am saying Stefan is "I dips me lid to you" and I congratulate you on your decision and promise.
AnswerID: 301525

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:52

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:52
have had a couple of half arsed go's before....this time it is a promise to my 5yo girl
FollowupID: 567633

Reply By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:52

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:52
Hi Stefan,
Congratulations on your decision. Carry a pickie of your daughter in your wallet and everytime you even think about a fag look at it.
It worked for me a two packet a day loser, over 15 years ago, and I have never touched one since. The thought of my possibly damaging my kids health carried me through.
I wish you well,

Rgds

Nev
AnswerID: 301527

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:52

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:52
they teach the kids alot about it now....my 5yo gave me a lecture about cancer!!!
FollowupID: 567634

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:02

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:02
Give it a red hot go Stef,

I've been on and off the bloody things for 30 years.

Each time I give up I do a little better the next time.

Only advice is don't slip into the "I'll just have the odd one". One leads to two leads to twenty. Some can do it, but for most of us it's either an all or nothing thing.

I'm due for my next tilt shortly.

Worst thing I ever did was sticking one of those useless things in my gob.

Good Luck, and stay strong,

Jim.

AnswerID: 301533

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:53

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:53
has to be the last go.....a promise is a promise to a child
FollowupID: 567635

Reply By: RalfR - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:14

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:14
I have been a non-smoker for 7 years (easter 2001). I took the drug Zyban and followed the instructions. Had tried to give up a few times before, and smoked for probably 19 -20 years. Once the last packet is smoked (after 10 days of the drug if I recall), I just gave up. That was it. It was like I was a smoker one day, and a non-smoker the next. I had no cravings etc.

Never smoked since and not inclined to. My wife and others continued to smoke around me but it didn't affect me somehow. I spoken to others who didn't have a good result with the drug.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers

AnswerID: 301539

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:54

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:54
I will speak to my GP about the Zyban I think...thanks
FollowupID: 567636

Follow Up By: Rocky_QLD - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 07:26

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 07:26
Got to agree with Zyban, certainly worked for me didn't have to give up beer or coffee. Speak to your GP I got the full treatment for only about $30.00. Some funny side effects at the time but nothing too bad, best of luck.

Rocky
FollowupID: 567677

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 14:27

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 14:27
I believe Zyoban is no longer dispensed due to the number of side affects and psychotic episodes that users suffered.

I have just finished my 12 week course on the new stop smoking drug called Champix. It has been highly successful for myself, a smoker for 22+ years, as well as a lot of my work colleagues and friends who have also started on it. The only side affects I suffered was slight nausea after taking the tablet, but ended up ingesting after breakfast and dinner and with a large glass of water, this reduced the nausea. The second was that overindulging on alcohol was a no no, suffering from severe hangovers the next day, making it difficult to even get out of bed. This was actually a blessing, and now I no longer drink VB or any other full strength beverage, instead settling with light beer. This has also helped my waistline hahahahaha. I joined a gym straight away, and am loving the new energy I have, as well as being able to breath properly again. I have, and at no time during the course had a desire to smoke again, so I am extremely happy. Champix takes control of the receptors in the brain that nicotine usually clings to, thus leaving you with no cravings, and causing the cigarette to taste as disgusting as it is. You smoke during the first two weeks before stopping completely. I actually stopped smoking early in the second week, as I could no longer stand the whole smoking process any more.

Cheers and good luck!

FollowupID: 567739

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 14:58

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 14:58
Glenn

Champix does have some concerning side effects in some people:

"Psychiatric Symptoms

Serious neuropsychiatric symptoms have occurred in patients being treated with CHAMPIX. Some cases may have been complicated by the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal in patients who stopped smoking; however, some of these symptoms have occurred in patients who continued to smoke. Although a causal association between CHAMPIX and these symptoms has not been established, in some reports the association cannot be excluded. All patients being treated with CHAMPIX should be observed for neuropsychiatric symptoms including changes in behaviour, agitation, aggression, depressed mood, suicidal ideation, and suicidal behaviour. These symptoms, as well as worsening of pre-existing psychiatric illness, have been reported in patients attempting to quit smoking while taking CHAMPIX in the post-marketing experience. Patients attempting to quit smoking with CHAMPIX and their families should be alerted to the need to monitor for these symptoms and to report such symptoms immediately to their doctor"
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 567747

Reply By: baldman - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:23

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:23
Hi Stefan,

congratulations on being a non smoker,

I stopped smoking the buggers about 2 1/2 years ago.

No method works for everyone but if you tell people you don't smoke rather than "I am trying to give up the fags" you will find it more reinforcing than a struggle.

Personally for me I got the strongest patches and put one on each arm, after 4 days I felt like I was going to throw up at patch changing time annd stopped using them.

Haven't smoked since, but the urge does try to sucker punch you at any given time.

Just remember, you have made the decision and you don't smoke any longer.

Good luck and with the money you save you be able to buy tyres for the rig as well as the tank of fuel.
AnswerID: 301544

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:57

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:57
A mate from work is still a smoker.....just hasn't had one for 14 years...lol
FollowupID: 567637

Follow Up By: disco driver - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 23:36

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 23:36
Hi Stefan,

Your mate from work has got it spot on. That way puts you totally in control. YOU choose NOT to smoke.

I am also a smoker who chooses not to smoke.
I made this decision after a bout of the flu which would not go away.
My last smoke was at 8.15pm on May 19th 2001 and I was at the coast fishing.
Isn't it amazing that most ex smokers can remember the time,date and place where they had their last fag?

A later visit to my GP revealed that I am suffering with COPD, (the smoking masked all the symptoms), and eventually will have to be on oxygen full time, if I live that long.
Till then I'm living each day as if it is my last.............and enjoying life.

Good Luck and stay strong and positive.

Disco.
FollowupID: 567668

Reply By: Louie the fly - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:27

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:27
Stefan, well done on making the life changing decision. within a few months you should be feeling a whole lot better, not to mention more cash in the sky rocket. I gave up 20 odd years ago. I had hypnotherapy; 3 or 4 sessions and after the first I lost the craving for it. I must have subconsiously really wanted to give it away. If you really want to you will. I have had a few since and to be honest I feel embarrased that I ever smoked. Dont be afraid to ask your mates for help. And your family will admire you for what you have done.

Hardest time - at the pub with mates that smoked after I gave up and having to breath all the crap. They have all quit now as well.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 301546

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:58

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:58
my sister did the hypnotherapy, seemed to work for her...will look into it
FollowupID: 567639

Reply By: jdbb - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:39

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:39
It's a decision you won't regret. I was going through a packet of Drum every couple of days and then gave it up the day before the the wife and first son came home from hospital - couldn't see any reason for him to be breathing in that crap at his age. I just threw it all away and that was it - just gotta do it.
AnswerID: 301549

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:59

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:59
you are right, it just has to be done
FollowupID: 567640

Reply By: Member - Kenneth Trevor B (QLD - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:42

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:42
smoked a packet+ ADAY 3 YEARS AGO PUT A PACKET ON TABLE HAVE NOT HAD A PUFF SINCE STILL FEEL LIKE ONE NOW /THEN BUT JUST SAY THAT WAS A GOOD SMOKE NO SMOKING INPUBS HELPS
AnswerID: 301552

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:01

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:01
the smoking ban, is a good thing for a recovering smoker I'd say
FollowupID: 567641

Reply By: Member - Matt & Julie (VIC) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:43

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:43
Hi Stefan
Good on ya!!! I was a three pack a day smoker and I gave up cold turkey 13 years ago, the first few weeks are the hardest I found that I got short with people, but the one that takes most is the wife you need a tough one. Drink at home as long as you can before going out, the thing I did was to refuse to buy them
Good luck
Cheers

Matt & Julie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 301553

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:02

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:02
thanks for your support, my wife is a tough one......and a smoker
FollowupID: 567642

Reply By: Isuzumu - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:57

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:57
6 years for me and the Missus, cold turkey is the only way to go. I thought I would not be able to do it but I did and that is the biggest kick you will ever get. I smoked for 35 years.
After I think it was six weeks I knew I would never have another so we worked out how much it was costing us and went to the bank got a loan and brought the MU, now every time I look at it I just say to myself sh't that was a good move.
And yes ge I feel great, also done the deed with the drink, well don't drink during the week any more.

Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 301556

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:03

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:03
the money saved in 2 years would buy my dream CT
FollowupID: 567644

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:01

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:01
Hey Stefan.

If you have a fair din cum crack at it, it will be rewarding in many ways.

Is it easy ? not a chance, is it doable ? big time.

I woke up on the 28 of December 2000, I finished coughing my guts up, Then I walked up to the wife and said I promise I will never smoke again, I went to the chemist and got some patches, 3 days after I put a patche on, it fell off in the middle of the day, I didn't notice until late that night, so I decided I didn't need them either.

By the way I was down the pub that afternoon having a beer, I didn't tell my mates either as I didn't want them to ridicule me and give them an opportunity to sucker me back into it, It was 2 weeks latter one of them noticed, and by then I was well over it.

Have I thought about taking it up again ? many times, I have even had dreams about it, but I will never smoke again.

I saved $7500 in the first year, I also put on 20 kgs, I wish you the best, but once you have done it don't go back.

Cheers Steve.

AnswerID: 301558

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:07

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:07
Thanks Steve,

This is stage 2 of re-inventing Stefan........last year I was an obease smoker....spent the last year losing around 25kg, so now its time for stage 2 being a non-smoker....must admit the weight gain scares me but its par for the course I believe....plus it must be better to carry a bit extra than pump yourself full of poision all day.
FollowupID: 567645

Reply By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:05

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:05
Hi Stefan.
Good on you for making the decision. Your now halfway there. I gave up close to 30 years ago and was over a pack a day at the time. Had several attempts and failed every time, and in short time to. Then one day in the smoko room at work I suddenly made the announcement the I was going to give up for good this time and threw the part packet into the bin with great drama. Have never had fag since, nor wanted one, no cravings etc. at all. How did I do it ? I have no idea. Wish I did then I could make a million dollars from the plan. Maybe it was because I then avoided the pub with all it’s smokers, maybe because of the very public announcement and risk of loss of face. Perhaps my brain just said enough is enough. I just don’t know. Must say that I have never got back into the pub habit again so maybe that helps to stay off them. Whatever it takes Stefan just do it because life is way short as it is with poisoning your self as well. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Cheers, CliveG NZ.
AnswerID: 301559

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (QLD) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:08

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:08
Hi Stephan,

I was a heavy smoker. 60/70 per day plus pipe. It was part of the ritual to light up when I got into the car. Could not leave town without at least one packet on the dash and I travelled for a living.

Daughter started medicine studies at Uni in Brisbane and I took her down each Monday morning and brought her home each Friday. The entire two hours each way and she used spend the time describing in detail what was happening to my lungs and would provide graphic pictures to illustrate her case.

This coming weekend - Labour Day in Queensland - will mark 21 years since I surendered to her nagging and quit cold turkey. I recall my 15 yo son cominmg to me one Sunday about two months after I quit and offering to buy me a packet of smokes because I was cranky with the world. We laugh about it now but it was serious at the time. Even now there are occasions when I get into the car and actually hit my pockets to make sure the cigarette packets is there out of habit so it is a very long process.

About 10 years back I had X-rays of my chest and was given the all clear subject to the proviso that the damage had been done and although the 'patches' were in place there would always be the chance that those years of smoking would bite me on the bum.
Tell you daughter to keep nagging. You can do it. Just keep telling yourself that you're doing it for your grandchildren. The other benefit is that food actually acquires a taste again.

Kevin J

AnswerID: 301560

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:10

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:10
Stefan,

Just keep reminding yourself how much better the beer will taste.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 301561

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, May 02, 2008 at 08:18

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 08:18
Thtas not quite true...never had a bad tasting beer yet
dont drink xxxx or carlton draught so are you saying that these can actually taste good?

FollowupID: 567684

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 09:04

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 09:04
Aha!

What I was alluding to Nudie was that any beer will taste better, but not necessarily good:-)

Food also has more flavour.

Being an ex smoker myself I don't preach to the "unconverted" as I know how hard it can be to quit, but I feel much better from having kicked the habit.

Now chewing gum, that's a different matter altogether, but that's another story:-)

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 567690

Follow Up By: didiaust - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 11:10

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 11:10
G'day Stefan

I had a few attempts ,tried everything then a GP mate suggested the patches and these cigarettes that have NO tobacco or nicotine. They are available at some health food shops and some tobacconists. they are made from marshmallow leaf in England - look just like a real B&H with filter - also have menthol . They were called Honey Rose or something like that . I gave up on Australia Day 1999 so not too sure of the name. These substitute smokes cost similar to the real thing BUT they were so terrible I only smoked 6 or 8 for the first few weeks then only a couple . I carried them for months although after 6 weeks didn't really have the urge.

It was not easy at first but I was determined that this addiction was over and I was not willing to go through the withdrawls ever again. I also put $10 each day away and i travelled on the money I saved - USA- South Pacific cruises - I kept rewarding myself and it worked . I have stopped putting the money away but let me tell you every now and then I get a little urge - like sitting around a camp fire with a beer .

You must also have the attitude that if you slip back and have 1 that you immediately begin the abstinence again don't put it off and say that you will try again next week - month etc.

Good Luck and let us know how you go

Di
FollowupID: 567714

Reply By: jdbb - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:23

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:23
Just remembered the other bit of stupid logic I used to convince myself I didn't need to smoke - if I could go without them for 10 hours during the night, why did I need them during the day - and 30 years later I still don't miss them
AnswerID: 301564

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:30

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:30
Stefan

I,m coming on to two years without a smoke after 29 years at the end around 50 a day,

I whet CT the first day and nearly died, got the missus to get some NicabateCQ Lozenge's because I wanted to be in control.

I would have a lozenge only when I felt like a smoke (mind you they taste like crap) they controlled the body's needs just doing stuff took clear of the brain stuff,

Its hard but do-able

I still have packets of smokes in the Troopy and the work Ute so I never panic LOL..

I hope this helps

Regards

Richard
AnswerID: 301569

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 13:10

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 13:10
also make sure you are giving up for yourself not other people, that way you have no one to blame..

Good luck
FollowupID: 567730

Reply By: margcox - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:36

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:36
I successfully gave up cigarettes 6 years, 3 months and 25 days ago (not that I'm counting) and it was really, really hard to kick a 36 year habit. I was smoking 40 a day. My doctor gave me a script for Zyban which helps control the cravings. The biggest help was the 4 Ds - drink lots of water, delay having that die for cigarette, do something else and take lots of deep breathes. My colleagues made up a sign saying how many days since I had had a cigarette and I updated the count each morning. It was extremely motivating and I didn't want to let them down.
I didn't give up cigarettes willingly but my husband had had a bad car accident and I became the bread winner. With cigs costing me $100 per week, it was a matter of do I smoke or eat. Obviously eating won.
Another inspirational thing to do is to check out on the net the changes to your body as time passes as a non smoker. When you can map how your lungs clear, your heart improves, etc, it helps you to keep going that little bit longer.
And remember - 85% of ex smokers who have just one puff, become full time smokers again.
I'm now a passive smoker!
AnswerID: 301570

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:40

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:40
If you have a setback - dont think it cant be done. Apparantly those that give up often have a few attempts
AnswerID: 301571

Reply By: Parso - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:43

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:43
Well done Stephan
20 years ago on New Years Eve I took the kids (then 10 and 7) and the handbrake to a John Farhnam concert at the Myer Music Bowl. He did the song "Burn For You" and 10,000 people lit and waved there cigarette lighters during the song.
Something snapped with me and on the way out of the concert I dropped a near full packet of B & H and the lighter in a rubbish bin.
The next day I went bush for three days, rabbit hunting, with heaps of grog, etc. Still did not have a fag.
I have not regretted one single second since.
good luck!
Parso
2012 Toyota Landcruiser 200 Series Sahara.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 301573

Reply By: turbopete - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:02

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:02
after 40 years of smoking,I went to a hypnotherapist at reservoir in Vic and have not had a smoke since i walked out hids door 3 yrs ago
AnswerID: 301576

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:33

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:33
Good on ya Stefan. I smoked from when I was about 14 to when I was 61, and gave up unsuccessfully dozens of times in that time. But I honestly have not had as much as a single puff or sniff of a smoke since 21 June 2005. Nearly 3 years. I reckon a smoke would kill me now. I don't know the answer though. The time just must have been right. One of the main things I did was not go around telling people I'd given up smoking. Once you do that, they're always asking you how it's going etc. Just keep a low profile. Don't tell yourself you've given up. Just tell yourself you don't smoke. That's easy for me to say,'cause I've done it. Stick with it. I must admit though, I'm still waiting for when I'm supposed to feel better!! Honestly don't feel any different. Maybe the damage had been done over the 40 odd years. SWMBO still smokes, and snaffles my smoke money too!! But she stashes it away for our few trips away every year. I don't have any trouble getting a few$$$s from her for necessary toys either!! I wish you all the best.Cheers.
Roger B.
AnswerID: 301583

Reply By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:54

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:54
stefan P
18yrs. ago i kicked the terrible habit of 60 tailor mades a day plus a packet of Drum a week. The main reason was my health as my rattling chest would wake me and the Missus up of a nite. Another main reason these days would be the cost(would well and truly pay fuel costs on our tripping round Oz)
Went cold turkey and haven,t looked back since.
Hang in there and reap the benifit like tasteing food again.
Good luck, Duke
AnswerID: 301590

Reply By: Roughasguts - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 23:01

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 23:01
Mate good luck.

But if I may make a sugestion, do it for yourself and when your ready.
Don't do it for others that just puts more pressure on you. And say for example you did it for your wife and then you had an argument, well the first thing you will be temted to do is buy a packet of smokes and then blame her for starting up again.

But if you do it for your self and when your ready then you will have less exscuses to try and blame some one else for stressing you in to smoking again.

Anyway the first thing I did 3 years ago was give up drinking, then cut down from 12mg smokes to 1 mg smokes over 2 years.

Then a guy at work said he's reading a book by Allan Carr, that his Ex has read and she's given up the smokes, and if she can anyone could. So within a week I had the book and started reading it slowly, veeeeeery slowly. My work mate had already given up for a week and doing it easy. I followed the books instructions to the letter and stopped smoking when it said to, and haven't had a smoke since.

They say the first 3 weeks is the worst, and then it gets easier, I found closer to 3 months and still get a very strong very fleeting craving for a smoke but it's gone in seconds.

But never ever have just one smoke, cause that's how you started this habit a long time ago, the next thing you knew you were hooked. SO DON"T HAVE Another Smoke ever again.

Now 10 months later I had to go on a low carb diet to lose the extra 10 kg of weight I put on by compensating for smokes. But have lost me extra weight now after 6 weeks of the diet, and have sarted drinking low carb full strengh beer.

So the beer tastes better, I have more energy for me kids and I don't rush meals so I can go and have a smoke. I don't wish the movie was over so I can have a smoke. I don't get up in the middle of the night to have a smoke. I listern to the kids read and not get distracted by wanting a smoke instead.

Life is much better with out the control those things have on your life.

Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 301592

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:43

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:43
But never ever have just one smoke, cause that's how you started this habit a long time ago, the next thing you knew you were hooked. SO DON"T HAVE Another Smoke ever again.

How very very true, couldnt agree more with this comment, thats how I started again and wish I never bloody touched them. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 567758

Reply By: dedabato (SA) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 23:41

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 23:41
Stefan, I used to smoke 30-40 cigs. a day for 43 years. I have 5 grand kids and 3.5 yrs. ago I made a decision not to smoke any more but the money that I used to spent every fortnight on the smokes, I'll bank on a special Acc. opened in the names of my grand kids. Well mate. 3.5 yrs. after, there is on that Acc $9k. I do however get the occasional urge, but when I see all the Mulla there for them,,,, no bloody way am I going to deprive them of that little treasure...
Keep it up, Mate and "promise is a promise......" Good luck.
AnswerID: 301596

Reply By: techie - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 00:17

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 00:17
Hi all
I quit in November 1993.

Tried dozens of times to quit - always had a problem when drinking.

Saw the doc cause the sex life stopped.... 30secs, no breath.
Said he would see me in a pine box in 12 months.

Walked down tobacconist and bought a carton of herbal cigarettes. Same price as normal ciggies.

Every time my mind screamed for a nicotine hit I stuck one in my
mouth and my mind was happy for a while.
Then it wanted another hit so another herbal.

This went on for 3 weeks then woke up one morning and didn't want a ciggy - my mind realized making me light up a ciggy did not give it the nicotine hit so it stopped trying.

Haven't had one since (and sex life picked up after 12months).
picked up more when I found a new girlfriend who didn't smoke.

One problem was they smelt like dope so every time I went past a pub (didn't go in as that was my weakness) the people came out wanting to know where the dope came from and could they buy a joint.

That is how I gave up.... but then I really wanted to give up.

Techie

AnswerID: 301599

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 06:17

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 06:17
Good on ya mate....... And for stage 3 of the new you..... you can run around with me on the world cup mountain bike track.
I have got a copy of Allan Carrs book. Read it once and it was amazing. I just was not ready to quit. I reckon u have a go at the book first. u can borrow mine if ya want. But i will need it back when I am finally read to get rid of the bungers......
well done with making the decsion.
Peter
AnswerID: 301606

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 07:42

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 07:42
Mate, I used the patches, after 20yrs of 1.5packs/day. Never touched another one after putting on the first patch. That was over 10 years ago.

Best piece of advice I can give you is don't change your lifestyle! If you stop drinking while trying to give it up, then later on decide to have a beer, the first thing you'll do is light up again :-(( Do everything the same as you do now, just minus the coffin nails.

You've done the hardest bit already, that's making the decision. You'll never giver them up 'till YOU WANT TO.
AnswerID: 301614

Reply By: Member No 1- Friday, May 02, 2008 at 08:23

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 08:23
13 yrs since i gave it up....cold turkey

sometimes wish i was still smoking...its a craving you never loose i guess.

once you do give it up you'lll never look back......life insurance becomes cheaper too

AnswerID: 301619

Reply By: Member -Signman - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 09:09

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 09:09
Stefan maaaate,
Giving up smoking is easy- I've done it a hundred times!!
Coldy holders all good for next week...

AnswerID: 301627

Reply By: Penguin (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 09:50

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 09:50
Stefan

GO FOR IT!!

My wife and I stopped smoking 25-30 rollies a week each in December last year. We started using patches but didn't really feel the need after about 6 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I still feel like a smoke but the craving is manageable and doesn't last long. I was concious about weight gain and managed not to get into the snacking instead of smoking habit and didn't put any weight on.

My wife assured me that nobody has ever died from giving up smoking until March this year. I was admitted to hospital after suffering a heart attack and requiring a quadruple bypass, 2 valve repairs and a defibrillator implant! (Sounds like some sort of turbo uprade!) We have talked about how fortunate it was that we gave up smoking when we did rather than have that to deal with in hospital.

We do find that the cravings are strongest when having a drink but they go away quickly enough.

BTW, I lost 12 kgs in hospital so the weight gain is not an issue now!

Good luck with giving up.

Mike
AnswerID: 301636

Reply By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 09:59

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 09:59
I been heavy smoker in uni (pack per day). Stop it for 10 years or so. Then start again for 7 years or so, but not that heavy (two packs per week). Now I am not smoking for 5 years – from some time cigarettes does not tastes so good as use to be. I still can have small cigar, particularly in good company after some drinks (say 1-2 times per year, but last 2 years was missed :-)))), but it never “reignite” anything at all. My strong believing based on own experience that no patches could help you, because you need patch your brain. Everything sitting in your skull – you have to convince yourself that it is nothing good to be smoker. Also do not promise “I will never ever” because it makes it psychologically more difficult – something that you need change forever. Just work through your brain and remember – your body does not need smoke, only your brain ask for one. I know one fellow who makes process much faster by reading good illustrated medical book about subject.

Good Luck

Serg

PS goog positive OT BTW
AnswerID: 301641

Reply By: Member - Lewis K (QLD) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 10:18

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 10:18
Good on ya Stefan. Wife and I both gave up a bit over 20 years ago. We both found that a simple "throw them all in the bin and never touch another" was the only way to go. If your mind is in the right place, the quitting is easy. You only have to give up one smoke.

The thing that put me into the correct frame of mind was a phone call from a mate in Perth who had just got out of hospital from a major heart attack. He made a comment that every single person in the Royal Perth Hospital heart ward where smokers. After hearing that it took all of 10 seconds to make the decision.

Hope it goes well for you. I can guarantee that you will never regret making the move to being a none smoker.
AnswerID: 301643

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 10:56

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 10:56
Some guy asked John Laws years ago on his radio program how he gave the cigarettes up.. John said" i just dont put them in my mouth". I myself was diagnosed with early signs of emphysema at 34yo. There was not a day went past without struggling for breath. gave it up on the spot, scared the hell out of me. Doctor told me if i continued, i would be in awheelchair in 5 years and dead in 10 years.
I bought a racing push bike and rode to work 23ks each way for 3 years , 3 days a week.. now at 51, no problems at all. So you can reverse some damage if you get it in time and just stop. I see young people smoking now and i just think, boy how stupid with all the warnings and info out there compared to when i started smoking, TV ads, billboards, and girls in cowboy outfits handing out a pack of 3 Marlboro in shopping centres for free,, All the info is out there.. everyone heed the warnings... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 301649

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 10:57

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 10:57
I stopped by not drinking for about 6 weeks. About three months later, while having a few drinks I felt like a cigarette, so I had a puff of one. It tasted awful. So instead of trying to get used to the flavour by smoking the whole thing, I left it at that one puff. Haven't had a cigeratte since and that was about 4 years ago.

All the best.
AnswerID: 301650

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 10:59

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 10:59
Oh, one moret hing. The day I stopped smoking (and drinking) was after a BIG night out. So it felt good not to smoke the day after.
FollowupID: 567710

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 11:17

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 11:17
Hi Stefan ,

When you stop ,you must say to yourself " I have chosen not to smoke " . Don't think , oh I'm busting for a smoke .

When you do gets the irrates , take 5 really deep breaths and flood your body with oxygen for a good high .

Do not eat more than usual to make up for the missing smokes - this is disastrous and will lead to you starting again .

It's all attitude - the physical part is over in a week .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 301657

Reply By: Bagwon - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 13:11

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 13:11
I used a drug called ziban and it worrked brilliant. was smoking a packet of rollies in 2 1/2 days at the time,had been smoking for 33 years. you here good and bad things about this drug,the only side efect i had was crazy dreams. Havent smoked since 2001. goodluck

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 301674

Reply By: vuduguru - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 14:10

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 14:10
Good Luck Stefan,

I used a book called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" Godd for getting your head in the right frame. Worked for me.
AnswerID: 301685

Reply By: Jo and Mark (Qld) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 14:25

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 14:25
Am at that point myself and was just going to mention the above book to you! I've been smoking for 20yrs now and enough is enough.
AnswerID: 301691

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 14:49

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 14:49
Stefan

The niccotine withdrawal lasts between 12 and 24 hours. The cravings after that are emotional and habit.

People 20 years after quitting still crave cigarettes at times. The cravings do get less over time.

There are triggers that cause people to crave cigarettes. An example is having a beer. A lot of people have a cigarette when having a beer. After they become non-smokers they will getting a craving every time they have a beer as they associate having a beer with having a cigarette. The cravings only last for about 5 minutes and the idea is to develop strategies to get through the cravings.

The 4 Ds

Delay
Deep breathing
Drink water
Do something else.

One person I know always carried a water bottle with a rubber top. Every time he had a craving he would have a drink of water and then chew on the top.

There are also a range of niccotine replacement therapies including patches, the gum, etc.

There are also medications, zyban and champix. They have to be used carefully as they can have serious side effects.

The other thing is to remember that it takes an average of 4 attempts to quit smoking. If you relapse use it as a learning experience and look at what happened to cause you to start smoking again. You can then plan to prevent this from happening the next time you try to quit.

I have been very succinct with this reply. If you want more detailed information send me you email address and I will forward it to you.

Tjilpi

AnswerID: 301696

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:47

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:47
Hi there Tjilpi, I have sent you a member message. I would like if you have the time to also send me some more detailed information. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 567759

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 22:44

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 22:44
Stephen M

Try the following links. They are full of info.

http://www.quitnow.info.au/

http://www.quit.org.au/browse.asp?ContainerID=1587

If you need more my email address is on my profile - just send me a request.

Another method of gaining information is to do a QUIT Course. There are facilitators trained to deliver the courses throughout Australia.

There are a range of options in quitting. What works for one person may not work for another and quite often it may need a combination.

A lot of good information has been posted as well. A lot can be learned from other who have experienced quitting.

Tjilpi

FollowupID: 568007

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:41

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:41
Hi Stefan, good on you. Wife woke up monday morning and said thats its we need to stop smoking, straight away I fired up and said I will quit when I want to not because you want to. Negative attitude by me I know but there is nothing worse. You have to because YOU want to either for money, $$$ or in your case a promise to your little one which would be the biggest of them all more so because you want to be round to see them for as long as possible. I have tried hypnotherapy 3 times. The first time I had it done by a bloke at Baulkham Hills, older fella and I had one session with him. He said if I feel like Im going to want one to go back to him. Just short of 3 months I went to a party had a few thought mmmm I just bludge one and that will do me, well 4 years later and Im on a pack a day. Very true whats been stated in other replys either none at all or smoke because one leads to two and so on. I have since been to another two hypno'S here in Penrith totally bloody useless, and I really had it in my head this was gunna be it no more, walked out of them both times and I new straight away it ddnt work. The old fella at Baulkam Hills is no longer doing it but if you manage to go down this path and it works and I'm sure it will please let me know who you went to. I will let you know the two mobs not to go to. Girl at work went to the same two and said the same thing so wasnt just me. I dont care what any one says (mainly referring to people who never have smoked in there life) its bloody hard but the rewards are well worth it. I have cut back since monday to about 6 a day but am piss week when it comes to convince myself to stop and the more the other half nags the more I decide dont tell me what to do LOL. First time I stopped for 3 years before I met my wife. Never had another one till I had been going out with wife for a few months, (not blaming her) same old story mmm just have one been smoking again since bar the 3 months. All the best with it all and if you dont succeed this time doesnt mean you have failed just means you need another go. Some great advice above I will be reading it over myself a few times. Just read up on the drugs part of it if you go that way. Plenty of people have succeeded using this method. I also worked for the company that made them and was a huge recall (taken off market for a while) due to heart attacks dont mean to scare you but hey check it wright out first with the doc. All the best. Regards Steve PS If some thing goes wrong with patrol while giving up the coffin nails have it fixed by some one else, it will be cheaper then smashed windows either on the patrol or the house due to flying tools. LOL. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 301701

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 17:00

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 17:00
Well done , mate. You say your wife smokes, any chance of getting her to join you in the effort ? Much better for the kids & you can give each other support. It aint easy but the biggest hurdle is really wanting to do it. If you aint fair dinkum you may as
well not bother. When I gave it up, nearly 30 years ago, every
bugger smoked & there wasnt much encouragement but now
most will praise your efforts. I havent any magic cures for the
cravings but I continued to carry tobacco for about 3 months,
just never used it. I cant find the money I'm saving but the health
issue is the real benefit, for you & your family.
Tough it out, you can do it.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 301711

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 18:27

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 18:27
Bloody hell Stefan now look what youv'e started LOL seriously mate finally gave it away 28/7/01, I cut it down to 6 a day then 3 then 3 halfs then I seen how long I could go before finishing the last half which got longer and longer till the point of termination, 7 years now and glad of it,
good luck and keep it up,
Dave
AnswerID: 301720

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:06

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:06
What you have to do is work out what you are addicted to.
I was a heavy smoker 50 a day and gave up 7 years ago without any problems really going cold turkey almost. There was a product that you got from the doctor that was basically an antidepressant as I found out later that you had a couple of weeks before hand.

I think AI was just addicted to habit but what I did was waited for an opportunity which in my case was a trip away for a conference.

Stopped smoking when I went to bed got up and into a limo to the airport so couldn't smoke in either or on the plane. Late arrival into Brisbane vis Sydney airport so once again no smoking allowed. Into limo to hotel - 10 mins to be at function(no smoking venue) late night and then straight to bed. So it was over 24 hours from last smoke. Walked around with unlit cigarettes or straws or pencils for a few days then came home. Was hardest in week two but just had to have discipline.

Now for someone else that might be give up smoking before a canning SR trip or similar wher there ar no shops for a while.

HOWEVER,

If you are addicted to Nicotine then I really feel for you and what you will have to endure .

Good luck
AnswerID: 301739

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 10:56

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 10:56
go to GP and ask for CHAMPIX.

good luck...
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 301820

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 20:59

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 20:59
Stefan

Yeah me too

My family drank and smoked like there was no tomorrow.

I peaked at 75 cigarettes a day. Trying to relieve the stress caused by near on 60 employees.

Started getting asthma

16 December 1974(after smoking for 19 years).......started coughing and it got worse. Went outside and spat out blood.......

Took the packet of Texan(Smoke Texan and cough like a pistol shot), crunched it and declared that I would never smoke again. My family howled with laughter.

I went cold turkey and have not touched a fag since that day.

Mind you I put on a bit of weight though...lol

Have had chronic asthma over the years as a result of the smoking. Last December a kindly doctor put me on a new medicine and my asthma has disappeared. I am feeling better every day.

Now about that weight...........................................

Cheers
AnswerID: 301903

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 21:45

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 21:45
100 per day of the 16mg peter jacksons for more yrs than care to remember ,, decided to do a 4x4 trip in 02 , swmbo says "' not spending 5 weeks in a smoke filled car with you stinking up the place " ,,,,,,, so after 32/35 years gave up ,, bestest thing ever ,, DRUGS are the go ,,, ZYBAN ,, 2 days @ 1 per day then on day 3 increase to 2 per day , on day 5 the ciggies taste so bad that you just about throw up ,,, havent had a smoke since ,, never mind the so called side effects , mine was a restless sleep for a week or so ,, saved $35,000+ alone in that time which is more than the 1 full tank of diesel ,, Axel , Karen + Kirk , on the road on a 6mth 1/2 lap / posting from port Augusta.
AnswerID: 301909

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 08:13

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 08:13
So it seems that you I were on the same road yesterday. A LC passed by me from Leigh Creek about mid morning when I was relinflating the tyres south of Beltana Roadhouse. Could have been you.
FollowupID: 568017

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 18:11

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 18:11
Perhaps , dark maroon 80 series with boat on roof rack towing campomatic c/t ,, boat rather distinctive , ally with red stripe and exploroz in big white letters ,, also exploroz windscreen banners front and rear ,,,,,,
FollowupID: 568074

Reply By: Member - Richard K (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 18:30

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 18:30
Have never been a smoker, but I remember going to see a mate in a concert at an ABC studio years ago back and his father came along too. I was astounded to see this man, an 80 per day smoker, sticking his nose into a packet of cigarettes during the concert (which was being recorded so noone was allowed to get up and leave) and inhaling as deeply and violently as he could to get something, anything of a hit to get him thru to the end of the show... When the intermission came, he shot outside and never came back to see his son finish the concert as he couldn't survive thru another hour or so without a cigarette..unbelieveable..
AnswerID: 302011

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 20:35

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 20:35
I was a packet a day man for about 35 years.
There was no way i was ever going to kick it. I went on Patches and chewed gum for about 3 years so i never got off nicotine just the smokes. I eventually fell off the wagon and started up again.

Then one day my ticker made the decision for me. Luckily it was a very minor heart attack with no damage done to the muscle. It was a shot across my bows and this time i took notice.

At age 47 with 2 young kids (14 and 11) and a wife, I realised what i could have lost and the difficulties they could have had to endure because i was too stoopid to kick the habit.

I still sometimes get the urge but its not as strong as the urge to live.Stick to it Stefan the rewards eventually outweigh the urge. Yes i am a bit fatter than i was. but that is just another hurdle to conquer. One thing at a time...
Good Luck Mate
AnswerID: 302031

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 20:37

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 20:37
Meant to add that you will never be a non-smoker you will be an ex-smoker
FollowupID: 568100

Sponsored Links