Deterring thefts and stealing from your car?.....

Submitted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 12:52
ThreadID: 57227 Views:3475 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all...

Some buguars just smashed my rear passenger window & stole my laptop, UHF and other goodies yesterday while I was parked on a major street in Melbourne city. Devastated. Their ordacity is just unreal...

Now, I have a kill switch switch for the motor but now I am thinking about other ways to deter thieves breaking in. Falling short of installing a costly security system, are there any good hints/ thoughts about deterring these buguars from such a crime?

Cheers

Ro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 13:13

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 13:13
big black dog does the trick. idiots think twice with a rotti on the back seat, even though she would only lick em to death!

other than that a nice loud alarm. but does anyone even acknowledge them anymore!

It's a crap feeling getting stuff stolen, I have experienced it!

karma will get the bastard/s !!!
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 301827

Reply By: Red Patrol - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 13:22

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 13:22
Hi, sorry to hear of this. Interesting to note that Police at Knox In Melb are having problems with theft of navigation thingies from cars. They recommend taking the unit with you as well as the cradle off the windscreen. If you cannot see the goodies in the car chances are they will not break in. If you had the laptop in clear vision then its almost an invite. Would you leave the laptop in a glass briefcase locked to a parking meter???? If not then surely your car is much the same. Alarm and vigilance are all you can do.
Steve
AnswerID: 301828

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 13:56

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 13:56
Apparently the suction cup 'ring' is a give away too, & they still break in.
FollowupID: 567921

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 13:37

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 13:37
Hi Have you thopught of wiring up an inverter to your bodywork?????
AnswerID: 301829

Reply By: baldman - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 13:46

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 13:46
The easiest way is not to leave items in full view.

It removes the temptation.

For a sedan stop a block away from where you intend to park and put things in the boot and for a station wagon under the seats or a blanket in the footwells.

I used to park at the local railway station and made the mistake of moving things to the boot once I was parked.

It alerted the local hoods that there were things of value in my car.

got back and they were gone.

AnswerID: 301830

Reply By: dedabato (SA) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 16:11

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 16:11
Image Could Not Be Found

Something along these line ?? I'm sorry mate as I know how it feels. Not so long ago similar think happen to my mat in Adelaide.
AnswerID: 301841

Follow Up By: dedabato (SA) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 16:12

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 16:12
I ment to say "Mate"
FollowupID: 567936

Follow Up By: Ranger75 - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 20:11

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 20:11
This is a better option.
Just ensure you keep one in full view inside when the lorry is parked up.[img]
[/img]
FollowupID: 567984

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 16:20

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 16:20
Dollar value of stolen goods probably more than the price of a security system,I know what I'd be doing.
Dave....
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 301843

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 16:21

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 16:21
Agree with everyone else, don't have valuables in sight. Get yourself a flashing red LED and install it in the dash to make it look like you have an alarm.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 301844

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 17:10

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 17:10
Western Society is too soft,nothing more or nothing less...

Let the Chinese fine tune our soft laws (my ass is burning just thinking about it)
AnswerID: 301848

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 19:14

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 19:14
I find the rear _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx that are lockable great for storing laptop, camera gear, and any other valuables. I can imagine that they would be very hard to break into, even if they do get into the car.

Most thieves are opportunistic and grab stuff they can quickly. Hide it from sight at least is the best bet, other than insuring well!

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 301885

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 22:10

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 22:10
Unfortunately now with all the do gooders around alot of this wouldnt happen if you were still able to put your foot fair up there clacker if they were even just looking in the windows but now it will be you in the sh@t if you touch them in the slightest way. I was just talking to my wife about that with the new driving lights Im getting. Spending more then I was going to originally was thinking of Lightforce but they dont have any form of security like the IPF's do but I did say to her that one of the lights would be totally stuffed due to me running there scummy little head write through it if I cought them, without hesitation. It makes my blood boil everytime I hear of some one like yourself getting things stolen or broken due to the low life scum, dogs that seem to be roaming the streets. Yes it has happened to me so know the feeling. Best way as mentioned above is to hide it all or take out of car if not in use. My wife use to leave our statesman at Penrith railway I took the globes out the glovebox and centre console and told her to leave them open through the day so any low life scum looking in would see there was nothing in there. Luckily in a 3 year period it never got touched but others did. And no you cant leave a nice big Rottie in the back cause you will have some one smash the window for the dog and you will be charged for animal cruelty. No one even worrys about alarms any more because you hear so many going off for no reason no one even looks, besides no one would interfere any more due to the laws that would more then likely allow the low life scum/dog to have YOU charged with assult. Sit in the car with a base ball bat ready is about the only way, OH and make sure you have a ball and mitt in the back as Im sure you use it down the fields when playing with your dog thats your reason for it been in the car !!Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 301913

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 22:32

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 22:32
Lightforce but they don't have any form of security like the IPF's do but I did say to her that one of the lights would be totally stuffed due to me running there scummy little head write through it if I cought them

Nah the Lightforce will be fine Stevo,apparently they withstand a scatter gun at close range ! LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 568004

Reply By: curious - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 10:17

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 10:17
Rowan,
Sorry to hear that you've been burgled. The post suggesting locking your valuables in your cargo drawers is a good one. I've done the same. Many of us have laptops, GPS, UHFs etc and even when well hidden, there's still a risk of robbery.

I saw a safety deposit type box at the Sydney camping show: www.hideawaysafe.com.au Cost was $595 plus car kit of $280 so it wasn't cheap. Alternately you could install some sort of steel security box and bolt it to the floor. I've been considering something along those lines. You can buy reasonably cheap safes or safety boxes; finding the room or location to fit it to your 4WD is the challenge.

- Peter
AnswerID: 301955

Sponsored Links