Camping in rest area's

Submitted: Monday, May 05, 2008 at 07:25
ThreadID: 57286 Views:3909 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all
Just planning our trip for latter in the year, and were planning to do an overnight stop in the rest area at Dululu on the Burrnett highway Nth. of Biloela, has anybody stopped there recently or got any comments. Also I see that a lot of small towns allow camping for overnight stops on their show grounds. How do these places generally work, is there a caretaker or do you usually get permision/pay at the local shop. Any help or advise would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks Jon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 07:45

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 07:45
Suggest you get Camps4 book which gives you a listing of all the Aus Camping areas.

Also has a code about what facilities are available, if any charges apply etc.

Basically some showgrounds have an honesty box, some have caretaker who wanders through around dark.

Best to check in town before you camp up as some don't allow camping.
AnswerID: 302073

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 07:47

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 07:47
Buy the book "Camps Australia Wide" The one with photos and this will give you hundreds of free campsites and their GPS locations and pics of most of them.
AnswerID: 302074

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:11

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:11
Regarding road-side rest areas.......

If you want to stay overnight at one and someone (copper or council official) comes along and says "you can't camp here mate", your response can be along the lines of.....

"Are you ordering me to move on?"...... "Because if you are, then I want your name and position/rank AND I want your instruction IN WRITING"......... "The reason I want this from you is because I have just pulled up here after having driven for the last XXX hours; I have a migrane headache and I believe it would be unsafe for me to drive any further today"...... "So, if you are insisting that I drive any further, it will be on your head if I have or cause a traffic accident and if/when I have an accident, it will help my cause if I have your orders in writing".......

They will respond with: "Enjoy your stay; please be gone by 8am tomorrow"..... (or words to that effect).....

Roachie
AnswerID: 302077

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:43

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:43
Or just simply, "Oh, sorry mate. I am totally buggered and can't drive another kilometre. I'll be gone by morning".

And then, "Oh, is it that late already?"
FollowupID: 568120

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:58

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:58
You would want to be sure that your vehicle & camper were 100% RWC & legal before making any smartarse comments.
FollowupID: 568124

Follow Up By: vuduguru - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:08

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:08
Well put, Roachie
FollowupID: 568128

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:11

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:11
Gday Roachie,
Good advice if you really had to use it , but I would try the "Im buggered" avenue first or you might end up with the..."Yes I agree you need to stop for a while, and while your here you can call a tow truck because I dont think your vehicle is road worthy!"

Im not sure about other states, but in the NT the coppers are more likely to praise you for pulling over rather than anoy you.

Cheers
FollowupID: 568129

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:39

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:39
I would reeely hope the coppers have better things to do than harass roadside campers
FollowupID: 568147

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:45

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:45
Not a roadside stop but i popped upm the the Avon Valley NP just for a night in the bush. - Should have checked because the Avon decent was on and sighns stated no camping over the weekend.
well last i checked friday was a weekday so I pulled up up and started necking a few.
Sure enough some guy who i think was one of the descent officials camre over and told me the ranger had asked him to make sure no one camped there.
I looked at the bottles and at him.
He muttred and said if the ranger comes tell him i never saw you and I had a good night in the bush
FollowupID: 568148

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:23

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:23
In 5 years of being on the road full time, we never got chased away from a spot. At some places in Queensland we parked theLC and the 27footer in front of the No Camping sign....hahahaha. Maybe we were just lucky. But we stopped those travels 10 years ago so things may have changed by now.

I worked how just what I would say, as you mentioned, if I was to be accosted by some official, but never got the chance....lol

Some of the roadside stops were a tad noisy while others were great places to stop.

One memorable place was a small reserve off the road past Lake Bookar in Victoria. I saw the sign as we sped by. Then had to turn the rig around and found when we opened the gate to the reserve that it was quite overgrown with grass and other foliage. Undaunted by this I drove down to the lake's edge and had to do a 9 point turn to get the van turned around for an exit the next day. There was no road noise but the ducks honked that much that we were put into a trance by them...or maybe it was the scotch???....lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 568164

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:24

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:24
15 years of camping anywhere I like... including in the suburbs of major cities.

Only asked to move on once by a friendly policeman. Moved 100metres and settled down for the night.

FollowupID: 568194

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 17:21

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 17:21
Guys! It pays to read the signs, then again a second time, then have a good think and interpret what you have read.

"No Camping"
This is, I believe, generally interpreted as setting up a camp site as distinct from parking then sleeping inside a caravan. Virtually impossible to police if you are caravan based. Starts to get a little grey I believe when using a tent trailer and you are under canvas with the floor on the ground.

"No Camping Or Staying Overnight"
This one is a bit different, the "No Camping" bit is pretty well as above because once you have set up camp then it may be said that you are camping. Now the "No Staying Overnight" bit is interesting, it hinges around the word "overnight" which is generally accepted to mean from a period of darkness till sunrise.
For a Council Officer to issue an infringement notice he/she is required to have his/her "proofs". i.e. In this case, the caravan/motor home was in place at darkness, stayed through the period until dawn/sunrise and therefore stayed overnight. However! What if you had pulled up at 02:00am. Is this overnight? Interesting scenario, now the Council Ranger is in a quandary.

An immediate way out here, specially if travelling, might be to set the old alarm clock, jump into the drivers seat in your jim jams and move the rig the necessary distance down the road before sunrise then have a leisurely breakfast. As an alternative you may challenge the Council to prove that you did not just stop the previous evening for a meal then spent the night touring the district and had not long returned to cook breakfast.

A Council Ranger cannot "force" you to pack up and leave, regardless of whether you are "tired and emotional" or not. To do so would open them to all sorts of liabilities, they can however, most certainly issue you with the appropriate infringement notice.

I don't wish to sound like a smart alec, however after having been employed by an "instrumentality" for some twelve years I have met more backyard lawyers talking out of their rear ends than you would believe.

Some Local Government Ordinances are iron tight, it's bloody hard to prove that you are in control of your dog in a public park when the bastard just bleep in someone's picnic box then ate their first born child. It can be quite another for the Ranger to prove a case in another situation.

Government Instrumentalities have all sorts of by-laws and ordinances,some are purely deterents due to the difficulty in acquiring the necessary "proofs" to enable a successful prosecution. You may very well use that to your own advantage.

If you believe that you are in the right then by all means state your case in a polite and couteous mannner, in the way you would wish to be addressed. I have seen any number of situations where someone has loudmouthed themselves into an unnecessary iinfringement notice.

Ian
FollowupID: 568392

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:54

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:54
Dululu is a small one shop town, the "rest area" is not much to rave about and it right near the main intersection. Trucks slowing down to come through the intersection will use exhaust brakes so if this drives you mad all night then pick another spot. It is not a busy road but a few will come past.

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 302086

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 09:54

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 09:54
Camps Australia Wide 4 shows it as having nearly everything including free showers & power - max stay 48 hours. If you don't like it, Silver Wattle Tourist Park at Mt Morgan is OK. As others said, get yourself a copy of CAW.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568126

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 09:35

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 09:35
Here is a guide set by the Qld govt

Guide to Queensland Roads Heavy Vehicle Rest Areas

Other interesting links
AnswerID: 302091

Reply By: obee - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:25

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:25
Last going up the West coast road to the Kimberlys we stopped at some places. The toilets were all over flowing and nauseatingly stinking. People had been doing their business next to where they camped and I trod in some.

Caravan parks were full but we got a camp at most places with our CT. The ablutions were stand and wait to use the toilets and showers in some towns. At North West Cape we had to use the overflow camp on the oval full price and stand in a queue to use the one toilet for about forty people. Then it was move over to the caravan park but having packed the trailer up as we had to, we got out.

The people at the tourist centre resented the overflow campers and were rude and dismissive. They didnt like the extra work I guess.

Owen
AnswerID: 302099

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 11:31

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 11:31
Gday Obee,
You reckon thats bad, come to Alice Springs....I think we have developed a new name.... "The overflow town", the place looks like an overflow camp permanently. Only difference is people dont line up for the toilets and they are'nt overflowing ..infact most people dont use them, and when they do they dont even aim for the bowl (except with rocks of course)....

Cheers
FollowupID: 568141

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 11:53

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 11:53
Eeeeyew !!

I think I'm glad I bought a van with its own toilet and shower.

There's no doubt that there are some disgusting people around.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 568143

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:30

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:30
Plenty of towns across Tassie have overnight or 48hr stops along with dump sites for toilet etc.

You need to be self-contained.

It's a great idea and the towns benifit greatly.

I hate roadside stops... too noisy. It's getting harder, but anywhere you can nose off the track and get a few hundred metres away from the traffic the better.

Sometimes gravel pits etc are not too bad!

Showgrounds are fine and usually have someone walk around overnighters to pick up the small payment and say gday.

Enjoy! Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 302141

Reply By: Member - Jon W (QLD) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:44

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:44
Jon,
Dululu is a major intersection on the most direct route from CQ to Melbourne.
Jambin, just north of Biloela, has a rest area (from memory). There would not be as much heavy through traffic. At Dululu, most heavy trucks are coming from or going to Banana.
For what its worth.
Jon W
AnswerID: 302146

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:13

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:13
happytravelers
The books suggested above are good, and if you have a top brand GPS you can download the Camping POI's for all states .

Camping POI's

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 302185

Sponsored Links