Troopy registration saga

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 09:57
ThreadID: 57322 Views:2946 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
My new 2006 3 seater Troopy was incorrectly registered by Toyota dealer in NSW as an 11 seater bus. Got to WA in time for first registration renewal in 2007. I then discovered the error and tried to correct it with the WA registration dept.

They provided an official WA inspection certificate and a statement to the fact that the vehicle was manufactured as a 3 seater and is a 3 seater; I provided a stat dec and Toyota admitted the mistake by phone and fax to the NSW RTA.

All this cost 3 days in a Kalgoorlie motel. You'd think NSW RTA should accept this and change description of vehicle to match compliance plate.

Wrong - I was given 28 days to get back to NSW and have it inspected by their staff - or the registration would be cancelled.

5 days later and 3000 km the vehicle was inspected in NSW and description changed in 15 minutes.

One year later, RTA NSW has part paid the expenses to the tune of $2700 (less my legal fees)

Toyota dealer finally coughed up too - but they were harder to deal with - and eventaully wanted me to sign that their compensation payment was an act of grace! It had to dragged out of them - one of the largest in Sydney.

Finally the saga is over - thought you'd like to hear

Cheers
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:19

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:19
For interest sake- what is it registered as now??
Mine is a PVW (Panel Van with Windows)- in NSW..
We only have two front seats.

AnswerID: 302310

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 18:28

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 18:28
HI Signman,

Mines a "PVF" - no idea what that means. Seems NSW RTA has some other minor 'issues'

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 568409

Reply By: Garbutt - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:53

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:53
We recently bought a Mazda 6 over the border, the dealer there arranged the rego through the SA rego office, but incorrectly listed it as a 6 cylinder, its a 4 cylinder despite the name. We pointed this out to the SA rego people when we got all the papers, they promptly changed the certificate and refunded us the diff in rego fees, about $70 I think. Much easier to deal with.
AnswerID: 302315

Reply By: Member - Jon H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:59

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:59
Typical of the beaurocratic bull bleep we must deal with due to non alignment of any of the States laws. Get rid of the States and have one federal government with one rule for everyone I say.
AnswerID: 302316

Follow Up By: davida - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 14:22

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 14:22
I couldn't agree more! Given our relatively small popualtion, why do we need three levels of government?Abolish the states altogether.
FollowupID: 568363

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 19:29

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 19:29
You have my vote..................
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568430

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:42

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:42
So long as it involves secession for WA !!!
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 568494

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 15:21

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 15:21
Might have been better to let NSW rego be cancelled and start again in WA.
Certainly are up them selves in these departments.
Bought a second hand truck a couple of years ago and went to register it and found they hadnt completed the paperwork of an earlier inspection to change engine no.
Think that didnt take some sorting out, and guess who paid for all the inspections etc that again took place after their stuff up.
You live and learn, next time i buy any s/h vehicle it will be registered before i take delivery.
Oh and looks like I better check the seating too !!! LOL

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 302333

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 18:33

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 18:33
HI Pesty,

Yep, you're on the same thinking as the very help people at WA regn dept. We started down that track only to discover that NRMA insurance would also have to change.

In fact NRMA was more than a little concerned that we were planning to be in WA for 6 or more months - 'should we not be getting local insurance??'

Decided to give it a miss, go home and start again.

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 568412

Reply By: Member - Lewis K (QLD) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 15:56

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 15:56
Had the same issue myself except that Toyota in Perth did not bother with the number of seats on the compliance plate. It was ok when we shifted to Sydney. No one even suggested that we had a problem. Moved to Queensland and they transfered the license without issue but come the first inspection for renewal of Qld rego and they refused until I had an eng inspect the vehicle. Cost me an arm and half a leg and three days of messing around.

Bout time we had one police force, one school system, one hospital system - well why not get rid of state govt.

Well I can dream
AnswerID: 302338

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 00:09

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 00:09
Am I misunderstanding something here, How often do you guys over on the Eastern Seaboard have to have your vehicles inspected???????
From the few threads that I have read my understanding is that you need to have them inspected on a regular basis like when you registration is due, & is that annually?????????????

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568473

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 08:42

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 08:42
My, possibly faulted, understanding is that heavy 4wds like troopy must have annual inspection regardless of age. For lighter 4wds like Prado, no inspection for first three years. Don't know the cut off point.

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 568489

Follow Up By: Member - Jon H (QLD) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 17:29

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 17:29
In Queensland, we only need an inspection certificate if we change owners or state of residence or re-registering vehicle after having registration cancelled.
One can own a car here for fifty years and will never need to have an inspection done as long as we don't go near the Transport Department.
Re the State rules issue, do they have this problem in the USA - they have a lot more States??
FollowupID: 568588

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 23:08

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 23:08
Hi Chris & Jon, thanks for that info, over here in WA we only have to take the vehicle back for inspection if the rego runs out or if the cops slap a sticker on your vehicle after finding fault with it. Hope it stays that way.

We also have some dob-in system that if you see a car smoking badly (pollution) there is a number to call and the car will (supposedly) be checked out, not sure how this works but I have noticed that most of the old bombs that use to be prevalent on our roads are no more.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568694

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:41

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:41
Come to Vic D, here you can drive any old POS until it dies under your feet, no annual roadworthys or inspections. Massive amount of unroadworthy crappers on the roads, nice and safe, just dont do more than 3 ks over the limit or you have to smile for the camera. New eastlink toll road has 22 new cameras $$$$
FollowupID: 568923

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 00:53

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 00:53
Hi Bradley, we have a lee-way of about 8ks before we have to smile, it use to be ten and then it was eight and next it will be???

I must admit there are still a lot of old cars on the roads over here but have certainly thined out since the "dob in line" was opened up a few years ago.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568936

Sponsored Links