GPS Tuner for Windows Mobile Devices , PDA's etc

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:15
ThreadID: 57325 Views:4371 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, Just started playing with GPS Tuner 5.4 , wondering if anyone else has used or is using this. It is a very neat and powerful little GPS Navigating Software for Offroad, Hiking, Boating and general navigation. Works with Google Maps, Satellite, terra toppo etc etc or custom maps you can create your own. $39 is great value.

www.gpstuner.com

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 14:03

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 14:03
Looks to be a neat and cheap solution.

The benchmark mapping software is OziExplorer and Trackranger is another product which I have not "played" with.

If GPS Tuner does even some of the things Ozi does then it may suit many people that just require basic navigation.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 302317

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:01

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:01
Looks to have some features that Oziexplorer doesn't have, quite a few actually. I note Oziexplorer is planning on introducing a new version with some of the features that GPS Tuner has now. I know Oziexplorer is what people are using so will stay tuned for their new version.
FollowupID: 568367

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 13:56

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 13:56
Hello TerraFirma - New "release' version of OziexploreCe was made avialble on 30th April 08. I would be interested to know what features GPS Tuner has that this new version of OziexplorerCe doesnt - please list. Also you need to take into account the functions of the PC version as well when doing an assessment of what program maybe "best" for ones needs. I use the Ce version of OziExplorer for data capture and then the PC version for data management and manipulation. Is there a PC version of GPS tuner?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 568526

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 14:26

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 14:26
GPS Tuner is a Pocket PC product or Windows Mobile product, not designed for PC use as such. It is extremely well laid out and offers a myriad of features that I don't see on Oziexplorer and I am not criticising OE as I don't know OE that well. The data capture , route and trip computer function is comprehensive on GPSTuner. I have been able to load my own maps by using the capture and calibrator products free with GPS Tuner, it also supports Google Maps, Satellite, Terraserver etc etc, the list goes on. It has a very nice set of digital navigating compasses that include features such as ETA, ETE, Route Navigation with Voice instructions etc etc. You can draw your own Routes and Distances on the maps also. Altitudes, Speed, 0-100KMh, Acceleration rates, Decelaration Rates, the list goes on. I think the best way for anyone to get an idea is to install it, it is free for 2 weeks to try. I am in my 2nd day with the product and am doing my own marine maps etc, very easy.

www.gpstuner.com

P.S. I am not promoting the product was wanting to find out if anyone else was using it.
FollowupID: 568531

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 14:30

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 14:30
GPS Tuner is an off-road navigation software for Pocket PC devices. While most car navigation software gives you the possibility of planning your route based on a road network, GPS Tuner gives you the ability of navigation where the roads end. GPS Tuner is an excellent tool for hiking, geocaching, boating, flying, driving and many other sporting activities.

What's New

Apr 28th, 2008
GPS Tuner v5.4 and Map Calibrator v2.5
Today we have released new version of GPS Tuner and Map Calibrator with Suunto X9i support. Changelog

Nov 19th, 2007
Winner of Best Software Awards 2007
GPS Tuner is the Winner of the Best Software Awards 2007 in Moving Map category. The contest has been organized by Pocket PC Magazin. Two finalists were Google Maps Mobile and Live Search for Mobile from Microsoft.
All news

Map Calibrator

Desktop Map Calibration
If you would like to calibrate maps on your desktop PC, use free Map Calibrator program. Map Calibrator is also useful to create map slices from a huge bitmap image file. You can convert GIF, BMP and PNG files into JPG file to use it in GPS Tuner as well.

Map Calibrator can open and save waypoint, track, route and area files also and supports National Map Grids (as GPS Tuner does).

You can download calibrated maps (Google, TerraServer) from internet into Map Calibrator directly and save them to use on your PDA. It is just one click!

Requirements

Pocket PC

Windows Mobile 5 or Windows Mobile 6

16 MB free program memory

GPS Receiver (NMEA compatible)
Google Maps / Earth
GPS Tuner is compatible with free Google Maps / Earth application. You can read the details here.
Click here!

FollowupID: 568532

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 14:55

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 14:55
No worries - sounds very similar to OziexplorerCe - looks like it has some features Ozi doesnt and visa versa. For me the most significant benefit of using OziCe is the ability to customise pages to suit your specific needs and the associated PC version which has functions GPStuner/Map calibrator doesnt, but horses for courses.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 568542

Sponsored Links