Qld Channel Country Tips, Pls

Submitted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 16:54
ThreadID: 57361 Views:3611 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all:

Wife and I are going to have a look around the Channel Country in Qld starting off next week from Newcastle. Have had a good look around the 'Net and have an idea of what to see.

However I'd be interested in hearing any advice, tips, warnings etc from those that have done the trip themselves.

We will be meeting up with friends at Auburn River Nat Park before heading over to Carnarvon Gorge where we split up and we start the southward trek back home.

We have no problems with time.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jon W (QLD) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 17:17

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 17:17
Jack,
How far north & west are you looking at?
What do you consider as the Channel Country?
Longreach, Winton, Lark Quarry, Windorah, the Dig Tree and Cameron Corner are worth a visit.
High clearance is the go with those roads in the dry. Watch out for roadtrains (some with three trailers).
For what its worth.
Jon W
AnswerID: 302518

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 18:14

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 18:14
Hi Jon.

Thanks for that. The places you mentioned are on the itineray apart from Cameron Corner/Dig Tree, as we have already been there. Our interest is to see the areas covered (in part) by Burke and Wills as well as part of the Kidman "empire".

Vehicle will be fine - 80 Series diesel, 50mm lift. It's done two trips around Oz and is bomb-proof. Not towing anything and have pared our "essentials" back to the bone.

Happy to get out fo the way of the road trains, too. There's no rush.

Appreciate your advice.

Jack

FollowupID: 568599

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 19:00

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 19:00
Stop at the pub at Windorah and have a meal. Biggest steak you'll see :)) There's fairly cheap cabins in Windorah if you need somewhere to stay.
Check out the local tourist trail down by the Cioopers Creek, and have a yarn with the publican and possiblt the local copper. Both nice people.
If fuelling up there, you might be lucky enough to be served by a blind fella, so go easy on him when he asks how much fuel you put in :))
If buying diesel in Quilpie, don't do it on a weekend as they close at 12.30 Sat and dont re open again till Monday.
Oh and stay out of the Channel country if there's been a lot of rain.
AnswerID: 302540

Follow Up By: Member - John R (QLD) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:17

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:17
Hi Footloose
Has that early closing time in Quilpie recently come in? Last year we got petrol at the servo around 6pm on a Saturday.
Cheers, John
FollowupID: 568639

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:44

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:44
Hi John, I forgot to mention that it's the DIESEL depot that closes. The servo doesn't sell diesel.
FollowupID: 568648

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 08:50

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 08:50
Hi Footloose
Agree Windorah comments, for a visitor from over the ditch enjjoyed the trail near Coopers, sure helped to identify the vegetation that I had been driving past, Info centre well worth a visit, very helpfull.
I stopped at Eromanga to top up diesel around 10.am on Sat morning ,Pump was on but couldn't find any body about to pay so drove on to Quilpie to find I was too late to get diesel. Spent rest of day and night in Camp Ground can recommend, camp oven dinner and entertainment.
5th in line to get diesel in morning.
All part of the fun.
FollowupID: 568722

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 14:45

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 14:45
The cheapest diesel around there is at Eromanga (so I am told.) They produce it for Mt Isa Mines.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568799

Reply By: furph - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:12

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:12
If you are travelling Winton to Windorah there is good camping and fishing at "rocky crossing" where the Mayne river crosses the road. You will recognise it when you come to it.
If going down to Thargomindah, turn off the Quilpie road at Thylungra and go across to the Kyabra waterholes, top camp spot with a huge water area, bird life, fishing etc. Continue on this road to Eromanga for a beer at the Royal Hotel then on to the Thargo. rd.
At Noccundra, more good camping and fishing on the Wilson river.
If going through Quilpie, Lake Houdraman on the eastern side of town is another top camp spot. All the channels around the area abound with yabbies, dont forget your opera house nets!
The 2 supermarkets in Quilpie are very reasonably priced with specials every week. The butcher is the best in W.Qld.!
We will be in the area from next week, but opal mining.
As mentioned, keep a good lookout for road trains and triple tankers. Those roads are quite narrow and the truckies on a tight schedule. They appreciate you pulling over, stopping if needed. Always a clue to look at the wind direction and pull off on the upwind side of the road. The amount of dust those triples carry along is incredible.
furph
AnswerID: 302635

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 12:26

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 12:26
Ah ... yabbies ... that's not something one finds in the research. Thanks heaps for that handy tip, as well as the others you posted.

Jack

FollowupID: 568771

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 19:47

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 19:47
A question please Furph,( just high jack your thread Jack for a minute) could you give me a run down on the road from Thylungra thru Kyabra to Eromanga please. Would not mind checking this place out on our way to Innamincka. Thanks

Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 568876

Follow Up By: furph - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 07:41

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 07:41
Bruce.
Quilpie shire have been working on that road for some years now.
We go up from Eromanga 30km. which is now nearly all bitumen.
The last time we were at the other end work was about to begin there also (3yrs. ago)
Its about 100km. T to E, Kyabra about 1/2 way.
If it rains, the road adjacent to Kyabra gets a bit juicy, but will not stop you.
It is well maintained, I regard it as an "all vehicle" one.
furph
FollowupID: 568946

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:03

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:03
thanks for that furph,

Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 568956

Reply By: brushmarx - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:59

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:59
Hi Jack
I think talk back radio and news in Brissie yesterday had quite a bit about closures in the Carnarvon area to cull 4000 to 6000 brumbies by gunmen in a chopper. This could take a bit of time, so if you haven't looked into area closures for this horse annihilation, it may be worth your time.
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 302644

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 16:22

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 16:22
Seems that is correct. On the website they say there are parts closed until June 2 for "maintenance" or something similar.

We can check it out again when we get there.

Thanks.

Jack

FollowupID: 568823

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 12:28

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 12:28
thanks. Obviously have not heard anything about it this far south, but will enquire before we leave just to make sure. Fortunately we have no time constraints, but being stuck somewhere you don't want to be stuck can be a pain.

Jack

AnswerID: 302672

Reply By: Innkeepers - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 13:50

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 13:50
G'Day Jack,
We love the Channel Country...make sure you see and camp at Currawinya Nat Park on the Paroo River just North of Hungerford on the Border....the waterholes are many and filled with wildlife and birds. Currawinya is home of the 2 huge lakes that sit side by side...Lake Wyara and Lake Numalla...one is fresh and the other is salt.

We did 3 weeks in the Channel Country last year in September and have about 8 pages of pics and story on our web siyte if you're interested.

www.nomadznow.com

Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 302683

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 15:45

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 15:45
Currawinya is also the park with the bilby recovery programme. There is a large area enclosed with a vermin proof fence where they have released a population of bilbies.

Currawinya link

If you are stopping in Charleville the national parks people have talks on the project at night time (or they did a few years ago.)
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568808

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 15:53

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 15:53
A few useful links for you, I have collected these as I will be following behind you by a few weeks. I have not included one for Quilpie as theirs has been off the air for a few weeks.

http://www.barcoo.qld.gov.au/

Diamantina Attractions

Site Link

http://www.lakeeyrebasin.org.au/links.html

Lake Eyre Yacht Club

http://www.paroo.info/Home.aspx

http://www.kilcowera.com.au/index.htm

http://www.windorah.net/

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 302699

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 16:26

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 16:26
That is proving to be most useful. Thanks for the time to post all those links.

If you are following behind by a few weeks, don't be surprised if you catch us up. We are in no hurry and usually stay in a place until we have seen what needs to be seen before moving on.

We're in a grey 80 series Landcruiser with an Ozpod on the roof. Looks like the space shuttle.

Appreciate the links.

jack

FollowupID: 568826

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:48

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:48
I will be in a Nissan Navara towing a Spaceland pop-top. We will be going up the coast and not heading inland until after the June long weekend, then it will be full steam to Eulo where we slow down. I intend to travel from Eulo via Currawinya and Kilcowera.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568853

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 07:08

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 07:08
I am grateful for all the replies on this thread. It certainly supplements the material I have already put together, and am certain it will be a terrific trip.

Thanks to all for your helpful responses.

Travel safely!!

Jack

AnswerID: 302996

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 14:01

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 14:01
Jack,

On top of all the other suggestions you've had, these are few others, some just being a point of interest along the way.

JC Hotel ruins, west of Windorah;
Mt Henderson (hole in the hill) W of Windorah.
Lake Machattie By-pass road. North of Birdsville, good change from the straight road up to Bedourie. Doubt if there would be much, or any water in the lake, due to dry season this year.
Waddi trees, south of Boulia. Wood of these trees is as hard as.....
Diamantina Lakes NP.
Mayne Pub
Cawnpore Hills lookout, between Boulia & Winton.
Min Min Pub ruins
Middleton Pub
Old Cork waterhole & Old Cork Ruins
Lark Quarry
Waltzing Matilda Centre & Museum, & Corfield & Fitzmaqurice Store & display, in Winton.
Bladensburg NP
Road up through Coorabulka(wide open spaces-guaranteed!!!), from Bedourie. thence to Boulia, or Springvale & Diamantina Lakes.
Fair bit to see around Boulia, Stone House, Old Police Barracks & Min Min Centre
Hamilton Pub ruins, east of Boulia.

Those few ought to keep you going for a while, Jack. Oh, and don't forget to stop @ Tatt's hotel in Winton, for a feed. cold beer, and with the tables outside, you can relax and watch the worrld go by.

Safe trip,
Hooroo,
Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303048

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 16:30

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 16:30
Thanks Bob ... added those to the list!!

At this rate I could be gone for years!!!!! Not such a bad thought.

Jack

FollowupID: 569222

Sponsored Links