Darling River Run

Hi there,

We are planning to do this trip in September school holidays and are in the planning stages just now. I have searched the archives and got lots of useful information, but wondered if we could get some advice about road conditions.

We are travelling in a 4wd with camper trailer, but have friends who may be joining us, who would be travelling in a 2wd sedan with CT.

Do you think this is possible for a 2wd - obviously taking wet weather out of the equation, we've read all the warnings about the roads in the wet.

We would be travelling up from Wentworth, through Menindee, Wilcannia, Louth, Bourke and then down through Dubbo.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:16

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:16
You could start here at EO Link

Followed by RTA Link

Good luck
AnswerID: 302636

Reply By: gbdid - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:34

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:34
Then again you could try this link.
We did the trip just before easter this year from Brewarina to Willcannia, We took the western side road, which is barely 2 wheel tracks in some places, lots of cattle grids to go over some pretty rough, but otherwise a good trip and the road was really quite smooth with few corrugations. We crossed from east to west at Louth, then over at Tilpa to camp at the tilpa weir, then back over to the west side again down to Willcannia.So long as its dry its a very good run.
Site Link
AnswerID: 302640

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 10:20

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 10:20
Yep, it is 2wd friendly from Brewarrina to Wentworth

Cheers
AnswerID: 302649

Reply By: Scoof - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 11:08

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 11:08
Magic ,
We did the same trip at same time as you are planned to go and yes I would say 2wd friendly.
There are some great old Pubs along the way.

The road was a bit rough in spots but still fine for 2wd.Some of the roads were well mantained.

There was 4 families all up all towing campers , I got a flat tyre on the camper (piece fencing wire through the tread) and one of our gang blow a tyre on the back right it looked like a sharp rock went through side wall.
It was a fantastic trip if you need info about were to camp ask at the old pubs that's how we got some top spots to camp only the locals would know.

Cheers Scoof . :-)
AnswerID: 302658

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 13:22

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 13:22
Another good site is http://www.darlingriverrun.com.au/

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 302677

Reply By: Bushtrek - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:21

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:21
Recommend you stay on the Western side of the river after leaving Menindee up to Wilcannia. Was down there last month and the east side track is about the worst corrugated road I have been on in the last 2 years.
The track is very drivable and there were a few CT's and Caravans some with 2 wheelers towing, along the way. In fact it appears to be fairly busy along the River at the moment.
AnswerID: 302782

Sponsored Links