caravan toilet servicing

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:54
ThreadID: 57538 Views:4765 Replies:11 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
G'day
Anyone can help with information regarding correct procedure / etiquette for toilet waste disposal ??? Dont mean opening door and removing cassette......what I need to know is where do I go from here ??? I've heard about authorised "dumps" etc' but where are they and how common are they. We are planning a trip in next 6 weeks from Melb' to Broome and would sure appreciate any info' on this subject.Just like to keep it off the fan.

Thankyou

jimmac
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, May 12, 2008 at 18:05

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 18:05
All van parks will have facilities.

Many towns now have dumps to dispose of, with a hose to wash out. Often have an overnight stop available.

Etiquette is certainly not to dump in the bush.. but sometimes it's a matter of desparation if you are way outback... so it's back to the shovel and careful to keep away from any watercourses etc.

DON'T use your household toilet or otherwise your wife will go absolutely OFF HER HEAD [ I know... I've been there].

But you can use my outdoor dunny at Rosedale behind the laundromat if you find me there....

I mean .... does a dunny stink if nobody is there to sniff?

Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 303457

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 18:14

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 18:14
Howdy Royce, We have only recently aquired a van with a thunder box & so far have only had to empty it once in a designated "dump" spot. Phewww!! the smell, flies & other things surrounding the area make the task a very definate for my wife next time!!
Your comment ref. towns having a dump spot, hose etc. Are you referring to areas other than caravan parks? Thanks
FollowupID: 569562

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:18

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:18
This is becoming more common, particularly in smaller towns that want you to stop over [and spend] in the town. Lots of Tassie towns have it now and I've spotted a few in my travels on the big island.

They are hard to find. Keep your eyes open for the van with a dump sign. Go to the Tourist information centres and ask...
FollowupID: 569585

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 18:34

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 18:34
We are changing over to Bio Magic so we can dispose of with confidence that it is environmentally friendly. We prefer to use the long drops along the way or whatever as a preference to using the caravan toilet.

Camps Australia Wide has a listing of dump points, but there are more. Watch for the signage of a motor home with an arrow pointing down wards from under it.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 303462

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:16

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:16
jimmac
Simple answer is ...Don't use it...unless of course your a disabled person , get some exercise and walk to the Caravan Pk amenities block, Iv'e lived in my Van for 4 years and never had the need for an in van dunny,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 303471

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:21

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:21
It's a bit sad if you only see the inside of a caravan park in your travels..

They have always been my last resort for a stop over....
FollowupID: 569587

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:54

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:54
Royce
You have not the faintest idea where I've been and how long I been doing it, would take me all night and most of tomorrow typing it out , but still don't need an in van dunny , The van is set stationary now and for some time in the future but when travelling with or without one can manage without the luxuries of houses.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 569598

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:15

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:15
Come on Doug!! The guy simply asked where to dump his waste, he didnt ask if he needed the toilet. I noticed you have about 3 tonne of gear, what if people started telling you what you dont need? I think the object of the forum is lost on some. The bloke just wants an answer to the question he asked. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 569605

Follow Up By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:31

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:31
You beat me to it Michael.

Come on guys, this forum is for genuine people trying to find out first hand what and how to do things. I for one do not want to post enquiries only to be shot down.

Lighten up people. As Michael rightly posted, the question was where and etiquette about disposing of waste. Not do I need to use a toilet. Royce was merely providing a response and generously offered his facility as well only to be shot down.

Come on. Lets get back to what this forum is all about. Like-minded people sharing ideas and thoughts.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 569608

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 00:04

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 00:04
Woops.
Looks as though you didn't follow what I was saying Doug. It wasn't personal.
I was actually pointing out that having a toilet in your van or vehicle allows an Oz Explorer to NOT to stop at a caravan park.

When I said that it was a bit sad if "you" only see the inside of a caravan park.....

I didn't me YOU! "You" means "me, you... all of us" It's a standard way of expressing things, but I think you thought I was having a go at you.... Sorry about that...

Cheers Royce
FollowupID: 569626

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:20

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:20
Michael
No damn come on's about it, he got his answers from others , Im just conveying my thoughts and ideas, I am permitted to do that ...am I not ,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 303491

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:52

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:52
I think I am with Doug on this one.
We are taking off soon with a new KK with toilet and shower, but I reckon I will still walk to the amenity block unless it is pouring with rain.
It's there you compare notes on how far it is etc.( no not how long it is!)
FollowupID: 569614

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 22:49

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 22:49
No one cares if you use your toilet or not Mal, the guy merely wanted to know where to disgard his waste. How hard is that?
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 569624

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 00:08

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 00:08
And..... I'm totally with Doug too. Who would be dumb enough to use up the little inside toilet if you have paid for the use of another that doesn't need emptying at the gate?

But of course I don't use caravan parks much...
FollowupID: 569627

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 07:56

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 07:56
I think you have all missed the point. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 569639

Follow Up By: Paul Grabonski. Vic - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:34

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:34
Those without toilets on board are the filthy people that leave crap and toilet paper daises all round the country side. Toilets fixed or portable style should be made law for all forms of camping.
FollowupID: 569666

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 16:34

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 16:34
But sadly Paul.... even the on board toilets can be dumped in the wrong place.
FollowupID: 569734

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 07:13

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 07:13
Paul Grabonski
CRAP.....excuse the pun ,You said all forms of camping, so your saying if a family goes camping in a Pajero or the likes they must have the portable dunny sitting on the back seat between the kids...don't be so bloody stupid.
Exactly as Royce said, they dump in wrong places , I saw a tourist dump at the Gascoyne River (Middle Branch) rest area last year ,
A few little turds is better than a bloody big bucket full , besides like animal droppings after a short time it dissapears back into the earth from whence it came from, as does the paper, Don't get me wrong , I don't like to see crap paper floating around parking bays but how do you get people to be responsible , The worst thing in my opinion is the disposable napkins....just dumped ...near a bin .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 569976

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:44

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:44
The below is a link to dump points throughout Queensland. Not much help for between Melbourne & Broome though!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.stephenrobertsonmp.com/_dbase_upl/gqr_caravans.pdfl
AnswerID: 303495

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 01:08

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 01:08
The important thing is to know what type of chemicals you are using because that determines where you can dump the contents.

Bio Magic and Thetford Green can be dumped in a septic tank. Others cannot because they destroy the bacteria that makes septic tanks work. And they will STINK. They also have an effective dosage of only 3 or 4 days even if the tank is not full.

I have swapped over to Bio Magic. We only use the van dunny for number 2s when absolutely necessary. I'm still getting used to Bio Magic and may change to Thetford Green later on. I'll use up all the BM first to see if it improves its deodorant capabilities.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 303514

Follow Up By: Paul Grabonski. Vic - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:31

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:31
Thetford Blue is now environmental as well and received full environmental certification.
Biomagic is expensive crap and not good at doing its job. Need to use 2x recommended. Website is full of right hype but product is not good compared to competitors. Coles Nappiclean contains same chemical and active ingrediant as Biomagic and costs a few cents per dose compared to BM.

If you add little Cousins Morning Fresh detergent to top flushing tank improves cleaning and slipability of pan.
FollowupID: 569665

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:36

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:36
Slipability.

I have experienced a lack of this essential feature on a couple of occasions.

Not nice.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 569667

Reply By: Member - beachbum - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:00

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:00
Jimmac if you obtain a copy of Camps Aust Wide it lists the majority of dump points along with all the camp sites etc. BTW when it is dark cold and wet or in a remote camp site we happily use our indoor facility. If in a van park we use theirs. Some of these replies make you have a need to use one straight away
Regards beachbum
AnswerID: 303548

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:22

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:22
I agree Beachy, you ole bum, you.

My wife and I are getting too old to go and squat in the bush so if needs dictate we use the van dunny.

We try to bush camp wherever possible but use parks now and then.

Emptying the cannister is not the most pleasant experience so, like you say, if someone else's dunny is available we'll use that.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 569662

Follow Up By: Paul Grabonski. Vic - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:39

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:39
We try to bush camp wherever possible and would rather have onboard toilet than shower.
Emptying the canister depends on what toilet chemical you use and how often you change it. Have found after years of testing the Thetford Blue is the winner. In summer 4 days max and in winter 5 days max. If parked up for few days open door pull out canister and give a good swish so chemical and contents mix which makes a big difference in break down. Other mistake people make is not put in 2 or 3L water when they put the chemical in as it says in the instructions.
FollowupID: 569668

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 14:19

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 14:19
Hi All

We have a Dunny & Shower in our van, we use the Thelford Green
Chemical, its handy for the Cook in the night time, otherwise we
will use the out doors amenities or the van parks amenities,
as far as emptying the cassette, we try to use a dump point, or if not
available I will get permission to use a toilet to dump the contents,
being an old plumber, the smell dose not worry me.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 303577

Reply By: deserter - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 14:46

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 14:46
I just go to the Tourist Info when I reach town to find out where the public one is. Simple.
AnswerID: 303580

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 16:55

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 16:55
We use Bio Magic or Bio degradable chemicals.
When we need to mt the porta pottie I go to a dump point if one is available or ask permission if in a van park but mostly in van parks use their toilets and if out in the bush which is where we spend most of our time I dig a deep hole and bury the waste. Keeping away from water courses etc.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 303608

Reply By: jimmac - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 17:06

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 17:06
G'day again from jimmac
Just like to thank everyone who responded with info' to my question regarding toilet dumping etiquette...inc' Royce & Doug & co. All input was greatly appreciated and was accepted in the generous and humorous manner in which it was intended.I am much better informed now. Again thank you to all....................
..............Only one thing worries me now....If I use one of those so called "Long Drops" what are the chances of" IT" attaining Terminal Velocity on the way down...or worse still accelerating beyond the Speed Of Sound thereby creating a Sonic Boom close to the bottom..........adds a new meaning to "Thunder Box"....
hate to contemplate what might happen. And I was just trying to keep it off the fan.

Cheers Guys
jimmac
AnswerID: 303613

Sponsored Links