OZ topo V2

Submitted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 17:52
ThreadID: 57575 Views:2777 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I recently purchased a Garmin 260W and also the OZ topo V2 software, which I have loaded to my PC. I have done something not correct because the contours do not overlay the roads, which I understood would happen.There are 2 separate files, roads and contours.
Can someone help please?
Also I am disappointed with OZ topo because it does not show any tracks in area around and in the Deua National Park in Southern NSW. The Merricumbene Fire Trail is a prominent trail and not shown along with others. Also there are many tracks just to the north of the Araluen/Moruya road that are not shown, e.g. Yellow Flower Road. I am not too keen on the detail on some of the areas in the Victoria High Country as well. The settings are set to a map scale of 1.5km and detail setting at the highest.
What annoys me is that Google maps shows all these tracks/trails and names them.
Before I download Shonkey Map application and see what that is like, does anyone with Shonkey maps know whether the coverage in the Deua area and in general is better than OZ topo V2?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 19:06

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 19:06
Hello - Re: contours - read the instructions that came with OzTopoV2. You have to install an additional mapset to get contours and roads together.

Pass your disappointment onto GPSOZ - some tracks have been left off by mistake in other areas. Generally speaking Shonkey is unlikely to have the tracks at the scale that you speak of but I am not familar with the specifc area/tracks so could be wrong .

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 303640

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 09:57

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 09:57
Gidday Greg,
From your many replies on the subject of mapping you seem to have a great deal of knowledge. I watched a demo the other day at "The Electric Bug" retailer of the Nuvi 760. It had Mapsource City Navigator and Contours maps, plus T4A. I was quite impressed with the T4A add-ins around SA so I joined their group. What do you think of the concept? It is certainly cheap compared with the commercial options!

As far as David B's problem goes, I recall that the Nuvi demonstrator had to disable some of the available maps to demonstrate T4A, perhaps the same applies for OzTopo?

Kingo
FollowupID: 569856

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 10:32

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 10:32
Hello - my many replies related to mapping are more an indication of my interest in maps than any great knowledge. A lot of my responses are simply quotes form other erudite map people..but anyway back to subject. T4A is good concept - I am not sure how it is traveling at the moment as it is a big task gathering track info from many people and then editing and creating usable maps. When was the last updated mapset made available?. Other people are doing a similar thing, arguably in a better fashion

read about it here

Garmin OpenStreet Maps Download

RE: OztopoV2 - yes when you have it loaded onto the gps you must ensure other map sets are turn off as it is over ridden by mapsets such as City Navigator. This however will not solve problem in initial post as it related to displaying maps on the PC not the GPS.

Contours will display over the top of the roads when loaded on the GPS as they are a transparent layer. It is however not possible to display the oztopo contours over the top of oztopo roads on Mapsource on the PC. As I mentioned to solve this problem they have supplied an additional maps set that has the roads and contours combined. You have to install this separately to the standard install. It is recommended that you do not upload this map set to the GPS as it will cause issues relating to memory usage.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 569862

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (VIC) - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 07:30

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 07:30
Hi David
There is an updated version2 of OzToppo with some corrections to missing tracks, due out in a month, according to GPSOZ yesterday, but they told me the same six weeks ago !!!!!!
Regards
Neil
AnswerID: 303703

Sponsored Links