Two Spares

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 21:27
ThreadID: 5768 Views:1648 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Heading off in 2Weeks from Ballarat up the guts to Dawin and back via west coast and GRR. Don't want to take 2 Spare wheels but am looking at fix it on the run punctures. What are peoples thoughts on 'on the road repairs' and methods of doing so. Tyre Pliers or R&R Beadbreaker systems have been looked at . What do people suggest.
Look forward to replies
Cheers OZnNZ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 21:35
oznnz,,

I'd suggest you are going to end up repairing tyre/s in the most uncomfortable, inconvenient, place imaginable. Or maybe you'll get lucky, and not have a flat, but you will be covering a lot of clicks, over tyre destroying roads.

You'll need a good compressor too. Might put a dampener on the big trip. S'pose space/weight are a problem? Have a good one, Hooroo...

AnswerID: 24000

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 21:44

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 21:44
One of the puncture plugging kits for use with tubeless tyres will get you out of most trouble, provided you identify the deflating tyre before it self immolates. Smart tire is the electronic system that monitors tyre pressures and temperatures. Plug kit $115, compressor from $30 to $450, smart tire is several hundred. Extra wheel is always a good investment.
AnswerID: 24001

Reply By: Borgy - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 21:56

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 21:56
oznnz
We did the grr about 6 wks ago, i was under the impression that no matter what i would have at least 2-3 punctures. Actually met a fella in Broome who was quite proud of the fact that he had actually stuffed up 3 tyres,Not punctured ...stuffed.......any way off we went , took it reasonably easy , most of the time about 80kph, well we didnt get one puncture, i might add that i ran my tyres at 38psi," Hankook Dynamic AT" we did come across a few other people who had punctures, but i might add that they had passed us earlier at a speed i estimate to be at least 100- 120 kph ,and they were running a lot higher tyre pressures, one guy was running 48psi.
Any way mate i wish you all the best on whatever you decide to do , and hope this bit of info might help you ........Cheers and happy tavelling
Dave
AnswerID: 24003

Reply By: mrdesmo - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:54

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:54
Hi oznnz
We Have an R&R beadbreaker that even the wife can use...no straining with pliers/levers etc, the kit comes with puncture repair kit for tube (patches) and tubeless (plugs). On our last decent trip we took 2 spares as well as 2 tubes, if your side wall is torn no amount of patches/plugs will get you out of trouble if the tear is big enough. You can at least put a tube in, although this is only to get you to the nearest town at lower speeds for a replacement. The rough texture inside the carcass of a tubeless tyre will eventually damage the tube, but at least it will get you out of trouble.
Also, invest in a decent air compressor, we got the ARB with three outlets, one for an air hose, the other two for the lockers I dream of owning one day!
Whatever you end up buying...PRACTICE before you go...preferably on an old tyre and rim, its very easy to destroy the bead on a perfectly good tyre if you don't know what your doing...then you'll definately wish you took that second spare!!Cheers
AnswerID: 24020

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 09:42

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 09:42
oznnz

I took two spare wheels/tyres with me when i went out to Innamincka last year. Luckily I didn't get a puncture at all. But its certainly a time saver being able to just swap a wheel and keep moving, especially if its late in the arvo and light is fading. Also gives you the chance to patch/plug the damaged tyre over a beer or 4 when you get into camp and are not in as much of a rush. The suggestion of taking 2 inner tubes is also good. So if you can afford the space for the two spares, I would recommend it. Enjoy your trip!

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 24023

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 09:50

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 09:50
Oznnz, unless space/weight is a really critical factor for you, take the second spare, and some tubes. Not only can you destroy a tyre but, if its bad enough, you can destroy a rim too (been there, done that). If you only take one, and that happens, you have no more safety net.

If you can't take the extra rim, take 2 carcasses. They are much lighter and can stack on top of each other on a roof rack, or you can strap a carcass to the spare.

If you take tubes, and no matter what you choose to do re the wheels/tyres I recommend you do, get the right sort of patches for repairing the inside of the tyre. A poorly done patch can destroy the tube before you've even driven off.

Also, as mentioned by someone above, practice before you go.
Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 24024

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 13:10

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 13:10
take the 2nd spare AND the tyrepliers or R&R Beadbreaker (either of those two will be an excellent choice)so many places, so little time !!!
AnswerID: 24031

Sponsored Links