Esky's what makes a good one

Submitted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 19:29
ThreadID: 57704 Views:6401 Replies:14 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at getting a decent esky to supplement the Engel for trips away over short periods (1 week max).

Does any one have One of these from E Bay??
They appear to be reasonably quality, but it is hard to judge by the write they give for their actual quality. Also how good are the ice sheets they include??

Cheers and cold beers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 19:47

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 19:47
Kev,

Adequate insulation makes a difference.

I don't know how much importance the plastic casing compared to a fibreglass one makes, but I have had "a few" eskys over the years.

An "igloo" from Coles or somewhere. Pretty useless apart from keeping the water inside.

A coleman (polysomethingorother) which I still have. Not too bad and I still use it from time to time. Get two to three days out of it before the ice has melted.

An Evakool. (Fibreglass) The best there is I believe.
I freeze a couple of containers of water and end up with two slabs of block ice that fit side by side in the bottom of the Evakool. After placing pre-chilled beverages on top I generally include a bag of crushed ice to surround said beverages and have got four to five days practical use out of the ice. The block ice stops the crushed ice from defrosting too quickly.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 304365

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:13

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:13
Bill,

I am looking at getting an Evakool 56l but these ones on Ebay appear to be similar in design so am just doing some homework before parting with the $$$

If they get a bad wrap then an Evakoll it will be just need to spend more $$ I guess.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 570470

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:32

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:32
No worries Kev.

Just for your information, you can sometimes buy "seconds" of the Evakool range of coolers. They are just as good as the more expensive range, but have the odd imperfection which stops the sale at the full retail price.

I bought a 47 litre size "second" from Auzzie Disposals and you couldn't tell the difference. Saved a fair bit of money.

I'm a bit of a guts and also own a 65 litre Evakool. I actually bought this one first and it cost me "an arm and a leg". Good cooler, but rather large to be carting around camping, especially when I also take the Engel.
So, I tend to use the 65 litre at home for party time and BBQ's and take the 47 litre on most camping trips if I require extra room for cooling the beverages, etc.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 570474

Reply By: tukka - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 19:53

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 19:53
Yeah mate have three, one 100L, 80L and 12L. Live in Kimberleys and they dont do to bad, using block ice though. Only used them sheets once with the 12L and they melted pretty quick, though they were only frozen for couple of hours. The eskies probably arent as good as the $400 ones but they get the nod from me. Check there website out they often have good deals on there. I think it is www.Techniice.com. Come in alot of sizes too. We often go camping for two nights and use only the 80L for all the food and drinks (beer) and the 100L for fish and crabs with plenty of ice. We drain a little water everyday but we come with plenty of ice still.
AnswerID: 304366

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:11

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:11
That's the site I was after. I have read on another forum about those, and they have a pretty good wrap.
I am tossing up which size to go, I like the size of the Evakool 56L as it isn't to big to lift by myself when moderately loaded with beverages LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 570469

Reply By: Member - Rob (QLD) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:31

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:31
Hi.

I have 2 Tropical eskies, which work very well once you have them cooled down.
Not sure if you can get them down your way.
Have a look at the web site below

http://www.campco.com.au/cool-11.html

Rob
AnswerID: 304377

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:40

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:40
Rob,

I go to Rockhampton quite often and the equivalent size Evacool is only $10 dearer so probably not much between them.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 570475

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:56

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:56
i've got 2 evacool eskies and reckon they are fantastic, 1 X 120 ltr and 1 X 47 ltr i think it is.
the 120 ltr esky we used after a 30th birthday party once, filled it with left over beers etc and ice and closed the lid and left it under the house in the shade. opened it the next saturday and still had ice inside, drinks were ready to go for the bbq we organised to get rid of left over alcohol.
AnswerID: 304385

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 21:24

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 21:24
what makes a good one????

lets see....a plug that comes out of it that goes into the ciggie plug!!

na really....good handles!
AnswerID: 304392

Reply By: Hairs (Lawrence,NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 21:51

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 21:51
Hi Guys,
12 months ago we bought a 65L off eBay from a mob called Big Chilli.
It was A factory second. Wouldn't know it to look at. It does a great job, We freeze 4x5l ice cream containers a good week before we need them, and only have to buy 1xbag of ice every second day to top up and we drain the water off a couple times a day.
We also have a 50l 3way chescold. Between them life is pretty good
Yeah research it.
they do job.
AnswerID: 304396

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:09

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:09
Kev, I reckon buying a cheap ice box is false economy.
You finish up buying ice a lot more often than you would with a good quality ice box.
Then the cost of the ice is more than the difference between a good and a not so good one.

Also you run the risk of having hot beer when you run short of ice.

I have got an igloo brand, I don't think it's the one that Coles sell, but I can buy spare handles or spare hinges or catches for it if I ever break one.

Block ice easily last 3 days in mine. 54 Litre is a pretty good size I think, not too big to lift, and doesn't take up too much room in the car.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 304405

Follow Up By: Dave B (NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:16

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:16
Just looked at mine, Igloo legend 54 litre.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 570487

Reply By: Crazy - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:10

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:10
Hi Kev

I have two of these, a 60 litre and a 100 litre...reckon they are pretty fair value actually and very tough. Wouldn't buy the 100 litre again, that is just too big an esky really. Delivery was quick and cheap ($20)

I use the ice sheets as well, but block ice works best. Performance? well kept my stuff cold for about 8 days (with block ice) on my yacht...I am in Townsville.
AnswerID: 304406

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:39

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:39
Hiya Kev

You want the best esky around - Evakool

You just want a decent one,well they are everywhere

Cheers
AnswerID: 304412

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 06:28

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 06:28
ha ha

I was pretty determined to get an Evakool but the funding for it dried up with the cost of refitting the rear windscreen in Darkie :(

I hope I'll have a new Esky for Innamincka, cause I don't want to keep going back to the Engel all the time LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 570506

Reply By: Holden4th - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:35

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:35
I've had my 65L Evakool esky for a long time now and it's the best esky I've seen for keeping food/beer cold.

I freeze down a 10L plastic bottle of water (I use the Frantelle brand as it has a convenient handle on the top and tis the esky perfectly) for a bout a month before going any to create a huge block of ice. Because it's so thick it takes ages to totally thaw out. What I find is that after four days I've usually got about 80% of the block left so all I have to do is refreeze overnight the outer layer of ice that has melted and then I've got another 4-5 days.

No messy water in the esky this way.
AnswerID: 304433

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:32

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:32
G'day Kev, I have bought a 40 L one from the same bloke on Ebay. Nothing the matter with it. Colour blue, metal & elastic closing. keeps ice for 5 days no worries. I have seen exactly the same box in fancy camp shops for $300, I paid $65 delivered.
It came with a heap of that ice stuff but unless you have a way of refreezing it on the road, not much use. May be ok for daytrips
but I havent tried it. Little tip....if you go the Ebay way, set your top price & stick with it. They go off everyday & with a bit of patience you can score a cheap one.........oldbaz.
AnswerID: 304440

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:59

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:59
Hey Kev, I just had a look at Ebay & the bloke is "unbelievablycool", the boxes are Techniice. Seem to be still cheap. Only $20 freight anywhere in Oz. Anything over 40/60 L
will bust a gut to lift. 40 L is about the same size as my 3way fridge. No doubt Evacool are good but are they 4 times as good?
I doubt it.........oldbaz.
For anyone else interested go to www.ebay.com.au. In categories go to Sport. Under Camping go to Food Storage/Eskies.
FollowupID: 570523

Reply By: Leroy - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:38

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:38
I have 2 techiniice boxes as well. A 60l and I think the other is a 120l. The 120 is huge and as a result I don' actually use it very often. The 60 is perfect for what I need and the ice lasts for many days. Also fits in the boot of VT for the trips into town shopping. The tropicals and those blue ones from BCF don't seem any where near as good. Seems like those others have no foam in the lid and sides! Don't get too carried away with your bidding on ebay. I got the 60l for $42 and got mi mum to pick it up :) Bargain.

Leroy
AnswerID: 304442

Reply By: Red Patrol - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:23

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:23
Hi,

Just for info, I have an 'ICEKOOL.' It is a icebox similar to the techni ice one but is a cheaper version of the EVAKOOL firbreglass. Same builders similar insulation but without the fibreglass cover. Have a look on the EVAKOOL website I think they will have a link. Mine was $150 at the Melb 4x4 show a few years ago. THe handles etc are the same as the EVAKOOL.
Cheers
Steve
AnswerID: 304459

Reply By: Jo and Mark (Qld) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 16:56

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 16:56
I got a 65 and 70Lt Big Chilli coolers off ebay also like someone else posted above, I use 3 2Lt juice containers as ice bricks, When we went to West Kunderang, took the 70lt with all the food and drink,used juice bottles and threw in 2 bag of ice as it was the first time we used the cooler and really didn't know what to expect. The ice lasted till day 5 with draining, mind you there was little water to drain each time as the ice didn't melt quick at all. The juice bottles lasted and the ice lasted for 5 days and was more than happy with it all. As post mentioned above they are 'factory seconds' but there was nothing second about them and got both coolers for a total cost of $165 bucks and saved postage by picking them up myself. (they are on the Gold Coast).
AnswerID: 304720

Sponsored Links