Eagle V Magnum

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 11:01
ThreadID: 5776 Views:4325 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are think of buying a Jayco Eagle or a Coromal Magnum 340 off road models. Can anyone give us some feedback on how they perform off road and how comfotable they are.
Thanks
Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 19:07

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 19:07
Hi Bob, We had the same decision to make 8 weeks ago and we decided on the Jayco Eagle Outback. We were at the Sydney camping show and both brands were there so we had the chance to have a good look and talk to the dealers on the same day. Believe you me, it was a hard decision to make but finally we ended up buying a Jayco Eagle Outback. Why? Well there wasn't much difference. We found there was more head room in the beds that pull out at the end in Jayco. There were lights in both ends that pull out. It was a lot nicer stove and alot better finished off. My husband also thought the suspension was a lot better than the Coromal. There were other little things that Jayco had the other one didn't, I know they are only material things but it all helps make your holiday a bit better. Also there was an external light on the Jayco and you could access the storage under your seats from outside the van as well as inside.
There is a gentlemen on here who has the Coromal and he said he is more than happy with it, so I think it's personal opinion in the end, they are all pretty much the same. So good luck with your decision. We don't actually take deliverey of ours for another couple of weeks, but if your still around I'll certainly let you know if we are happy with it or not,but I think I will love it.
Kind Regards
Karen
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 24057

Reply By: Bob - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:28

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:28
Thanks Karen & Geoff We are off to look to have a good look at the Jayco this week and we will keep in mind what you have said. The Coromel people didn't have a 340 in when we went so we are still waiting for a call from them. Good luck with your new camper.
Regards Bob
AnswerID: 24252

Reply By: tessa_51 - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 19:40

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 19:40
Bob
Have had the Jayco Eagle Outback now for three years. Its done 40,000 hard clicks - Birdsville, Oodnadatta and Steszlecki tracks after heavy rain, plenty of forestry roads and lots of outback driving. Towing behind 2000 Prado petrol
Good points:
Towing - great
Fuel economy - Good (as long as I refrain from using cruise control)
Comfort - excellent
Erection etc - easy about 10 minutes each way.

Downsides:
Shock absorbers have fallen off three times and had to be welded back on (Serviceman says they are useless anyway so why bother)
Side steps are a pain in the a.... when going through tight tracks - they are the lowest and widest point of the camper - take a sledge hammer with you to straighten them out, or take an alternative portable step!
The B...... thing leaks in the rain. Mainly in the corners of the van itself where there is a silicon like sealant which eventually falls out from travelling over corrugations. The water leaks in and soaks the woodwork in the corners and then the foam lounge.
The canvas bed ends are watertight but are susceptible to condensation on cold nights - ensure you have some cross flow ventilation.
Had troubles with the electric brakes because they are wired up to the same earth as the three way fridge. Fridge on, minimal braking; fridge off, perfect braking.

So, I guess a lot will depend on where you want to use it. I emphasise that we have given ours a HARD LIFE. I've no doubt that if we hadnt asked it do so much tuff stuff it would be fine.

AND the service from Jayco has been FIRST CLASS
I hope this helps
Tessa
AnswerID: 24282

Reply By: tessa_51 - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 19:44

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 19:44
Bob
sorry, I forgot to say I have now replaced the silicone and have fixed the problem of water leaks - took some time to find the source of the leak.
AnswerID: 24284

Sponsored Links