Mount Augustus Trip Two Questions

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 18:09
ThreadID: 57816 Views:2886 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
(1) Which would you recommend: Mount Augustus Caravan Park or Cobra Station? to stay at, have LC100 and off road van (2) Do you know of any good bush camp sites on the way, going the road from Mullewa, Dalgety Downs, Landor, Mount Augustus.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:01

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:01
If you're staying in your van, stay at Mt Augustus. There's a grassed area for the van and you have a great view of the rock, sunset and sunrise.

You can get a meal and a beverage at Mt Augustus too. Showers are 'donga' style but do the job. Nice and hot.

I've been through Cobra and the Mt about 4 times. I always pick to stay at Mt Augustus.

Don't know how they get away with calling it a 'Resort' though...it's anything but. It's a true outback experience with a few creature comforts.

Cobra is OK but nothing to look at.

No fuel at Mt Augustus. You have to go to Cobra or Burrungurrah Community.

Great spot this time of year for the clear air, crystal clear skies and walk up the rock.
AnswerID: 304917

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:31

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:31
I better clarify something about the fuel at the Mt...On the occasions I was there, fuel was not available, although they do have bowsers.

I don't know why it wasn't available to us at the time but maybe it was the time of year I was there.

Maybe just a phone call to the 'resort!!!' will answer this one.

Cheers
FollowupID: 570975

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:42

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:42
Mike, we just pulled off the road a bit to camp along that route. The road is quiet at night. We had beaut hot showers at Murchison, and the roadhouse did not charge us even though we offered to pay. We were heading south so had been out and about for a few days.

We have stayed at Mt Augustus CP on two occasions. Very ordinary, but is was a few years ago. Worth staying to see the rock at sunset, and do the climbs. Are you going to go the the Kennedy Ranges too?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 304926

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:52

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:52
I had recently heard that Cobra Stn was no longer available for camping?
Surprised that fuel is no longer available at the "Resort". The showers were good as long as you like frogs. Also the galahs put on a good show at sunset.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 304928

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:10

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:10
A nice spot to camp overnight is Bilung Pool north of Murchison. Permanent water with plentiy of shady trees. I was surprised there is no fuel at Mt.Augustus Homestead as I got diesel there a couple of months back which was very expensive. Cheers
AnswerID: 304962

Reply By: Member - Reg T (WA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:51

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:51
Great people and food at Mt Augustus. Good walk trail to top of the hill too.
AnswerID: 304971

Reply By: Member - Agroe (WA) - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 11:32

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 11:32
In july 2007 there was fuel available at Mt Augustus. $1.95 diesel. Good showers & grass available to camp on. Cobra fuel $2.00 diesel. Camp site completely empty & stony. Did not looked like any body had camped ther for a while. Agroe
AnswerID: 305044

Reply By: Rowdy6032 - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 19:42

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 19:42
Hi

Up that way last September. Bilung Pool definitely the best spot along that route to stay if bush camping. Wandina Homestead also ok if requiring a station stay, about $20 per night. I was told Wooleen Station also ok.

Clear camping area's sth side of Gascoyne River on Meekatharra-Landor Rd ok for a night stop.

Stayed at Mt Augustus which had fuel, expensive. Had a look at Cobra on the way out. Didn't appear to have any grass and not as nice as Mt Augustus.

Very dry at that time. Pretty hot and had to get an early start if you want to do the walks. The year before the camp ground had been under water.

The roads appeared ok to me but when I arrived Mt Augustus the owner was busy repairing a number of punctures. I came across one bloke with a camper trailer who had punctures on his trailer and vehicle at the same time :-(

Have a good trip.

AnswerID: 305144

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 20:05

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 20:05
In 2005 it was definately Mt Augustus for us, Cobra looked like it wasn't operating, we had enjoyable 3 or 4 nights at Mt A. Also enjoyed a couple of nights at Kennedy Ranges, although we had to bush camp out side the NP as we have a dog travelling with us.
AnswerID: 305148

Sponsored Links