Fraser Island Camping

Submitted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 13:47
ThreadID: 57978 Views:3984 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,

We will be on Fraser Island in late September and are trying to work out where to camp.

We have 2 kids so need it to be family friendly but we don't need " all the facilities ". We are thinking of Central Station.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Janet
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 15:12

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 15:12
Hi Janet

Have a look here and here

There is a truck load of information available on this site - try the "search" facility, and try also the "trecks" section.

Have a great trip!

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 305747

Reply By: Member - 120scruiser (NSW) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 15:49

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 15:49
Hi Janet

Last time I went we stayed at Dundubara. It was acceptable except for every afternoon the back packers absolutely stormed the place to use the facilities.

When I go next time I will plonk my butt at Cathedral Beach. We had a look there and they are great facilities and really nice people. Also privately owned AFAIK
AnswerID: 305752

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 16:21

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 16:21
Waddy Point is the place i like
The beach front camping or the top camp ground are both good.
You can do day trips to all the sights from there.
Try searching places on this site Waddy point/camping
there are some photos of Waddy point top camping area and Waddy.
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 305756

Reply By: FirefoxGC - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:50

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:50
We are a family with a 3 & 5 yr old. We have stayed at Central Station, it is fairly quiet, the ranger comes around at 9pm to do a night check. It is dingo-fenced & the sites are first in best dressed. The only thing is that there are backpackers who stay there and when we were there, the toilets & showers were filthy. We all wore reef shoes and put the foam square mats down to keep clean. You do have to pay for the showers, I can't remember how much. The good thing is that you don't have to wait for the tide to go out as you can reach most things via inland tracks from Central i.e. you can get to Lake Mackenzie before the backpackers get there!

We usually stay at Cathedral Beach which is fantastic. The facilities are very clean (they even have a mop & bucket filled with soapy water so you can mop out the shower once you've finished). The hot showers have a great pressure and you don't pay for them (it's included in the site rate). We have our own shower so we used that when the kid's were tired or the amenities were busy. All camping areas are quite spacious, we have a large set-up and is grassed and mostly flat. We stayed there for 2 weeks in April. Can't recommend it highly enough. The owners are helpful and you also have a convenience store & petrol there as well. It's not dingo fenced so we saw a couple of dingo's there but they didn't come near us. They have rubbish bins placed up high on a pole at each camp site which is cleared daily.

I hope this helps.

Cheers Justin
AnswerID: 305781

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 19:40

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 19:40
We like Waddy and keep going back there
AnswerID: 305811

Reply By: Member - John F (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 09:21

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 09:21
Hi Janet

We are not hard core campers, in fact Fraser was our first camping for about 10 years. I was hoping to get SHMBO interested again after too many Hilton type experiences. We spent 4 nights at Central Station last year, just before Sept school holidays, in mostly wet conditions, in our crappy 15 year old tent, and she loved it!!! Insisted we stay another night!!
The showers were coin op - about 6 minutes for $1 I think, but quite clean and hot. There were not many campers, but even when full, the sites are so far apart you would not feel crowded.
The ranger was great - came around about 9pm so we insisted on a nightcap before he moved on each evening. If there were any noisey yobs, cubs or backpackers he would quieten them down effectively by 10pm.
The photo shows the distance between sites. Most sites had a large table - very handy.
Highly recommended.

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 305886

Follow Up By: jfwaust - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 10:05

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 10:05
Hi John and all others who replied.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

It looks like it will be Central Station.

Can you please tell me how I go about booking a site.

Thanks again...Janet
FollowupID: 571968

Reply By: Member - John F (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 10:43

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 10:43
Hi Janet

You can phone Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service bookings on 131304.
We booked from the QPWS office at Rainbow Beach the day before, as there is a warning that Central Station could be closed in times of high winds.
I will attempt to post the online link to bookings.

Fraser Bookings

Do your homework on sand driving if inexperienced!! Check with the locals if not sure, and if you go via Rainbow Beach and Inskip Point make sure you go near low tide - before low tide if really inexperienced like us.

We did a 4wd course and spent a day on Stockton Beach in really soft sand to prepare, and were glad we did. Saw some very stupid acts from people with all the beaut 4wd gear but absolutely NFI.
CUBS I suspect.

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 305905

Reply By: Member - John F (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 10:58

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 10:58
Janet

Just one more detail - it appears from talking to the locals that the Manta Ray barge is the way to go, as it is locally owned. May just be a yarn, but they were very helpful to us with advice on driving safely up the beach to Central Station. We were a bit nervous as it was a pretty narrow stretch of sand to negotiate just after getting dropped on the Island, and we were alone.

John.
AnswerID: 305907

Follow Up By: jfwaust - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 18:06

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 18:06
Many Many thanks to you all especially John.

We can't wait. It is part of our 10 week trip all around Queensland.

Janet
FollowupID: 572015

Reply By: billytwo - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:02

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:02
have been camping and fishing on Fraser Island for most of my life wont tell you how old i'am, I lile to camp at the Wyuna beach camping site (co ord utm 0530531 7220794) has it is well sited not far from Waddy, Dundaburra and great fishing as well as its not so well visited by backpackers and the like...good camping
AnswerID: 306454

Reply By: billytwo - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:20

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:20
have been camping and fishing on Fraser Island for most of my life wont tell you how old i'am, I lile to camp at the Wyuna beach camping site (co ord utm 0530531 7220794) has it is well sited not far from Waddy, Dundaburra and great fishing as well as its not so well visited by backpackers and the like...good camping
AnswerID: 306455

Sponsored Links