(vic) A campaign of destruction by extremists including spikes on roads...

Submitted: Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 11:25
ThreadID: 5809 Views:2537 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
http://www.vafwdc.org.au/News%20Media%201.htm

GUERILLA GREENIES Herald Sun - 3 June 2003

A campaign of destruction by extremists including spikes on roads is endangering tourists and loggers in a forest near Melbourne.The vandals are attacking roads in the Yarra State Forest, a popular adventure playground about 80km east of the city. Spikes have been hidden in roads, and drains have been blocked in a two-year campaign that has suddenly intensified.
The Department of Sustainability and Environment is aware of at least 40 incidents in the area. Officials fear for the safety for some of the 230,000 tourists who flock to the region's forests each year. The forest, near Powelltown and Gembrook, is popular for mountain bike riding, four-wheel driving, camping, picnicking, bird watching and horse riding. DSE field staff are struggling to keep up with the dangerous campaign, believed to be the work of fringe environmental extremists. Planks of wood with nails were found buried in a forest road near Bunyip two months ago. Powelltown DSE field officer Rodney Lynn said he feared that the campaign would become more violent.
"It could hurt or kill someone. That's what we're worried about," Mr Lynn said.
Spiked roads could lead to disaster, he said. "They will cause punctures to vehicles and could cause a rollover or run a bus or log truck off the roads," he said. The department's senior forester for the Dandenong area, Nigel Brennan, said he did not believe it was the work of a mainstream environmental group. "It is probably someone with a green viewpoint who is also a bit of a nutcase," Mr Brennan said. Forestry Victoria general manager Peter Rutherford said the blocked culverts could also cause a disaster. There was a potential risk for road users, Mr Rutherford said. "If they're out there after rain, and the culvert has washed away . . . that will have a catastrophic effect."
The attacks had been reported to police, he said. Most of the blocked culverts drains that prevent water building up across the road have been around Powelltown. At least 40 drains in the forest have been blocked, costing the taxpayer tens of thousands of dollars in repair work. Mr Brennan said the repair bill for culverts starts at $1000. Workers can spend an entire day unblocking culverts, only to return hours later to find them blocked again. Culverts are commonly blocked with logs, rocks, tyre tubes and roadside white posts bent in half. Gravel roads can be washed away if culverts are left blocked. Workers have been alarmed by recent developments, in which some culverts have been blocked with LPG cylinders, Mr Lynn said. "We don't know whether they've got gas in them or not," he said. "It could cause a massive explosion that will maim or kill someone." One road in the Bunyip area has been washed away and the DSE is currently assessing damage to another. "A lot of people come up here, and a lot of these things are happening on the tourist roads," Mr Lynn said. "It could hurt or kill someone. That's what we're worried about." Repairing sabotaged roads was diverting DSE field staff from normal duties, such as maintaining walking tracks and picnic areas, Mr Lynn said. One road in the forest had every culvert blocked.
The logging industry said the vandalism was most likely the work of extremists. Victorian Association of Forest Industries public affairs director Pat Wilson said: "It is consistent with, albeit at the extreme end, the sort of things green activists have done in other areas of the state. "It's pretty bizarre. I don't know what the objective is."
A spokeswoman for the Wilderness Society said the vandalism was part of a dirty tricks campaign. The society's Central Highlands campaigner, Megan Clinton, said environmentalists were not responsible. "All of those groups have never engaged in any kind of this activity," Ms Clinton said. She claimed the road attacks were part of a dirty tricks public relations campaign by the logging industry or DSE. "This is a cynical attempt by the pro-logging industry to detract public attention away from the issue of logging within Melbourne's water catchments," Ms Clinton said.
Ashley Gardiner, Rural reporter
Herald Sun Newspaper
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/printpage/0,5481,6534110,00.html
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 13:55

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 13:55
gday truckster.
that reminds me of a bumper sticker.
fertalise the ground. bulldoze a greenylooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 24201

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 14:13

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 14:13
wonder if you can still get them? I'll take 3 pls.
FollowupID: 16275

Follow Up By: Luke - Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 15:20

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 15:20
...and another bumper sticker:

"Don't bugger the bush! Bugger a greenie!"

:o
FollowupID: 16279

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 17:29

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 17:29
Diamond
I think you need to re-read the original posting.

The environmentalists are not responsible for these acts of vandalism.

And anyway, what is a Greenie ?

I am part of the Landcare movement and therefore have strong 'green' beliefs - looking after the environment for our future survival.

...and another bumper sticker:

"Dont bugger the bush, bugger an illiterate Nissan bulldozer driver"Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
FollowupID: 16286

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 17:59

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 17:59
C'mon Colin,

That is not necessary. For a long while this forum has been without vitriol.We have been coasting along quite politely. Everyone has a point of view. Don't make personal remarks about other forum users if you disagree with their point of view.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 16287

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 18:03

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 18:03
gday colin.
chill out mate i was only kidding or couldnt you notice.
and where do i get one of them nissan bumper stickers.looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 16288

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 19:31

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 19:31
Colin,

How do you know environmentalists are not responsible for these acts of vandalism??? Who else would it be ?? the BFG rep?

Is not anyone with a brain, or car, or horse, or bike, or bushwalker doing it... It would be some rent a hippy scum never worked in its life smelling long haired 60's throwback wannabe subhuman.
FollowupID: 16298

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 10:32

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 10:32
Hi All
true meaning of mindless actions, a bunch of crustie ferals protesting had a go at me one day, ok by the smell of them there were personally saving on soap & water but doing stuff all to save anything for the enviroment.
Being paid un employment benifits from my taxes to go around protesting against anything that makes money is a hypocritical thing to do. Having been personally responsible for the removal of hundreds of tonnes of CFC & HCFC refrigrants from the enviroment, designed & install High efficiency refrigeration & airconditioning systems that will save thousands of tonnes of green house gases being produced I sort of take offence when some smelly, dirty dole bludger who has never works or done anything more productive in their life than fill in a dole form calles me a Vandle & planet killer, because I was wearing a suit on this particular day & driving a 4WD. Had the suit on because I had just cremated my Uncle so he wouldn't take up to much space now that he was dead. Wish I had a gun that afternoon to control some of the feral population!
FollowupID: 16329

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 11:06

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 11:06
Hmmmm....It would seem that some of you may be against Democracy. Comments above by Old Jack strengthens the principle of strong Gun Laws. It may be that some of you are as radical as the people who you are trying to denigrade. Enough said. Lets get back to 4x4 Q&A.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 16330

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 09:59

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 09:59
Willem,
Like most ordernairy people, we each do our own bit, the differance between, myself & the feral is a wash & a Shave. As for gun control the comment about shooting is more toung in cheek! would rather see people out killing off the feral animals in the country side! travelling into the same areas & seeing the damage being done by wild horses & feral pigs & goats getting worse because they banned airale culling In NSW is enough.

The silent majority are affected by the Squeeky wheel syndrome, I'm all for protesting & having a say but when they get personel with the average man & women in the street it's going to far!

Have found over the years most people who go 4WDing are very environentally aware(some might find "GREEN" a dirty word), there are a small minority that make life hard for the majority, they are the ones that get all of us singled out for attention, the old Great North road (between Sydney & Newcastle) is a classic example, it's closed now, used t o be open to public until a mindless bunch damaged the convict stone bridges when trying to get thought the track after bad weather, clubs used to go out and do "repairs & rubbish cleanups" on the track only to have groups go through and damage it straight after. Does this sound familiar?

Happy Travelling every one
FollowupID: 16363

Reply By: basecamp15 - Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 18:36

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 18:36
Don't you love it how the spokeswoman for the wilderness Society has tried to say the loggers are the ones doing it, that'll get them onside!!
AnswerID: 24219

Follow Up By: GOB member vic - Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 21:11

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 21:11
they should treat the oxygen banbits the same as the bali bombers because they are only bloody terrorists in another disguise .i love my 4x4 driving but i like to think i try to look after the bush as well by not chopping up areas off the tracks but have a lot of fun on the tracks these dropkicks deserve the same as firebugs etc .did you see in the paper today what the "vandels "did to the fire lookout and thats for evebodies protection
better stop now or iwill upset someone
steveits arrived just got to get photo and download
only 35 sleeps to go then off nth to darwin yeah
FollowupID: 16306

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:10

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:10
It good to see that Megan Clinton KNOWS exactly who isnt responsible and has no idea who is, just some perfect opportunistic view to try to talk about logging.

Amazing..but not reallySo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 24248

Reply By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 19:41

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 19:41
If it was 'Greenie's' I wonder what they would think if they managed to damage several fire fighting vehicles on their way to save the forest.
AnswerID: 24283

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 21:19

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 21:19
Even funnier, ask them if they have any furniture, or what the frame of their house is made of...

or do they have a wooden spoon in the kitchen?

LMAO!
FollowupID: 16346

Sponsored Links