300 watt Power Inverter

Submitted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 23:30
ThreadID: 58114 Views:2124 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I bought the above inverter today at Aldi for $59.00. I only want to run a 15"LCD TV that draws only 45 watts. It's a Modified Sine Wave type, with an Optimum Efficiency of 90%, and according to the book should do the job adequately. I'm going to get another battery to dedicate to this task. Any recommendations as to what size/capacity battery to do the job, watching say 2 to 3 hours telly a night, and how long betwee charges ? What a big surprise I had to discover the inverter was made in China !!!! Cheers.

Roger B..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kcandco - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 17:13

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 17:13
Hi Roger

From my experience you will probably draw about 5 amps from your battery with this tv connected. If you have a multimeter you could check this easily. At 2 - 3 hours use I would estimate 15 amphours from the battery per day. The size battery depends on how long you will go between recharges. If you can give more info regarding charging situation, I am sure you will get plenty of advice. Dont forget that the inverter will draw power from the battery even if the tv is not connected so remember to turn it of when not in use.

regards Kc
AnswerID: 306553

Reply By: Dunaruna - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 17:35

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 17:35
I would suggest a smallish AGM (80amp?), nothing to flash, just middle of the road. This will allow for deep cycling and longer periods between charge and the AGM's are virtually 100% sealed so it is unlikely that hydrogen gas enters the van. That being said, all batteries should be mounted in a ventilated area sealed from the living area.

Would also be a good idea to invest in a multiMeter, the voltage feature will help you maintain the battery and tell you when it is close to the bottom of the cycle.
AnswerID: 306555

Follow Up By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:28

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:28
Thanks fellas.I had something like a 75 or 100 amp hour AGM in mind. I have a 60W solar panel, and a small 350W Honda generator. Also have a multi meter, so I should be grinning like a rat with a gold tooth !! Checked it out on the car battery today, and all went well, so I'll be after a battery and box now. Have a friend in the battery business. All this comfort, as well as a bucket full of sapphires, will please SWMBO when we're on the Gemfields in late August.Cheers.

Roger.....
FollowupID: 572559

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:43

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:43
Rodger,
Yes, with a "friend in the battery business" you can afford to get a battery that will completely fill the battery box, 100ah AGM min.
An AGM battery is superior to ALL other types of 12v storage batteries for various reasons, BUT only if it's a *quality* AGM battery.

Yes they are a bit more expensive than the elcheapo ones, but I'm sure your 'friend' will give you a very good price.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 572563

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:44

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:44
Hi ROGER
Lets know how it goes,but a word of warning, lots of electronic equip do'n't like mod sine wave .
Equip may overheat , draw excess current.,or not perform correctly.
watch for signs of heat , do not leave unattended until your sure its working ok.
AnswerID: 306856

Follow Up By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:59

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:59
Thanks everyone. I've noted all the concerns, and will stay on the ball. We're off on the 25th June for our annual Winter escape. Hope everything goes to plan. Cheers.
FollowupID: 572843

Sponsored Links