Been to the "State of Repair", thanks to our hosts in Cockroach County

Submitted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 00:22
ThreadID: 58116 Views:3596 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Thanksto our friends in the "State of Repair". Every road we went on seemed to be under repair and speed limits of 40kph abounded. You certainly know how to boost employment there with all the STOP/SLOW people on the roads.

We met new(to us) people like Kiwi Laura who is quite an intelligent young mum with her Jonty in tow. Nice to meet you for that coffee Laura and it was pleasant coffee even in maccas.

Further up the road we met with Member Garth J, who also drives towing a Karavan. Nice cup of tea at your home mate, done just purfec. Was good to look over the Karavan as we have all tailored our own gear somewhat. Good to meet the face behind the 'voice'.

We then went on to stay with our old SD crossing friends Navigator 1, Charlie and Robyn. I had my bike with me too on the Karavan but the Hills of Caringbah were a trial with all I had to push! Thanks for your hospitatlity folks. I know how you enjoy EO now too, meeting so many EO people since your first gathering in The Pyrenees last November.

Sunday Lunch with Member Willie (Epping) and Narelle was a treat and to meet Gramps too. I guess none of us is quite what is expected, it was great to meet these Sydney folks. We have exchanged many quips over the last few years and it was great to see the faces and the characters behind the screen names.

We drove onwards and stayed in a CVP at Nelson Bay where I had another opportunity to get on my bike and gently get around. Met another KK owner too, not far from there. We were able to find him despite the deficiencies of Whereis V12 mapping. Nice to meet you Darcy.

We then went out to bush camp at the Forestry Park in Chichester Forest. The guys there had just cut the grass so we had a lovely spot with the kookaburras and currawongs. Just after we arrived a forestry guy arrived with a couple of logs to keep the fire going all night and cook brekkie too. Good to meet and yarn a bit with him and he was pretty helpful minimising what we needed to collect.

Then off to the Goulburn River National Park for another night bush camping. Lovely spot reccommended by Navigator 1. We went in the full way to the far camp there up a 4x4 track. Another camper at the earlier camping area. Facinating to think of that peaceful river running the banker that helped to flood Newcastle.

Onwards to Mudgee the next day and do a couple of wineries before meeting with Heather's relos. Later that night in the cvp at Lithgow!

Next day to see for the first time on the road another KKaravan. Towed by a Nissan. They didn't answer on ch 18 so I don't know iff they had a UHF radio. We were to meet with Member Pete S later at the choicest spot of Mount Druitt shopping centre. Not a place he normally frequents either. Good to meet you Pete after talking so often. Pete is a KKaravan owner too.

We drove out to Wombeyan caves that night to bush camp again and treck through a cave on a guided tour the next day. 800 metres through the cave and it was pretty interesting to think about the number of caves in the local system. About 512 apparently but three that are usually publicly trafficed.

Later that day we drove down to a cvp at Albury. People next day telling me that they assumed we would take a while to set up so were surprised when they turned away we had set up and the lights were on inside. The comment was pretty negative about the costs of towning larger vans. They pondered that thee may be more pop-tops or even Karavans in the future to minimise drag and frontal area.

Our last day in Cockroach County was visiting a young couple we met on our first time up the Strzelecki Track that had rolled their car on the third day of their honeymoon. They had rolled three times and we spent over half a day with them that time making sure that they could access Moomba and the Santos people had provided for them. Santos organised a truck space for their car and air transport for them to get to Adelaide that night. It was joyous to see them in their home and meet their young son too.

We arrived home Monday afternoon in daylight after a lovely time away and it really highlighted the enjoyment we have in meeting with old friends and new. Extending hands in friendship and fellowship. I am sure we will welcome many if not all of the friends here at some time in the future. Thank you one and all
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:00

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:00
Morning John.

Your up late or is that early.
Reads like a really nice trip. Hope all is well with you and Kath.
Time now to plan the next trip for the KK.

All the best
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 306418

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 08:18

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 08:18
G'day Wim, Kath does a good job with Kim in tow. Heather does a bit of driving too on better road conditions and is building confidence with it. I don't think I would tow across desert sands with no track though.

Hope Judy is well mate. Younever know we may get your way with Kath and Kim one day. Think the next trip with them would be Innamincka and may come back the Eastern route. Some down the Brisvegas area to catch up with.
FollowupID: 572423

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:11

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:11
John,

You didn't make it to my place............what happened?? LOL

See you at Innamincka.

Cheers Sir Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 306420

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:39

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:39
see Kev.....someone out there thinks Im intelligent!!!!
FollowupID: 572419

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:40

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:40
I didn't think John was Blonde cause he must have had a blonde moment hahahaha

Cheers Sir Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 572420

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:51

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:51
Sorry...Sir Kev.....what does that make you then?? did you have 52 blonde moments yesturday then?? cos you know that Im intelligent, far more than you. I may be blonde on some days but I can still admit that that happens ... you just gotta admit that its an everyday occurance for such a knighted toad like yourself!

(bring it on !)
FollowupID: 572421

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 08:21

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 08:21
"John,

You didn't make it to my place............what happened??"

You moved Kev. I don't recognise knighthoods mate, with friends.
FollowupID: 572424

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:38

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 07:38
It was a good cuppa and chat.
Hows Lithgow??? Still cold and dump I spose! (Ii was born there...poor town!!)

Dont listen to Kev, he's just jealous he missed out on having a cuppa with me thats all....he had to yack on the phone for 20 minutes beforehand instead!!!!

If you make it to Innamincka, we'll see you there and you can meet the rest of my gang......

Laura
AnswerID: 306423

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 08:25

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 08:25
So you don't think anything good comes out of Lithgow? I think I beg to differ. The night was cool but Kim is heated. It didn't take long to cook up a stir fry outside then head inside.

Hope Joty is good too Laura.
FollowupID: 572425

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 08:42

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 08:42
Thats a little piece of luxury isn't it...heated camper!!
Lithgows alright....!It has good memories!!
FollowupID: 572432

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 13:55

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 13:55
G'day John,

Good read, but just makes me a tad envious. Sounds like you enjoyed the friendship.

Not even too sure if we will get to the gathering at this stage,
sale of our business has just gone kaput.......back to the drawing
board:(((

Is the KK as good as you expected? -and how does it compare with a KK camper for example?

We are considering the KK camper, but wonder if it is overpriced for what it is...

Cheers
Michael
AnswerID: 306502

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 18:00

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 18:00
G'day Michael, you may need to close up the shop from time to time and head off yourself mate. No that seems a bit too hard. LOL

I am not absolutely certain yet either about Innamincka as just five weeks later there is a Karavan Owners Group gathering too out of Alice Springs. I have nothing to do with the timing of either or they would follow one after the other with an easy treks between.

Michael, the Karavan is heavier to start with, no doubt about that. It is built for two but other have been innovative in fit outs for additional family members. They are fast to set up though and with no canvas except the annex, they are easy to close up too, wet and dry conditions.

When you are towing, you have to think differently to not towing. You have to prepare to travel more slowly at times, particularly in rough conditions, but the Karavan will handle the off-road pretty well. I have oversized tyres on the Karavan too so that gives an additional clearance and probably better rolling over stones and corrugations.

The camper being lighter is probably easier to tow. The Karavan is more expensive again but talking to owners there has been a lot of spontaneity in purchasing it. People with the Kampers swear by them and we are pretty happy with the Karavan too.

You could phone if you wish to speak with me about it. The number is with the Profile
FollowupID: 572688

Follow Up By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 11:39

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 11:39
Thank you for the information John,

We are looking at buying a place just outside of town at the moment...26acres of peace and quiet......so things are a bit busy at the moment.

Will give you a ring when things settle down.

Cheers
Michael
FollowupID: 572775

Sponsored Links