Cairns Holiday

Submitted: Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:37
ThreadID: 58170 Views:2272 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I'm going to Cairns for a 8 day stay (not camping). I'm travelling with early teen daughters and wanted to find out what people consider "must see" activities or places in and around Cairns. We're staying in a van park initially and are happy to move around as i'm hiring a car.

I'd love enyones input.

Thanks
Newbiesb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyds - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:50

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:50
Newbiesb, another site that I've found helpful for holiday destinations is tripadvisor.com. The forums and reviews can be helpful for accomm and things to do.

Just avoid the warmer months. Go for a snorkel. Take a helicopter trip.
AnswerID: 306698

Follow Up By: Newbiesb - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:57

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:57
Hi Lyds
Do you know an operator for the chopper trips? I'd like to do rafting but 1 of the kids is just under 13 and l think most operators won't take under 13's. We're goning next month.
Ta
FollowupID: 572628

Follow Up By: Lyds - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 15:29

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 15:29
sorry newsbiesb, it was about 7 years ago when I was last there. It was in November and talk about humidity....
FollowupID: 572665

Reply By: kiwicol - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:53

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:53
Hi, i live at atherton and regard the train trip to kuranda and return by sky rail a must, next would be a trip out to the reef. If you are very energetic a raft trip down the tully river is also very good. You will find most excursions have a pick up service from where you are staying. Regards Col
AnswerID: 306714

Follow Up By: Newbiesb - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:56

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:56
Hi Col, Thanks for the info. Can you recommend a reef operator who is good for families?
Regards newbiesb
FollowupID: 572627

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 23:05

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 23:05
Kiwicol,

I would support your comments wholeheartedly.

Train to Kuranda and back by skyrail is an excellent choice for the girls. A walk through Kuranda is also good for some shopping.

I would have to say the Tully River rafting (R&R Rafting) was one of the most exciting excursions we have done. They cater for all ages and we found the trip both safe and exhilarating. One raft amongst the eight or so, contained a group of Japanese girls, one of whom had no legs. This raft completed the journey upright. Every other raft somehow flipped sideways, or end for end. All part of the "manufactured" fun, but it shows how safety can be maintained.

We were actually based at Port Douglas and went on several boat excursions, fishing diving, snorkeling. It may be classed as a "cattle boat" but the Quicksilver charter boats out to the reef are excellent.
They depart daily from both Cairns and Port Douglas and they have their own pontoon out on Ribbon Reef where you can scuba dive, or just snorkel around in an enclosed area.

Bloody Hell, I want to go again now. Have been twice and will definitely head up there again.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 572742

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:24

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:24
Newbiesb
Check out this link

Cairns official e-guide

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 306722

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:52

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:52
Rail ride to Karanda, day trip to Green Island ?
AnswerID: 306728

Reply By: Member - Kevin R (QLD) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:02

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:02
Hi mate ,I'm a Cairns resident and to be honest, 8 days is not really long enough. Calypso Reef Charters in Port Douglas are great operators and will look after the family really well. The reef is also nicer off port than off Cairns. You should also drive up to Cape Tribulation for the day and if you have time Cooktown is also well worth the visit. Rafting the Tully River is a full on day but is the most fun you can with your clothes on, but i think there is the 13 YO rule. A trip through the tablelands is an excellent use of a day. A lot of what is on offer is also obviously dependant on how much money you have to spend.
Hope this helps a bit

Cheers

Kevin
AnswerID: 306730

Follow Up By: Newbiesb - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 20:05

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 20:05
We're willing to be reasonably generous on this trip. It's been a while coming! I'd love to spend longer but can't get away any longer than this. We want to travel back in a couple of years with the van and stay longer then.
FollowupID: 572710

Reply By: Von Helga - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:55

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:55
We went to the Reef with Ocean Spirit last Jun.... Fantastic.
Do the intor dive if you can.
http://www.oceanspirit.com.au/Dive_Snorkel_Australia_Michaelmas.htm
AnswerID: 306739

Reply By: Russ51 - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 20:56

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 20:56
Hi Newbiesb
We would love to have you and your family up for a visit. I work in the tourism industry so I guess I will put in my two bobs worth. Definately do Train up skyrail down trip to Kuranda. Whole day needed including walk at stop on skyrail. Reef trip, Quicksilver does it best but probably the dearest, will pick you up at venue and drop you off at end of day(great trip) again full day. Hartleys crocodile adventures Again great (from 10am through to 4pm will do ) and do all shows. A drive along the road to Port Douglas is a must, lunch at EJ's fish and chips in the main street. Also a day drive to the table lands. Were ever you go please be aware of following traffic and the fact that some of the other drivers are on way to work or know the road. Just use the slow or overtaking lanes and allow traffic to pass. Have a great holiday.
Russ
AnswerID: 306821

Sponsored Links