New to travelling

Submitted: Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:05
ThreadID: 58175 Views:2244 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
We are going to take our first 4x4 trip later this year. We are going to travel from central QLD across Northern Territory to Western Aust.
We have 4 weeks off and are planning on camping.
Can anyone tell me some great places to go and things to see. We don't mind going off road a bit.
Thanks Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Thermoguard Instruments - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:26

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:26
Hi Anne,

You'll get a flood of suggestions. My two cents worth:

WA and back is to far to go in 4 weeks.

Simulated mine tour at Mt Isa, Gregory River & Lawn Hill Gorge & King Fisher Camp west of Bourketown in NW Qld, Banka Banka campground ~100km north of Tennant Ck.
AnswerID: 306723

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:29

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 10:29
Anne
There is just much to cover , so have a look at the tabs along the top of this page

Home,Forum,Treks,Topics,Places,etc,

I;m sure you'll spen quite a bit of time checking out the information there.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 306725

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:31

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:31
Can't anyone plan their own trips anymore?
FollowupID: 572641

Follow Up By: Col88 - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 17:16

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 17:16
Wizard1,

You're an a#$!hole!

So I guess we'll never see you asking a question here then.

You'll be too busy wasting your time driving around looking for things to see, I suppose.

If don't want to help, don't. Why waste time with a ridiculous reply like that!
FollowupID: 572682

Follow Up By: DIO - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 18:26

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 18:26
Wizard your response is not quite that most users of this forum would have used. they might have thought it (to themselves) but at the risk of offending someone - just kept their mouths shut.
Everybody has to start out somewhere/sometime. However I am always amazed at the lack of basic knowledge many people display when it comes to everday, simple basic things. It is a wonder that we don't hear of more fatalaties etc in the bush. So many people are underprepared and often have no idea about de-bogging (sand/mud), changing a wheel and so on. How often do we read of someone asking 'when should I engage low range or 4 wheel drive'. Seems to me that too many people have large and disposable incomes these days and just go out and but 'the gear' without much thought regarding their safety and well being and a basic ability to survive. Seems that some are often more pre-occupied with ensuring mobile phone coverage or Internet access.
FollowupID: 572694

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 18:56

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 18:56
DIO
Some of your post I don't support at all, and I guess your the same with mine, I am a believer in if one gets scalded when deserved then one should also get praise when deserved, and that time has come for you so I'll say good on ya mate , well said,
Maybe Wizard1 don't understand the meaning of the main Post heading "New to travelling" , It seems most of us do ,

Thanks DIO

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 572695

Follow Up By: Member - Anne A (QLD) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:01

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:01
DIO
We have done a fair bit of camping and driving around the area that we live in. We have just got the kids out of home and have decided its time to further from home. We are researching all aspects of where we are going before we go to hopefully avoid getting into trouble. My husband has the skills needed to de-bogging (sand/mud), changing a wheel and so on. As for having a large and disposable incomes thats far from true here. We save hard to be able to go on holidays when and where we want.

Wizard I was just wanting to know where other people had gone so that we could then decide on which route to take. Since we only have 4 weeks we want to avoid wasting time going to places where there is not much to see and do.
FollowupID: 572726

Reply By: anne260863 - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 12:00

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 12:00
We choose WA because our daughter has just moved to Karatha. I just thought I would find out what places other people had been to and seen that would be worthwhile so we could decide on our route.
Anne
AnswerID: 306740

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 12:49

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 12:49
Anne
You'll just love the area just West of Victoria River NT.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 572647

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 14:34

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 14:34
Could take a look at the Savannah Way route (Hema do a map) and it continues on across the top end. Plenty of possibilities along the way to take a look at.

AnswerID: 306748

Reply By: Outa Bounds - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 14:55

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 14:55
My husband used to work at the Argyle mine for a short time, he reckons taking the tour would be well worth it.
He also earlier this year spent a day at Karrijini (sp?) Natioal Park and thought it was pretty spectacular.

In Darwin I can highly recommend Litchfield National Park, we liked going there rather than Kakadu when we used to live in Darwin. Other locals frequently went out camping at Douglas Hot Springs, unfortunately I never got there.
AnswerID: 306753

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, May 30, 2008 at 21:34

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 21:34
Take a week to drive over and stop at anything interesting you happen to spot along the way.... and a week coming back... try to change your route a bit.

Stay for two weeks at your destination and really explore that area.

4 weeks is not really enough time to 'tour' the whole distance.
AnswerID: 306843

Sponsored Links