Goldstream Campervan

Submitted: Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 21:29
ThreadID: 5819 Views:4213 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone interested in joining a group of us who are negotiating the purchase of a number of Goldstream Storm Offroad Campervans. We have commenced negs and obviously the more vans in the deal the better the discount. There is a couple of starters but the more the merrier.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Johnad - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:11

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:11
I purchased a Goldstream Storm offroad version last year. So far its been back to the factory and the after sales service is crap. Firstly the electric brakes were wired up to the indicators; major drama. They wouldnt get an auto elec to fix the problem, I had to do that and they reimbursed me the amount. Other problems include; fridge buttons fell off (still not fixed), fridge not installed correctly, sink not installed correctly, glass lid on sink bleep tered on hot day, lino floor not sealed (when I took it back to the factory they said they fixed but didnt touch it as problem still exists), front boot leaks water when it rains and some other minor things.

I bought the van thinking their quality was superior to Jayco (and paid alot more for the quality), but found this not to be the case.

What dealer are you having negs with?

If you live in Melbourne, have a look at the Goldstream factory.

Apart from the things I mentioned, the van is a delight to tow, make sure you get independant suspension. I sit on 110km/h on the Newell Hwy - no worries. Fuel econ is also great.

We got an excellent deal - from the show at Sandown heaps of free goodies.

Good luck
AnswerID: 24249

Follow Up By: Lod - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 00:20

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 00:20
Hi Johnad
Thanks for your comments.
Will certainly take note.
We live in Sydney.
Would you mind giving us an idea roughly what would be a good price to pay as they seem a lot dearer than Jayco.
Would dealing direct with Goldstream be of any benefit?
FollowupID: 16360

Reply By: Johnad - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:13

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:13
When I compared the Jayco and Goldstream side by side, the Goldstream is a much better build. The chassis on the Goldstream is made by Preston chassis, which is used by quality builders such as future systems. The interior, I found, is much superior on the Goldie as is the general finish. Just expect teething problems, which is common with all vans.

Pricing is something im not up to date with. Just make sure they include as many options as possible. This is the list of options we got,
Storm off road pack
independant suspension
twin gas bottles
gal floor
roll out awning
fully enclosed awning
outdoor stove and picnic table (really handy)
12v downlights
bigger sink with 12v pump
tregg hitch

I dont know if you can deal with Goldstream direct, worth a try.

What sort of deal have been offered so far?

What is your tow vehicle? Are you going to get the offroad pack?
AnswerID: 24332

Reply By: Lod - Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:50

Sunday, Jul 06, 2003 at 18:50
Thanks for your reply Johnad
So far the options you have stated are the ones which we have included in our inquiry and we have been quoted around $32k.
We have asked for the offroad pack.
Our tow vehicle is a 100 series Landcruiser.
Do you think this is reasonable as this price is about $6k more than a jayco with the same options
Regards Lod from Sydney.
AnswerID: 24340

Follow Up By: philippe - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 21:02
im in at that price
FollowupID: 16464

Follow Up By: Johnad - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:23
I only paid $25k 16 months ago, and 6 grand more than the Jayco is worth it.

I upgraded my suspension on the Patrol with Koni shocks and King springs. The van tracks beautifully now, I sit on 110 now worries.

All the best with your purchase and keep me informed.

John
FollowupID: 16489

Reply By: Lod - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 20:41

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 20:41
Thanks for that info John.
You definately got a good deal at 25k.
Dont know if i will be that lucky.
Know any good dealers. Im prepared to travel interstate and pick one up at that price. I know someone who would too.
Was the upgrade to your suspension on the tow vehicle necessary to tow the campervan?
Keep in touch
Lod
AnswerID: 24627

Reply By: Robbie (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:50
Just come across your enquiry.
All i can say is that I purhased a Storm fully optioned as above for $26500 6mths ago. Be careful that it is what you want.They are heavy as all bleep , and very awkward and cumbersome if you want to use it offroad. Full comsumption is terrible when pulling one of these mothers.Overall the van is ok if its what you want
but the finish and quality is questionable. Have had a lot of things fixed under warranty.This is a pain running back to dealer.They dont like extremely corrugated roads like all vans. My mate has a Jayco Flamingo and i think there pretty much the same.Dont think their quality is worth the extra dollars over a Jayco.
Not really happy with offroad and does bottom out a lot dragging it out of ditches and causeways.If i wereto buy next time i would seriously look at offroad camping trailers. There definately the way to go if you want to go off the bitumen.
After all they are just a fancy caravan.
Hope this will help with your decisionmaking.if you need more info email back reply.
ROBBIE
AnswerID: 25042

Follow Up By: Lod - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:11

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:11
Robbie
Thanks for your comments.
Will take them onboard.
Iam interested in talking to you about where you purchased your van because it sounds like you got a good deal.
I can be contacted on 0419264661.I woul appreciate a call to discuss further .
Regards Lod
FollowupID: 17015

Sponsored Links