idea's for a trip across the nullabor....

Submitted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:55
ThreadID: 58228 Views:2179 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy Folks, hows things?

Can I pick your travellers brain for some info....

A mate & myself are planning to drive back from perth in a month or so & we are both 'Nullabor virgins'. Our trip will be a week or so or a bit longer....

Hence, we are doing some 'homework' on where to go/ what to do.

If you can give us some idea's/ hot tips, we would greatly appreciate it....

Cheers

Ro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:33

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:33
As your driving accross you will see signs with a picture of a camera and an arrow down a dirt track that appears to go off into the horizon. Although it doesn't look it it is actually uphill on the tracks and 800m down the road and your standing on the great autralian bight. We stopped at everyone of them and thought it to be well worth it.
AnswerID: 306989

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 19:08

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 19:08
Hi Ro,

I love the Eyre Highway.

Have a look at the Skylab museum at Balladonia.

After there is the longest straight section of blacktop in the nation.

Baxter Memorial, sometimes called the most isolated memorial in the world south of Caiguna is worth a visit as are the Baxter Cliffs nearby.

Cocklebiddy Cave is awesome. Turnoff is at a reststop 10 kilometres west of Cocklebiddy. Head north.

Eyre Telegraph Station is worth a visit too. Now a bird observatory it also has a musuem and is 4wd access only. On the beach behind a tree is the original soak that Eyre used in 1841.

The Hampton Tablelands are magnificent and run from Madura Pass to Eucla Pass. Watch out for Kangaroos on the plain below.

Check out the Bunda Cliffs in after the border, as Howesy has said. There are heaps of viewing locations .

The Head of Bight is good for watching Whales if you're into that thing. Geographically it is useless, as the actual Head of Bight is about two kilometres to the east of there and you will have to jump fences etc. to get there.

Fowlers Bay has a nice little village and is quite "quaint"

Have a good trip

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 306999

Reply By: Holden4th - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 19:49

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 19:49
The stretch of road from Balladonia east is absolutely boring for about 500ks - you're surrounded on both sides by trees and all you can see is the road ahead. This is an ideal opportunity to explore what's off the road (if there is anything) to relieve the boredom. Luckily the vegetation vanishes and things get better.
AnswerID: 307007

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:17

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:17
Dont have to wait for the Nullabor for the fun. Check out the granite country around Wudinna. Info for the rocks should be available at the roadhouses.
Then 6 k on take the now bitumen (I assume) road from Pygery to Talia and check out the Talia caves, Venus bay before working our way back north to the highway via Bairds bay, Streaky bay and Ceduna
AnswerID: 307027

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:03

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:03
No bitumen to Talia yet Davoe but it is all the way through to Port Kenny via Colley Hill.
And I endorse what Davoe says about this detour but I am biased as it is were I was born.
FollowupID: 572968

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:54

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:54
Ahh it went that way did it.
it was marked for bituminisation for years with a big sighn saying it was a bicentenial roads project. This sighn was taken down because it was just a plain embarrasment to have a road this bad.
bitumenisation started years later but then stopped and was used as the locals drag strip due to low volumes of trafick.
havnt been on it since it has been completed
FollowupID: 572973

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:39

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:39
We crossed the Nullabor and return three consecutive years (summer) and loved it every time.

It took me four times (on our return the second year) before i found the track to the Cocklebiddy Cave. In a dry and rather barren area as it was that summer, we were amazed to see kangaroos resting under every single shrub. The Caiguna Blowhole right alongside the road and well signed is interested - you can feel the air coming out as it 'breathes'.

At Eucla, you can drive down and take a short walk to the old telegraph station almost covered by the dunes.

We have called in at every cliff top lookout and the head of bight (but we weren't in whale season). We have camped on a track near the cliffs (not official road to a lookout) on a windy night, and now prefer to find somewhere the other side of the road for a quiet night away from the trucks.

If you go via the Hyden-Norseman Road, call in at the Breakaways (a nice camp spot too), and various roack and features well signed along the way.

Enjoy the trip.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 307032

Sponsored Links