just starting out

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 20:52
ThreadID: 58349 Views:1584 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
we are planning a three month trip around oz. that is mum dad and son aged 8. thinking of buying a second hand 16ft. pop top. been searching the internet and papers etc. so many choices.we will probably sell it when we get back. any advice on
age of van to look for. are we better off spending over $20,000
to get something decent or can we get away with a cheapie. in terms of durability will a under $10,000 van fall to pieces on a long trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 21:40

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 21:40
Jassa,

where are you going?. Are you going on any roads less travelled? Do you intend doing any dirt roads? What vehicle are you towing with? What do you think about a Jayco/goldstream type camper as $20K will buy you a new one. The other alternative if you want to see a heap more of this fantastic country is a camper trailer. Usually a lot less and gives you some what more scope ( check out the Cooper at Tambo Campers for example). It really depends on what you hope to see and where you want to go? My brother is currently doing a 4 month expedition with his wife and two kids (8 and 4) round Oz with a Jayco Eagle off road ($20K). I did a 12 month extravaganza in 2006 towing a Tambo camper over a mixture of bitumen and outback roads. As to durability, it really depends on what you intend to do with it and how much prep work you do before you go (get out the cordless drill and silicone sealant!!!). Between $10K and $20K buys you a lot of Camper trailer!

So many decisions ay?

Cheers. Mick

Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 307610

Follow Up By: jassa - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:03
thanks for your info. we will mainly be sticking to the main roads although my husband thought an off road van may be the go. we did originally think of the jayco eagle camper, but as we will be doing lots of one or two night stays we thought we might get jack of the setting up all the time. also we went looking at them they do not seem to have a lot of storage room and thought it may be a little cold in winter. planning to go in approx. 6-8 weeks. thanks mick.
jassa
FollowupID: 573460

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:27

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:27
You're welcome. You're lucky in that you have a lot of options available to you for the $ you want to spend. What ever you do tho, make sure you take the youngsters bike! No. 1 way for them to keep amused and meet other kids in the caravan parks.

Enjoy.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 573469

Reply By: SOS Mail Solutions - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 15:39

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 15:39
Hi Jassa,

When you are ready for the big trip, make sure you have arranged for someone to look after your mail while you are away.

Have an wonderful and safe trip.

Good luck with the choice and the purchase.

Regard

Craig B
AnswerID: 307723

Sponsored Links