To All Travellers To Cape York

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 00:27
ThreadID: 58359 Views:2742 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I am now about 500km south of The Tip, between Coen and Musgrave on The Great Australian Cancacer Bush Walk, on my way to Wilsons Prom.

Access to the internet is patchy at best but I've become an attraction for the various bus tour groups making their way up and down the cape. I'd really like any members travelling up The Cape in coming weeks to keep an eye out for me and please feel free to stop and say g'day. The road walking gets a little monotonous at times although I have managed to walk large sections of the OTL away from the present main road whenever possible which has been fantastic! Please keep an eye out for the brightly signwritten Jackaroo support vehicle as well. It is being driven by Kevin "smokey' Dawson, founder of the VP 4WD Club. He'll probably be towing our great Tru Blu Campertrailer to our next camp!

Places like Archer River Roadhouse and Moreton TS, both of which are being run by fantastic people, have looked after us really well. But, one of the best kept secrets on the Cape is Charlie's Goldmine, 2.5km south of Coen. Most tourists and tour operators are currently stopping at Coen for fuel and quickly moving on. This bloke is a classic outback character and has built an amazing place well worth an overnight stay in his well cared for camping ground. He's the only gold miner left in the area and his place will remind you so much of Coober Pedy. Regardless of whatever Coen has or doesn't have to offer tourists, Charlie's place is very different and deserves to be checked out. There you go, the secret's shared!

My progress can be checked on the website www.thegreatcancerwalk.com.au and whllst access to the internet is very restricted up here the site is updated daily. Donations can also be made through the site and I thank all who have already donated on behalf of The Cancer Council.

Best Wishes, Michael Mitchell

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 09:12

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 09:12
Just make sure you wrap yourself in plastic and use a snorkel before wading acorss any of those northern rivers.
Seriously though, great effort, well done and keep safe out there.
AnswerID: 307676

Sponsored Links