Coromal Corvair Pioneer

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 23:29
ThreadID: 58430 Views:4613 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm considering buying a second hand Coromal Corvair Pioneer Tandem Pop Top and would appreciate any comments.

Its mainly for family holidays and will include some off road stuff. I have A Toyota Prado as tow vehicle.

One thing I have noticed that looks strange is that the air con vent appears to be underneath the van. Does this create a problem as far as dust is concerned?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 23:38

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 23:38
Check thread 50131
AnswerID: 308027

Follow Up By: Member - Paul M (WA) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 22:05

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 22:05
Thanks Phillip, will check it out.
FollowupID: 574069

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 08:00

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 08:00
G'day Paul

I own a Coromal Corvair Pioneer, tandem pop top van and use it fairly well full time, on and off road.
The off road side of it's life is not overly serious, but because of the vans ground clearance it does allow me to get into what I call a decent camping spot.
Sadly the builders of the Coromal need to take lessons from other van builders, as there are some really dumb Coromal design ideas.
For example, dining area window that winds out, but no more than 80mm because the vans entry door opens against it.
Apart from a few dumb ideas, the van is very practical and worth considering.
Your Prado will handle the van with ease, my van does not have the under van air con system, I'll be interested in views from fellow forum members on this subject.

Happy touring.

Joe

www.pilbaraironcountrytours.comImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 308055

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:07

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:07
Hey Paul, great picture. Another dumb thing I found was how the size of the table cramps up the inside. I am making a new one this weekend - probably smaller of with fold down sides. Other projects: Fit some compartments under the bed; reconfigure the waste pipe so it won't get sheered off (sticks out a bit much in my opinion); install a stone guard (had one on my silhouette which worked very well) .... and whatever I can think of when I am looking for something to do. Any suggestions I would appreciate them.
Cheers
FollowupID: 573901

Follow Up By: Member - Paul M (WA) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 22:08

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 22:08
Thanks for the feedback Joe. Your photo is a cracker!!

I spose there is always one or two things that aren't perfect. I had a Windsor Rapid that was almost perfect but the bed was a bit small.
FollowupID: 574071

Reply By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:58

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:58
G'day Paul. I guess either you like them or you don't. I recently took delivery of a new Coromal Pioneer Corvair (17.6ft) with toilet and air con. I must say that apart from a few irritating issues I am very pleased so far. Have done about 4,000km but as yet not too much dirt. I moved up from the Silhouette so know the Coromal pretty well. With the Silhouette I did some pretty rough stuff with no major issues apart from the spare wheel falling off the back - after some pretty serious corregations. Let's face it there are better products on the road but the prices are there to match. If I had $100k I would have got something better but as far as I was concerned size and particulary weight were important. I have a 3l patrol diesel.

On those who knock these vans - maybe they can be justified - but I have had some hairy stories about other vans too. I recently spent a night in a park where there were 2 top of the range 'normal' vans. They were in the order of $60 -$80k. Both owners were having a big whinge because the one had been back to the factory to have the wiring redone and the other back to the factory twice because all the inside panelling was coming away. They were from 2 different manufacturers. So, as far as I am concerned, I am taking my van most places I can (tar & dirt) but imprtantly drive to the conditions.

Perhaps after another 20-30,00ks I might have a different opinion. I intend to head up to Innamincka next month so that should give it a pretty good test. If it all falls in a heap there will be something for EO members to have a bit of a laugh at the meet.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
AnswerID: 308085

Follow Up By: Member - Paul M (WA) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 22:12

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 22:12
Cheers Fred. Best of luck with your new van and the trip to Innamincka. I'm jealous.

I used to live in Broome and ventured up the Gibb River Rd about three times and was amazed at the size of the some of the vans I saw up there. But the common thread from all the drivers was that if you drive to the conditions and set your van up well you should be ok.
FollowupID: 574074

Sponsored Links