external antennas

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 10:58
ThreadID: 58468 Views:1655 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, wondering if anyone has had any expierences with the external antennas that mount on the bull bar. it will be going on to a samsung a412 and hopefully give me better range
cheers ryno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:24

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:24
Ryno,you saved me asking the question.

Looking at doing exactly the same thing with a Samsung HKT300 car kit.
Very interested to see what comes out of this thread.
AnswerID: 308316

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:37

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:37
a broomstick antenna on the bullbar works fantastic, I do believe they are ground independent so it doesn't matter where you mount them
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 308319

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 12:39

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 12:39
Have a broomstick on my bullbar and a samsung A412.....we have just returned from the Kimberley's and used it on the reurn journey south to home (SW WA)

My experience is that it varied a bit with the terrain but what we did was to keep checking the signal when not connected and when it dropped out we then connected the broomstick to compare the difference

on average it gave us signals back to about 2 bars once the hand held dropped out and then in time dropped out as well of course as we got some distance out of the towns....i was quite happy with the result

at least it gives us the ability to camp maybe up to 60 k's out of town and get a signal...seems to be terrain dependant of course
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 308327

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 15:03

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 15:03
Why mount the antenna on the bullbar???
It would need to be higher than the roof to give you adequate reception. This may be (sort of) OK for a UHF broomstick antenna, although I think they look awful and just block the view in front.

You will get as good, or better, reception with the aerial mounted on the roof gutter, or even the rear/side of the front mudguard.

I have both a UHF antenna (driver's side) and a GSM/NextG antenna (passenger side) mounted on the roof gutter .
In town, both antennas are flexible stubbies which still give great reception. They are swapped over for ones of about 800mm for country driving to give the best possible range.

I have compared the gutter mounted antenna with a friend who has a gynormous "wankerpole" antenna as thick as a flagpole and almost as long and he gets no better reception than my (almost) unobtrusive antenna.

It gets down to a good quality (not expensive) antenna and location, location, location.

The bullbar is where I mount the sand flag.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 308350

Reply By: ryno - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:35

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:35
thanks will defiently get one now.
AnswerID: 308369

Sponsored Links