Do you need travel insurance travelling on Oz road trip

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 13:28
ThreadID: 58555 Views:3108 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have regular caravan insurance and are a member of NRMA Classic Car Service. Do we need to take out travel insurance for a 6 week road trip from Sydney to Darwin and Uluru? We are covered by Medicare for health issues I suppose though I'm not sure about emergency stuff.Also there will be a lot of stuff in the back of our Landcruiser including an Engel fridge and extra camping gear on the roof rack. Is theft much of an issue in the Northern Territory?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 15:38

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 15:38
I don't understand you question you must be Australia citizens to have a Medicare Card so if you are why do you think you need travel insurance if traveling inside Australia.

If you are Australia citizens and are only traveling within Australia the only thing travel insurance will help is if you paid money for accommodation or trips upfront and you had an emergency whereby you had to return home without fore filling you pre paid air fairs, accommodation and trips, they also will pay for retrieval of a deceased body of the insured.

Most overseas travelers have travel insurance to cover against costly medical assistance or emergency retrieval or if the place the were going to stay get burnt down, flooded etc.

I think NSW is still under Australia order!

AnswerID: 308776

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 15:58

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 15:58
Short answer - no you don't. Have a great and safe trip.
AnswerID: 308781

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:07

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:07
Nope.
However if you are real worried have a look at the NRMA premium membership.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 308783

Reply By: Member - Tom V (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:20

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:20
Hi Wendy.
I'm an Insurance Broker here in Perth. whilst I have to be carefull how to answer u, seems there are legal issues about this.

the medicare/health fund stuff has already been answered.

the stuff in your cruiser & van. what I do is extend my home insurance to cover my gear outside of the home. I will not get cover 4 gear in the open, but will cover as a result of break & enter into cruiser.
for the stuff in van I get my van insurance extended. u will need to check yr policy

hope this provides some type of answer.
cheers Tom
AnswerID: 308786

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:01

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:01
Isn't it funny, you go camping in a tent and something gets stolen from outside of it and it's not covered nor is it covered if the tent was left open but put it inside the tent and zip the tent up and it's covered.

I think a lot of people don't understand what is covered under household insurance policy's even if your 1000K away.
FollowupID: 574812

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:58

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:58
Personally I would't bother. I'd make sure that you have adequate cover for your personal items, most van insurance offers you cover up to a limit. I would just by way of precaution buy some travellers cheques that you keep in a safe place in the event of loosing cards etc... a lot more easy to do than try to convince some bank clerk somewhere of your identity when you have none. on return home cash them if they are not used.
AnswerID: 308796

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:02

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:02
Make sure you have current Ambulance cover.
AnswerID: 308798

Reply By: Lyds - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:43

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:43
Wendy,

We wrote our 4wd off up in the Kimberley. The standard insurance only covered only a few days of a rental 4WD. We had to and pay to get our family of 4 and all our (remaining) stuff back home. So I was quite a few bucks out of pocket.

I never did get around to working out what insurance would cover you for that.

I have done quite a few KMs since, but haven't bothered with it.
AnswerID: 308814

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:09

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:09
Wendey,

I looked into this some time back and genrally the answer is NO. However check what your house and contents insurance covers.
Make sure your insularnce covers the damage to equipment and people that you may create. ie liability

HWen I looked into it, it was about $35 for the year, so it's not a great deal.

R.
AnswerID: 308970

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:17

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:17
"Make sure your insularnce covers the damage to equipment and people that you may create."

"people that you may create" ????

Just what sort of holidays do you have?? lol

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 574994

Follow Up By: Member - Wendy C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:26

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:26
Thanks everyone - helpful advice to consider. As I have also booked a week's accommodation in a Darwin apartment it will probably be worth taking the insurance out but I will have to check out the cost.
FollowupID: 574996

Sponsored Links